Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Another new White's sample!

These are the 6" Northwest model, shown in Dress Black with a Natural half-double midsole and the cream crepe sole. The Northwest also has the rolled edge at the collar. The crepe sole is also avail. in black....

photo-46.jpg

photo-47.jpg

photo-48.jpg

photo-49.jpg

I thought I was the only one that had problems like this with the indy boot.

I've been afraid that they were going to do that every day for the past 4 years I've owned them. It's very close to it. In my case its caused by my feet being to wide for the shoe....I wear E but diden't realize till I wore these for a year...:( And just so I don't destroy them anytime soon, im going to rotate them out of rotation every few weeks with some new boondokers when i get the cash together....people say they are built strong, but they really feel flimsey to me. I wasen't concious of this the first few years I owned them and treated them like crap, so i guess they are tough, but now that I am concious of it, they feel like they are made of paper mache, dono how to describe it, just feels like that part of the stitching it going to come undone.

While we are talking about weak aldens, check this out...

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=33804

I Had cats paw heels put on my indies because you guys are so fanatical about them to see how they were. They are a lot more comfortable than alden heels, but this means the rubber is softer...and as such....they wear like soap. I'm really surprised how fast they've worn down. The alden heels lasted something like....a year and a half but they were really hard and uncomfortable.

About mid soles. Are they replaceable? I've probably asked this before, just forgot, as I'm almost walking on the mid sole on the toe section, but the sole itself has about 2 months left. Whats the best mid sole material?

I'm actually thinking about having my aldens converted to vibram, just because its more comfortable. Can anyone recommend anywhere on the northeast to have this done? I don't trust my cobbler enough to have him redo the sole like that, even though hes always done my reheels. (nyc would be fine too.) Chicken, are the vibram more comfortable? It personally just seems more practical for me, thats why I'm considering it. (I live in a small country town not the city, and theres mud every where in the winter)

Thoughts?

Another new White's sample!

These are the 6" Northwest model, shown in Dress Black with a Natural half-double midsole and the cream crepe sole. The Northwest also has the rolled edge at the collar. The crepe sole is also avail. in black....

photo-46.jpg

photo-47.jpg

photo-48.jpg

photo-49.jpg

New page.

Always cool to see more custom White's.

^^^ these look great, but is it just me that has a big problem with crepe soles? I've had them on Clarks desert boots, and on some really nice comme des garçons suede brogues, but i find it gets incredibly sticky after a few wears and ends up covered in crap and looking disgusting in no time.

it's a real pity as they can be so comfortable and i love the look (clean). It got so bad that i ended up resoling the commes with leather.

To be honest, I think those pictures just cement in my head my dislike of those soles in general. beautiful boots, not the soles I would have chosen

true have to agree soles are fo pussies

i have those exact same sole on my redwing. To me, i can accept that because my shoe worth only $99, but for white's price. I would prefer something much better. It is super slippery when it wear down too.

Is there any reason why are there 2 speed hook and on the top one is just regular eyelet. Doesnt that contradict the speed hook suppose to tie the shoe faster? But with the regular eyelet on top, doesnt it make it troubler unless people doesnt tie the top one.

Is there any reason why are there 2 speed hook and on the top one is just regular eyelet. Doesnt that contradict the speed hook suppose to tie the shoe faster?

I've always wondered about this too -- I've seen it on lots of boots. I agree that it doesn't seem to make sense (to me). If anyone knows the answer, I'd be glad to hear it.

why chose the crepe sole on these? If is much cheaper, ok, but otherwise..why?

Also, have you ever polish it?

I didn't choose the sole, i bought them off Retricker on ebay.

Polished it once.

I didn't choose the sole, i bought them off Retricker on ebay.

Polished it once.

ok i see, but i believe that it would be better if you change it to a leather or commando sole. I just dont think the crepe matches the shoe. Just my opinion. That is the c shade with 7 eyelets so they are 6 inches boot right?

About mid soles. Are they replaceable? I've probably asked this before, just forgot, as I'm almost walking on the mid sole on the toe section, but the sole itself has about 2 months left. Whats the best mid sole material?

Get 'em in leather. Like this.

indysole.jpg

indyside.jpg

I agree about the cat paws. The heel definitely needs to be replaced like twice a year. Just stock up on them. Recommend Vibram 705's and 700 heel: they'll last 2 years.

just my two cents: I've never understood the physical similarity that supposedly exists between Vibrams like those on the White's above and the crepe soles that come on a pair of Clarks or those Trickers that Skeese posted. I always thought that "crepe" was a very specific delineation, a certain type of very gummy, natural rubber, like the type Clarks are known for. Perhaps it's simply that I grew up helping my dad polish his wallabees for work, but I have always thought of that very knobby-turning-polished type of rubber as the definition of "crepe". I could probably just Google some definitions of "crepe" and find out more than I ever cared to know, but I'd rather hear what you guys think, as the process of deciding that something so different as the Vibrams on those White's qualify as even similar to the soles on a pair of Wallabees will necessarily be a normative one.

