Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

251.jpg

info on these vibergs? available in the US? definitely looking for something like that or some white smoke jumpers in the same sole/roughout.

i just orderd myself 2 pairs from vibergs directly..

roughout engineer boot and theyre western boot

and one more pic found that better shows the color diff from a standard pair of 405's...

354414717.jpg

Hey BFat...

If you do go with Alden Chukka's then might I suggest the 1339...#8 shell combined with the Chukka model on a Barrie Last is just perfect IMO...Classic and popular as well since I do believe it's Tom's best selling model from Leathersoul...Maybe when I get a bit more cash I will buy a pair...That's the plan anyway...

Hey BFat...

If you do go with Alden Chukka's then might I suggest the 1339...#8 shell combined with the Chukka model on a Barrie Last is just perfect IMO...Classic and popular as well since I do believe it's Tom's best selling model from Leathersoul...Maybe when I get a bit more cash I will buy a pair...That's the plan anyway...

thanks for your suggestion vegetaray, it would be a at least another 2 years before i will invest in another quaility pair of shoe/boot unless they were super cheap which i doubt will ever happens :)

ok, i checked out loftman umeda, hinoya, beams, warehouse and a whole bunch of other shops this weekend in Osaka. Im definitely drooling over two pairs of Alden boots that are similar in appearence and price but still differ.

the first one is a custom black pair of Alden boots for Loftman. they have welt all around the shoe and black crepe soles with leather lining. see blog dated march 26 on www.loftman.co.jp/coop-umeda/blog.html

the second one is a custom black Alden for Beams and the appearence is practically the same but the welt is only partial and soles are neoprene and rubber (same as Indy shoes) leather also feels somewhat different, the leather on the beams shoe was somewhat cracking, dont know if it means anything though (concerning quality of leather).

what would you guys consider is the best shoe for this crazy price? or should i spend my money on a regular pair of Indys AND black red wing GTs?

also the clerk at warehouse showed me a new model boots that will be released this summer, exact replica of service boots for 56000 yen. they looked great

ok, i checked out loftman umeda, hinoya, beams, warehouse and a whole bunch of other shops this weekend in Osaka. Im definitely drooling over two pairs of Alden boots that are similar in appearence and price but still differ.

the first one is a custom black pair of Alden boots for Loftman. they have welt all around the shoe and black crepe soles with leather lining. see blog dated march 26 on www.loftman.co.jp/coop-umeda/blog.html

the second one is a custom black Alden for Beams and the appearence is practically the same but the welt is only partial and soles are neoprene and rubber (same as Indy shoes) leather also feels somewhat different, the leather on the beams shoe was somewhat cracking, dont know if it means anything though (concerning quality of leather).

what would you guys consider is the best shoe for this crazy price? or should i spend my money on a regular pair of Indys AND black red wing GTs?

also the clerk at warehouse showed me a new model boots that will be released this summer, exact replica of service boots for 56000 yen. they looked great

SLAB...

For the price I would def go with the standard Indy's and GT's...Both classic boots...Also I think there is someplace around here where they are making an Indy shoe for pretty much standard price so why not those and a pair of GT's? That way you get a shoe which you seem to be looking for and a boot as well...

I've been losing sleep over these for more than 2 years. I have NO business spending the money now..., BUT I just have!!!! Full price, which is also against my religion, was $675. I've called this in from DaNang, Vietnam, where I am for a month. I can only hope the loving mrs will be so pleased to see me home that I'll be forgiven for this profligate action...(?)!

Shoes will probably arrive next week, but I'll not see them until the 2nd week of May.

Thanks, Amlai! ! !, for the heads-up. I'd have missed them otherwise.

Yea! ! ! !

Not boots, but y'all might like them anyways. Alden whiskey shell Norwegian split toe. Waited a really long time for these... placed an order 10/1/07, then it was cancelled by TheShoeMart a year ago due to leather shortage, and then all of a sudden on Halloween, I was told that they they were going to be able to get them.

img2646sized.jpg

I tried a pair of chausser c741 at blackbird and looked at its construction carefully. No expert in shoes, but I thought they're fairly light and comfortable and seemed as if they would last a long while with proper care. The style of c741 is very unassuming, which is exactly what I'm going for and reason why I did not choose c752, but the quality, texture of the leather and its design are definitely subtleties that compliment the wearer. Plus, it'd definitely go with my jeans and fit well in a law school or biz scenario. Hoping this pair will be one of the only 3 pairs I plan on wearing in the next 3-5 years (Well, shoes for galas and hiking etc not included), I bought them.

