Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Off topic, but how did demonito drop in rep points? zero?

Also, FACE, don't worry about these snobs, those shoes are nice and you can't beat that price... free.

I like your "style on a budget" approach. I dig it and don't get forced into being addicted to expensive stuff.

thank you and YES that is my exact approach. I dont think to get the look and feel i have to drop too much $$$ although if i could i would lol. I come from a humble home w/ $$$ taste and i feel this is the best approach although within the next few months i will be making a substantial *to me atleast* denim and shoe purchase

All the description says is Red Wing shoes $270. They're exactly what I'm looking for; dark brown leather, lace up, lug sole, plain toe. It's hard to see as the picture is small.

[/img]

Picture looks like a moc-toe to me, in which case I would guess it's the 8146.

But what you're describing, it sounds like you'd like the Gentleman Travellers.

This seems like the best thread to ask, and since Alden repairs came up..

About a year ago I purchased a pair of barrie lasted 2 hole chukka boots in brown suede. after about 6 months of wearing them (probably 2-3 times a week on non-consecutive days, treed in between), the glove leather lining inside tore along the heel region. I brought them back to the Alden store where I purchased them, and they sent them back to the factory free of charge for repair. After six weeks they showed up at my door, and unfortunately their 'repair' was to glue a thin piece of leather over the damage area, making a sort of patch. Even worse after about a week of wear the patch began to peel off. I ended up bringing the boots to a separate cobbler and having the patch glued on, but sadly its coming off again, and the leather around the patched area is starting to fray.

Any suggestions? Does Alden have a lifetime repair/return policy for factory defects?

Does anybody know which boots are featured in this GQ feature (http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/200912/best-leather-boots-winter-essentials#slide=11)?

All the description says is Red Wing shoes $270. They're exactly what I'm looking for; dark brown leather, lace up, lug sole, plain toe. It's hard to see as the picture is small.

Picture looks like a moc-toe to me, in which case I would guess it's the 8146.

But what you're describing, it sounds like you'd like the Gentleman Travellers.

doesn't look like there's a moc toe in the photo. To my eyes they look more like a distressed version of this boot that J Crew does:

red-wing-j-crew-899-boot.jpg

edit: on second look, the stitching on the side looks wrong to be the above boots. But I still don't see it being a moc-toe, just having some kind of distressing going on around the toe.

Does anyone know which model of Chippewa's these are? I picked them up this weekend... They're either an 11 or 12 but EE and just are too big for me.

DSC08649.jpg

Damn that's a nice pick up. If only I was your size. Looks like a custom resole of a 27863. It has the old school squareish roller buckles which I think looks better than the new butterfly buckle.

message from kyle at bakers

Ed,

We cannot get the #8 leather but White's is coming out with a new line of boots that were going to offer called "Americano"

They have 4 leathers that is "horse butt" just like the Chromexcel #8 by Horween leather tannery. They are offering Black, Brown and a Chestnut color.

They are also offering some other great leathers:

British Tan Pebbled

Red Milano

Cognac Milano

Black Cherry Milano

Taupe Bull Hide

Matador Bull Hide

Aztec Bull Hide

Mustang Bull Hide

Quemada Bull Hide

Oxidado Bull hide

(we hope to have these color examples and textures on our website in a few weeks)

We are still working on the medallion toe cap option - right now this is an exclusive to a Japanese Dealer but the management team at White's is trying to allow us to use that toe cap as an option.

I should know more on this next week.

Thanks Ed.

Kyle

Baker's Shoes and Clothing

"Outdoor Outfitters"

2642 Roosevelt Blvd.

Eugene, Oregon 97402 USA

Local. 541.689.5379

Toll Free. 1800.879.0514

fax. 541.689.2435

email. [email protected]

www.bakershoe.com

message from kyle at bakers

I just shit myself. Horse butt from whites. It don't get much better than a semi dress in horse butt.

Just when I thought I didn't need anymore boots. I wonder what the extra cost will be.

I will be interested to see whether the new leathers Baker's is talking about from whites will be shell, or just horsehide, and also, whether they will be available across all the models, or just on the new Americano, which I am curious about too. Hopefully if Baker's can get them to do a medallion captoe, they can get them to do a shorter version than they normally do.

Guest jbone45
updates : Alden 405 - 2nd polishing with kiwi brown - treated with Obenauf's LP and worn since November 08

4177263242_ace34e81cd.jpg

4177262034_402b348265.jpg

wwII Impressions Rough out combat boots - since Septemer 3rd 09

4177259824_38e6b2a4c7.jpg

4177260552_695134397c.jpg

This man has a great taste in boots. They are evolving very nicely, keep it up.

By the way, since you've been wearing them have they gotten less noisy when you're walking?

updates : Alden 405 - 2nd polishing with kiwi brown - treated with Obenauf's LP and worn since November 08

wwII Impressions Rough out combat boots - since Septemer 3rd 09

erk - personally I've always felt it a waste to spend the extra money on extra special deluxe ultimate custom Indy boots (or whatever they're called) for basically just a browner 405 boot (I know there are other things but that's the main idea). I say just polish the regular ones from time to time with Kiwi Brown. It does wonders. That's what I did to the pair I had a few years back when the expensive brown ones started showing up. To me they looked (atleast) just as good and were a lot cheaper. Besides this way there's a bit of a russett undertone to them, that I prefer to a more solid color. I know... to each his own, anyway yours look awesome, good job !! And regarding your rough outs... wow, I've considered many times getting a pair of those, I think your pics may have officially put 'em on my list. Did you treat them with anything, dubbing, olive oil, etc? Doesn't really look like it, just wondering.

Ok, so I'm seriously trying to find a good pair of NON black engineer boots,what are my best options? I believe I saw the redwing 2268 in other colors quite a few pages back, are their any American dealers that would have these?

Frye makes a couple too, and Chippewa makes a really nice dark brown waxy leather I'd get if I had Eddy boot-money.

One could definitely size up a half size from their Indy size and make it work with the Ricksons, as an insole is an absolute requirement for them, but I suspect that even with the insole, the Ricksons would be fine at the same size as the Indies.