Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i believe he means cordovan shell, which is basically a horses ass muscle. its very strong, very soft, and pretty hard to get

i did a search for both "suede" and "sno-seal" but didn't find what i was looking for. i was just wondering if anyone here has tried treating suede boots with sno-seal to get this effect:

IMG_1335low.jpg

here's a link to the full article:

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/index.html

would there be any long-term effects to the suede? i'm assuming they would age just like any other leather?

i did a search for both "suede" and "sno-seal" but didn't find what i was looking for. i was just wondering if anyone here has tried treating suede boots with sno-seal to get this effect:

here's a link to the full article:

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/index.html

would there be any long-term effects to the suede? i'm assuming they would age just like any other leather?

4177259824_38e6b2a4c7.jpg

these are those exact boots treated with sno seal and worn for 4 months(?).

If you are asking about true suede, as opposed to full grain leather, rough side out, the end result could be a whole different thing. I don't have any experience with suede, but with rough out, you get a water resistant surface boot that is a lot less fuzzy than the untreated version and develops darker coloration upon high wear points, until the sno-seal actually begins to wear off, in which case, the area starts getting lighter...at least this has been my experience.

those soles look a little melted... I've never seen the back side of the vibram logo... I didn't know it wasn't yellow the whole way through...

sweet boots I must say..

F'n dope looking. Thanks for replying. I think I want to give this a try. Any tips on applying the sno seal?

Use a lot. Work it in real good. A hairdryer helps for small amounts on smooth leather, but if you are doing it on rough out, its all about just working it in there. Its a pretty easy and pretty idiot-proof sort of thing. Good luck, and post some pictures.

Edit: Fyi, the boots on the left in the picture I posted earlier today are the same boots (by a different maker) with sno-seal (and some brown kiwi polish on the first application only) that erk has been posting roughly 7 months of every other day or so wear. Not dubbing service shoes is a mistake on a couple levels, and sno seal is a great way to do it.

With Rickson at least, its an M43. For WWII Impressions, its Shoes, Service, Reverse Uppers, Composition Sole...also called Rough Out Boots.

These i purchased close to 8 months ago and they are in regular rotation with my other shoes, i think i wear them around 3 days a week.

fresh out of the box

dsc6969web.jpg

after 2 weeks

dsc7021web.jpg

...and how they look now

dsc1286web.jpg

dsc1287web.jpg

dsc1290web.jpg

This here i noticed some weeks ago, both heels seem to have developed some spaces between the layers, and i was wondering if this would be considered normal wear on an 8 months old pair?

When i press the sole up the gaps close up a bit.

The problem is more prominent on the right shoe, which has 2 gaps.

I'm normally not a real picky guy and the more wear they get the better these shoes start to look, but i wouldn't want this to be harmful to the constuction of the shoe or shorten the lifespan of them, shoe guru's please enlighten me if this is normal wear...?

dsc1298web.jpg

dsc1301web.jpg

dsc1303web.jpg

Can't help you with your problem but I've been meaning to post mine for a while.

On my shell Aldens which don't have a full welt like those above, the heel seems to be coming away from the upper (where there is no welt).

Has anyone had this happen before?

I'm wondering if I should send them to Alden (I bought them second hand and I'm in the UK so it could potentially be expensive) or if I should get a local cobbler to have a look.

Anyone have any input?

i think its normal due to the wet/dry condition of the leather its like wood it warps and cracks but i think its nailed and glued down so i dont think you need to worry my ulitmate indy is waaay worse than that mich

On my shell Aldens which don't have a full welt like those above, the heel seems to be coming away from the upper (where there is no welt).

Has anyone had this happen before?

I'm wondering if I should send them to Alden (I bought them second hand and I'm in the UK so it could potentially be expensive) or if I should get a local cobbler to have a look.

Anyone have any input?

I'm thinking local cobbler (but one you trust) can be helpful and less expensive. But it shouldn't cost that much to fix. I'm sure its a matter of glue and some nails.

ya'll thanx for the rep!

i think its normal due to the wet/dry condition of the leather its like wood it warps and cracks but i think its nailed and glued down so i dont think you need to worry my ulitmate indy is waaay worse than that mich

cool Ed, you've made me worry a lot less about it now!

i'll keep an eye on them if they get any worse, too bad i don't know of any good cobblers in my area, i mean one who still does things the traditional way and really knows the craft of shoe making.

shipping them to Alden would also be a very costly expedition for me, and if i would be really unlucky customs could possibly even charge me duties on my own shoes when they were shipped back to me.

Thanks for posting those pics Lemmy, seems like it's a normal phenomenon.

Funny thing is that with your Trickers it has happened to the nose areas and with my Aldens it's the heels that have split up a bit.

So the theory that the beding of the soles causes it might be the case with your shoes, but the heels don't bend that much.

I think it might be the change in conditions that's causing it, from walking in a moisture condition outside to the drought and warmth of my living room.

The colour on the top ones is very nice btw!

Mich, I have that on some of my shoes as well... Hasn't seemed to have affected them (yet!)

This one is for Morse - my smokejumpers. Nowhere near as much character as the pair Denim Phenom posted. These are pics from when I first got them, which I think I might have posted before.

The roughout seems bombproof - I just wait until mud, dirt, etc dries, then brush it off.

whitessmoejumpersidesi2.jpg

whitessmokejumperfrontzr2.jpg

whitessmoejumpersoleyo2.jpg