Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

nice boots.

Is this superdenim and things to compliment denim forum now?

I can't believe we're gonna start accessorizing our jeans, (red moon braids, $1000 boots, red moon wallets for back pocket etc....)

DD, it's hard to have top of the line jeans and not have the same quality elsewhere. jeans are like a gateway drug.

btw, i found a great site that shows how to do a military spit shine. i got a shoe shine box today with polish and cleaner.

http://www.cadetstuff.org/how_to/200201_elliott_bulling.htm

another one that has an interesting nylon technique:

http://www.bootdog.com/spitshine.html

and another one that suggests using a hair dryer to melt the polish first:

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/spitshine.htm

happy shining!

thanks ddml.

btw, i'm doing some more reading on cordovans. they are awesome, and i think they are they type of leather on the shoe that my friend had. the fact that you don't need to polish as much and the fact that they will last a long time makes the price well worth it.

i figure, in the past, i've spent about $100 a pair on kenneth coles/aldos that fall apart in less than a year. add repairs of about $20-$30 a couple times a year. plus, the inconvenience of my shoes always falling apart. i'm so sick of having to buy/repair my shoes.

time to do some grown man stuff and buy me a pair of good aldens...

my friend from england is coming in this weekend. he's going to buy a pair of jeans and i'm going to buy a pair of shoes.

thanks ddml.

btw, i'm doing some more reading on cordovans. they are awesome, and i think they are they type of leather on the shoe that my friend had. the fact that you don't need to polish as much and the fact that they will last a long time makes the price well worth it.

i figure, in the past, i've spent about $100 a pair on kenneth coles/aldos that fall apart in less than a year. add repairs of about $20-$30 a couple times a year. plus, the inconvenience of my shoes always falling apart. i'm so sick of having to buy/repair my shoes.

time to do some grown man stuff and buy me a pair of good aldens...

my friend from england is coming in this weekend. he's going to buy a pair of jeans and i'm going to buy a pair of shoes.

youre taking your friend to kick in the door wave in the 4-4 at B.I.G?

miznation-

on cordovan, you can also think of it as the shoe equivalent to raw denim, in the fact that it essentially molds to the shape of yr foot, think like foam gel epa insoles kind of thing, just with an all leather shoe, all over yr foot. if you have a choice, go with cordovan, and if yr at the alden store,in nyc,. might want to turn the corner and check out allen edmonds (i don't think they carry any boots similar to alden indy, but some consider the shoes even higher quality)

also might want to cross the street and check out the old brooks bros store, they carry peel & co shoes, i think they're english made, same level of quality as alden / ae

it's good to see denimheads finally moving past the all sneaker stage of life, a bit childish, anyone who takes the time and puts the effort and cash into a primo pair of jeans, should also own a primo pair of boots.

just my thoughts

if you have a choice, go with cordovan, and if yr at the alden store,in nyc,. might want to turn the corner and check out allen edmonds (i don't think they carry any boots similar to alden indy, but some consider the shoes even higher quality)

do you mean AE is better than the Alden Indy boot, or AE is better than Alden? I thought the general consensus was that Alden was better than AE. I DID read that the INDY does not measure up to other Alden shoes/boots. I'd like to throw out there that Alden-of-Carmel products (particularly the FAN series) are better than the straight Alden line.

i would say it's pretty much a wash, some people prefer alden, some will only wear allen edmonds. i don't think you can go wrong with either. from my own knowledge, it seems that alden does a better job at more casual type shoes (ther loafers, boots, etc..) while AE makes better top of the line dress shoes. but again, probably all in the eye of the beholder, or the preference of the buyer. as far as quality goes they're pretty much on the same level

Nice! Soooo shiny, it's gonna be painful to get that first scratch on it. So how's the maintenance suppose to go on these? You just let them get dirty ala raw jeans or you polish them as needed? And what are they suppose to look like worn in.

maintenance is supposed to be minimal. much less so than calf leather. a quick brushing should do it. they don't actually polish to a "mirror shine", but they glow. purists hate the idea of black cordovan, but opt for cordovan-color cordovan, a deep burgundy.

i have never seen these boots in person, mind you...

Man those boots look nice. Would sure love a pair. I am in the market for some nice brown leather boots. I believe my limit will be $200. Any suggestions. I was thinking ALDOs, but I wasn't all that impressed with the quality.

wachout lester, ddml, thanks for the info.

lester, i will definitely check out both stores. i like how you described cordovans as the shoe equivalent of raw denim. that statement alone is going to get a lot of superdenim people into cordovans.

chicken, that's a nice site.

Man those boots look nice. Would sure love a pair. I am in the market for some nice brown leather boots. I believe my limit will be $200. Any suggestions. I was thinking ALDOs, but I wasn't all that impressed with the quality.

rnrswitch, DO NOT GET ALDOS.

they will fall apart within months. i've wasted hundreds of dollars on their worthless shoes. i just didn't know there were alternatives.

if you want a good, inexpensive shoe, try taxto. they are italian made and are much higher quality than kenneth cole ny or aldo.

it's good to see denimheads finally moving past the all sneaker stage of life, a bit childish,

just my thoughts

that statement is a bit childish.

Firstly it implies that everyone who is into premium raw denim is of a certain age (which they arent)

Secondly it implies you should walk around in super-luxurious leather shoes at all times, which would frankly look ridiculous with well worn jeans. Those type of boots and shoes just dont go with all outfits anyway.

whoa, don't get yr super limited, Nike SB collector's edition panties in a twist.

i expected more from someone who goes by the name "sneaker addict"

so well-worn jeans and leather boots don't really go together, eh? how long have jeans been around for now, about 120 years, give or take, and how long have sneakers been a staple of people's wardrobes? 20 years? 25? 30 is pushin it. what did people wear with their jeans before Nike's got popular?

and i don't really know what you mean by the other comment (the "firstly" one). i'm 24, does that mean i'm supposed to wear sneakers?

go ahead and flame this shit, it doesn't really belong in denim anyway