Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

One of my friends from England had on a pair of shoes that were beautiful. You could tell that they've been broken in over years. He had polished them impeccably and they looked great with a pair of worn jeans. They were that burgundy color with the dark creases, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

So, I want a pair of shoes or boots that will age like this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, no sneakers please. Thanks.

Any good leather boot will look better with age. Look into Frye boots. Top notch quality.

gokey boots. here are mine that are many many many many years old.

166124.jpg

they look alot better than any boots ive seen before. hand made and all that good shit if youre into that. i think orvis sells them, but id try to find some vintage ones on ebay for cheap.

i am a cheap bastard tho, so you may want new.

To Miz,

I dont think I understand what the original question is......

Why dont you ask your friend what make they are?

It sounds like they are a British company. If so, most old British shoe companies make the same models in continuous production. That is to say, they are old classics which are always in stock / available for sale.

sneakeraddict, i wish i could! he bought them at a thrift store somewhere in the british countryside. the person who wore them originally had died and i think all the branding has been worn off. i will ask my friend if he can find some kind of indication of what kind of shoe it is.

i think the british companies are the way to go. if anyone has any suggestions for good brit shoe companies, please let me know.

thanks sneaker addict, i really appreciate it!

my friend is a really cool guy. former R.A.F., former competitive decathalete and powerlifter, gourmet chef, plus he has good style. everyone who works with him thinks he's a spy. anyways, he's a like a cool uncle i never had. i'll have him send pics.

yeah, i want to buy them new so i can wear them in myself.

the frye boots look great, i like the engineer boots (maybe because i am an engineer).

rnrswitch, what shoes do you wear for work? do you stick with the industry standard timberlands?

Miz...

I am an engineer also (Electrical). I typically wear my Frye (black belted harness 12"rise) boots with my RRDS or some Chucks with my Jean Shops. I really like the dark brown Harness Frye boots. The leather is very supple. I bought a pair for my girlfriend and I wished I had bought that color instead of black for myself.

I simply bought black, because my entire wardrobe is black, but after seeing their other colors I have decided to try to loosen up my wardrobe a bit.

Miz...

I am an engineer also (Electrical). I typically wear my Frye (black belted harness 12"rise) boots with my RRDS or some Chucks with my Jean Shops. I really like the dark brown Harness Frye boots. The leather is very supple. I bought a pair for my girlfriend and I wished I had bought that color instead of black for myself.

Super OT, but I'm in school right now for EE, it's nice to see some fellow engineers on the board!

hey miz, churches shoes are the origional and best, but pricey, loake make nice ones, jones's bootmaker also look cool, all are exceptionally well made.

Charles Thywitt do classic feet, clarks are best value tho.

For the purist go churches made to measure

I saw Tom Waits sporting a pair of really really really scruffy boots- lace ups- in black that looked vicious. Same kind of Indy boot vibe. I have no idea what they were. I've also seen Mark Lanegan wear the same, or similar, boot. So it's a real rock 'n roll thing, I guess. I know that's vague, but if any group of people might have a hunch, this would be the place.

for those who are into frye harness boots. i had a pair before but they were unfortunately stolen. i didn't want to cough up the money for another pair so i thought i would try the ones at "leather up" and when i got them i swear they are the identical boots with different branding on them--esp. since the frye harness boots aren't made in the usa anymore. the leather is the same oily supple handed one, they smell the same, and they have the same welt and sole. give them a try. and no, i don't work for them.

www.leatherup.com

Space (the Prada-owned outlet store) in Hong Kong had a bunch of different Church's desert boots and some other Wellie-looking boots, as well as the whole regular line of Church's oxfords and brogues all for $1500HKD (about $180US). There are several Space stores around the world so if there was one nearby I'd jump on that deal.

indyboots.jpg

18A_0049.jpg

Mizanation I would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Alden Indy Boots....Mine are 6 years old and look better now than when new..

Wow - those really look great. I noticed on alden's site though, halfway down this page http://www.indygear.com/gear/boots.shtml its mentioned that about 5 years ago they switched to a lighter color leather. I really like the shade on yours. Anyone with the more recent model care to comment on how they age? Maybe with the right polish they could look like the older ones. Or maybe those are the "newer" model?