Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Not a fan of those Troys with... anything. Too casual for suits, and too american to pull off the sleeker, austerity-brogue-ish thing. And def go for brown.

And no offense, Raised by Wolves, but I am not a fan of the Fairfax. Allen Edmonds should stick to traditional american styles--they can't pull that crap off. Remember, they also make these:

hillcrestdisplayti2.gif

Blech.

Not a fan of those Troys with... anything. Too casual for suits, and too american to pull off the sleeker, austerity-brogue-ish thing. And def go for brown.

And no offense, Raised by Wolvers, but I am not a fan of the Fairfax. Allen Edmonds should stick to traditional american styles--they can't pull that crap off. Remember, they also make these:

hillcrestdisplayti2.gif

Blech.

ehhhhh... i was accused of having those over at the other sf. i think thats thier version of flaming.

Ha, that's kind of true. I was hoping to find a pic of the woven, old man loafers I'm sure they've made in the past, but I couldn't. Bottom line is, AE's are not sleek shoes, in general. When they try to do a sleek style, it doesn't usually look right. It doesn't work for me, anyway. They're much more adept at making boardroom gunboats like the park avenue.

EDIT: IMHO, those fairfaxes are just as bad as the ones above. Sorry.

hey airfrog,

look!

alden 405's in shell cordovan-------that's badass!

20060403indyus9.jpg

click for link to leathersoulhawaii

Those shoes are hot. Man I need more money. I think I need to invest in the military industrial complex.

miz, leathersoul in hawaii has them. or you can call in a custom order to alden-of-carmel or whomever else----it takes about 6 weeks, apparently.

here is a transcript of a CNN piece on Alden Shoe Company:

DOBBS: Now, "Made in America," our series of special reports recognizing companies that carry the made in the USA label. Tonight an American classic popular with discriminating businessmen worldwide. The Alden Shoe Company has been making shoes for more than a century. Every single pair made in New England.

Peter Viles reports from Middleborough, Massachusetts.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

PETER VILES, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): If you ever want to go back in time, get a good map and find the Alden Shoe factory south of Boston where they make men's shoes as they did a century ago, by hand, one stitch at a time.

ART TARLOW, CEO, ALDEN SHOES: We're here to accomplish something, something that's a little bit special, and not common.

VILES: Nothing common about Alden Shoes. They're made with the finest leathers, including shelled cordova from Chicago, fashioned by a 100 craftsman, priced at $275 a pair and higher.

BRIAN COATS, FASHION EDITOR, GQ: They recognize what's important to their customer and, you know, to their customer, what's important is a classic, well-made shoe that's comfortable, and, you know, something that doesn't go out of style.

TARLOW: Hi, Walter, got some shoes to (UNINTELLIGIBLE)?

VILES: The CEO, Art Tarlow, is a throwback, a third generation shoe maker. His grandfather bought the company from Mr. Alden in '30s. His father invented the tassel loafer in the '50s. He says fine leather has character and shoes, if they're well made, they have personality and integrity. Could you outsource all of this? Of course, you could, as long as you don't care about the personality, character and the integrity.

TARLOW: We need to make this product where we can make it best. And we need to make it where we all are, and that means we're in New England.

VILES: Workers belong the Shoe Makers Union. Many have been here for decades.

SHIRLEY QUAGAN, ALDEN SHOE EMPLOYEE: I came here when I was 43, I'm 75 now. And I work eight hours a day. I started out cutting linings 14 years ago they decided I was boss material because I'm very well organized. I like it. They've been very, very good to me.

VILES (on camera): Shoe making has a rich history in New England. Alden believes it has a bright future. In fact, the company is a partner in a brand new shoe company up in Maine.

Peter Viles, CNN, Middleborough, Massachusetts.

(END VIDEOTAPE)