I'm liking the RW 1911s. I like their look better than Whites, and a bit better than Indies too because of the Indies' moc toe. They're not the most comfortable boots in the world, but I'm gonna work with them because I like the vintage look so much. The waxed cotton laces are about the best ones I've ever seen. Here are lots of pics. The ones with LVC 55's were taken in the mirror:

1911.jeans2.gif

1911.jeans1.gif

1911.front.gif

1911.side.gif

1911.sole.gif

1911.sole.close2.gif

1911.heel.close.gif

1911.sole.close.gif

1911.lace.gif

Excuse a newbie for asking...

I've read just about every thread about RW's and sizewise the recommendations seem to be "size down", but have not seen any actual measurements posted.

Would be interested to turn things around a bit: Anyone wearing a Red Wing 1911 in size 8.5(D or E)? How long/broad are your feet?

Being a size 42EU (26,5cm's long feet) I wouldn't want to go around with my toes curled up just because I decided to size down too much, nor the other way around...

If I've missed this posted somewhere else, feel free to hunt me down...

Welcome to what I would argue is the friendliest thread in Supertalk. I don't own a pair of Red Wings, but have tried them on, and I would say to go with the same size, or half a size down from what you wear in converse all stars. Full size down from most normal dress shoes that aren't super snugs (or aren't Aldens). I wear a 6.5D or 7C in Aldens depending on the last , 7E 7.5D in Allen Edmonds, and a 6.5C in Whites. I tried on a 6.5 D in Red Wings, and it was too big for me. Sorry for a long convoluted answer that probably doesn't help you much if you don't own any of the above mentioned shoes...someone will come along with better answers.

Get 'em in leather. Like this.

indysole.jpg

indyside.jpg

I agree about the cat paws. The heel definitely needs to be replaced like twice a year. Just stock up on them. Recommend Vibram 705's and 700 heel: they'll last 2 years.

Are those yours? They look like an indy boot if White's started making them! Is that boot Nirvana? Although I'm not sure I like that as much as the stock Alden shape, I would definitely agree that leather midsoles look good. Mine are going to need some work soon enough too.

Welcome to what I would argue is the friendliest thread in Supertalk..

agree..

well here is the size comparison

i wear

8D Redwing boot

8C Redwing shoe

8 in vans slip on

9 in nike

9 in new balance

hope this help, by the way, where are you? Not a redwing store around you can try on? I think my brother wear 42 and he wears size 9...not sure tho..

agree..

well here is the size comparison

i wear

8D Redwing boot

8C Redwing shoe

8 in vans slip on

9 in nike

9 in new balance

hope this help, by the way, where are you? Not a redwing store around you can try on? I think my brother wear 42 and he wears size 9...not sure tho..

Friendly indeed!

Situated in the south of Sweden and I still havn't been able to find a store here (Malmoe / Copenhagen) that sells them...

I figured that since everyone are at most a bodylength from their own feet (hopefully), it would be easier finding a person wearing size 8.5 and ask that person his or hers measurements, than scouting down a store with the shoes in stock.

A clerk told me a general rule in sizing one's shoes, that is, make sure there's 1cm of air lengthwise, allowing your feet to expand enough when walking on a hot day etc. I noticed that the Japanese RW site has a size chart and according to that, I would be a 9½ (allowing for " friendly toe airspace") which seems a bit odd?

My Converse are indeed EU42 but US8.5....

Congratulations moykky, you are now officially in / one step from getting out of SuperHell?

Is there any reason why are there 2 speed hook and on the top one is just regular eyelet. Doesnt that contradict the speed hook suppose to tie the shoe faster? But with the regular eyelet on top, doesnt it make it troubler unless people doesnt tie the top one.

I wear boots to work, the speed hooks help you tie faster, but sometimes, if you only use the speed hooks, the laces can become loose and/or slip, and putting them through the eyelets at the top prevents that.

Are those yours? They look like an indy boot if White's started making them! Is that boot Nirvana? Although I'm not sure I like that as much as the stock Alden shape, I would definitely agree that leather midsoles look good. Mine are going to need some work soon enough too.

Yes they are indeed Alden's. I just changed up the midsole, because the original neoprene sole was pretty much dead after 2 years.

BTW, I'm a true 8.5 so for my RW 9014's I wear a 8.5. Fits good.