Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Off the top of my head, Free & Easy featured Alden, Irish Settler (A Redwing company, but I think their products for the USA are different from what they sell in Japan), and Churches.

Wherever you get them, I would just be sure that they can rebuild them for you after a few years.

BTW - airfrog - you're shoes look amazing.

hey miz, churches shoes are the origional and best, but pricey, loake make nice ones, jones's bootmaker also look cool, all are exceptionally well made.

Charles Thywitt do classic feet, clarks are best value tho.

For the purist go churches made to measure

I agree with viv, UK handmade shoes are the best (such as churches and loake). Fully welted soles. They're as hard as nails... they'll probably hurt your feet and will take ages to break in, but that means that once broken in - they'll take years before they wear out.

Or you could look for these NDCs.

ndc01.jpg

ndc03.jpg

... if you don't mind feeling like a cowboy.

wow, great suggestions. i completely forgot about church's.

btw, i went to a big shoe store in the financial district and i asked the salesman if they had any heavy duty shoes that look better with age. i described what i was looking for and he knew exactly what i was talking about. he said that they don't carry shoes of that high quality. he did show me something that was close and i bought a pair of full-grain leather black boots.

i am still waiting to hear from my british friend.

Wow - those really look great. I noticed on alden's site though, halfway down this page http://www.indygear.com/gear/boots.shtml its mentioned that about 5 years ago they switched to a lighter color leather. I really like the shade on yours. Anyone with the more recent model care to comment on how they age? Maybe with the right polish they could look like the older ones. Or maybe those are the "newer" model?

I just got a pair of aldens a couple months ago and I love them. They don't seem much lighter than the ones in the picture. I purchased some brown leather dressing from Pecards and they have darkened after two applications...of course, they become even darker with age and wear

n.d.c. made by hand was a great suggestion - there are some on sale at barneys right now.

other labels

carpe diem - absolutely the king, but incredibly expensive.

moma

collection privee

paul hardnen - also very expensive though :-(

UK is to shoes as Japan is to denim.

Ha ha... I think I kind of agree with you there, at least where classical styles are concerned.

I think Italy is a close contender though, if you are looking for a classic european style (obviously!)

Looking forward to seeing these pics though.

The most important aspect to try to identify will prob be the sole and (innersole), just to see if there is ANY remnants of recognisable branding.

I am little jealous of those in the US though because I need a pair of those Indy Aldens but I dont wanna buy them and have to pay shipping and then British Import Tax on them.

damn first snekers, then denim...now boots u superdenim addicts need to stop with these threads that match so good with our denim, im running low on money bad. The good thing is i havent bought any denim in the past few weeks. (Well still waiting for my gf to book a NY trip for the soul purpose of B.I.G.)

I got a pair of Carpe Diem horsehide boots last year. They were already pretty beat up looking (since the hide had been buried in mongolian pony shit for six months or some fucking nonsense like that) but have just gotten better with wear. I kind of felt like a victim having spent such an obscene amount of $$ on footwear at first, but the I realized that I'll have these things for years if I keep the soles in decent condition and give them the occasional spit-polish.

So yeah, if you can stomach the price point (and you can locate them), I definitely recommend looking at C Diem. Avoid the calf skin and go direct to cordovan or horsehide though. Things are bulletproof.

^ Nice pics Yakboy. Tried those Black Zips Boots on at Barneys the other weekend. Its too bad they aren't going on sale .....

Like I said, try n.d.c. made by hand (also in barneys (on the co-op floor) or collection privee (also in barneys) for cheaper, but still high quality alternatives.

those carpe diems are super expensive!!!!!! completely out of my price range, but they look great.

to satisfy my shoe fix, i bought a pair of black taxto zip up boots. italian made, full-grain leather, stylish and cheap! they cost around $90. also bought a pair of black leather converse chuck taylors.

now, i have to decide which brown or red shoe i want to get. alden indy's are close to the top of the list.

damn first snekers, then denim...now boots u superdenim addicts need to stop with these threads that match so good with our denim, im running low on money bad. The good thing is i havent bought any denim in the past few weeks. (Well still waiting for my gf to book a NY trip for the soul purpose of B.I.G.)

You can never have too many boots,it's just like kicks.