Price at BB is indeed substantially higher than in Japan, but not that much higher that I'd buy them thru proxy or rakuten. If I factor in shipping and sufu discount, it really isn't that bad. If you're not in WA, even better. Sales tax is 9.5% now.

Blackbird has something similar. Retarded price though. ($795)

You can get your wabi sabi on with the shoes.

pict2918jpg.jpg

pict3528jpg.jpg

Would definitely kop these hobo shoes if my dad was a sheik.

Have you looked at much of the other shoes/boots in this thread. Like 65% of them look like crap.

I've been losing sleep over these for more than 2 years. I have NO business spending the money now..., BUT I just have!!!! Full price, which is also against my religion, was $675. I've called this in from DaNang, Vietnam, where I am for a month. I can only hope the loving mrs will be so pleased to see me home that I'll be forgiven for this profligate action...(?)!

Shoes will probably arrive next week, but I'll not see them until the 2nd week of May.

Thanks, Amlai! ! !, for the heads-up. I'd have missed them otherwise.

Yea! ! ! !

You're welcome. Glad to see you're doing well. Don't see you around these parts much anymore. I miss the helicopter shots.

I have no business spending that kind of money on shoes either (especially right now), but I keep doing it. Unfortunately, since I've been waiting so long for this pair, I haven't really budgeted all that well. But in this case, I don't really regret it. I seriously doubt that you'll ever see whiskey shell cordovan for anything other than full price anymore... and it'll only get more expensive. I feel like the prices on shell cordovan have been rising quite rapidly lately. (Seems like at least $25 a year or so.)

Hey Amlai,

Yeah, I kinda miss those chopper shots, too. That was a one-year window in my life. I’m not eager to go back to the Afghan-NWFP border to get any more, tho! I like gigs where getting shot at is not considered “normalâ€. I haven’t been posting as many shots as I did before simply because I just haven’t had as many interesting shots that included any shoe leather.

I’ve actually picked up several really nice new pairs of footwear (Tricker’s Bourton, AE Bradley & Hampstead), but – irony of irony – I like them so much that I leave them behind when I head to the field. I’m traveling at a much lower level in rural Laos and Vietnam this month. The weight factor of nice shoes rules them out. That means I’m wearing runners or sandals, with a cheap pair of (very light) black loafers for back-up with officials. The loafers have yet to come out of the luggage.

But, once I get back home, I’ll probably be changing shoes three times a day just to get the rush of being well-shod again. AND, I’ll have to swear some sort of oath that I’ll not buy a thing for, like, forever!!!! (Or, figure out some really cool compensation gift!)

:cool:

I don't know but the packaging looks good.

the chelsea stuff is cool but I really think Pecards is gentler and works better than anything. Wax for Indy-type and more finished leather, and Pecard boot oil for oiled leather like red wing 1907's. Applies very evenly and not greasy at all. Gives a nice texture when the leather bends after being oiled.

Well I finally picked up a pair of "almost" the saddle shoes I was looking for. Not quite a cream color but close and they're navy. Seem to be a decently made pair of shoes.

Cole Haan Saddle shoes...

in shade

3435547667_690306b5b0.jpg?v=0

in sunlight

3436351206_12a558c8bd.jpg?v=0

Check out my signature for a few pairs at tiny shoes that look better with age. I am getting rid of both my shell cordovan chukkas, and a pair of LTT Smokejumpers. The prices aren't bad either. Let your friends with small feet know. Thanks.

MrB - Careful, I have normal arches and when I first got my Whites I took them on a one month working trip and thought I had broken my feet! It felt like I was walking on the edge of a curb all day. It took the majority of the whole trip before I got used to it. I almost tossed them out a window.

Six years, one rebuild and one resole later, I still love them...