Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

err bill you might want to post the leather color style option here and what we can use or not on a custom pair of smoke j's or semi dress.. thanks buddy!

V Cleat Heel Help...

So I picked up a great pair of vintage Florsheims with the V-Cleat Heel but they're like walking on ice...

Is there anything one can do to make it easier to walk WITHOUT ruining the V Cleat look?

V Cleat Heel Help...

Is there anything one can do to make it easier to walk WITHOUT ruining the V Cleat look?

Gotta learn to slide :D

If you want to still be able to see the cleat, there isn't really much you can do. Maybe you can look for a "clear" topy but I have never heard of that, and it sounds extremely lame to go to such lengths. If you like the cleat, just keep it raw, if you are afraid of injuring yourself, get a topy.

While I have never had a shoe with a v-cleat on it, I imagine that learning to walk with one of those is akin to learning to walk with leather soled shoes for the first time. When I first started wearing leather soled shoes, I slid around a lot and wondered how people managed to not slip and break tail bones. Now, I'm so used to it that it doesn't matter if it's pure ice out...

What do you guys think of this pair of Chippewa Engineer boots? I can't really tell what the leather is like in the picture and i'm really digging the contrast sole. For $179 it really isn't a bad price.

justi124332_51967_jb.jpg

Yessir, that why I got a pair of Chippewas. Price is great. I believe you can find those for even cheaper, for like $149 or something. Just make sure to put thick insoles in them. They hurt like hell if you don't. Still made in the USA.

What do you guys think of this pair of Chippewa Engineer boots? I can't really tell what the leather is like in the picture and i'm really digging the contrast sole. For $179 it really isn't a bad price.

justi124332_51967_jb.jpg

I actually tried these on a few weeks back. They seem pretty nice for the money. The leather is pretty matte finish, but substantial feeling, not plasticky. I'd imagine they'd break in nicely and look pretty good. Only reason I didn't get them was that they didn't have the right size for me...only the similair boot from chippewa that uses an all black midsole I didn't like nearly as much....

How much Bill? That is pretty spot on for what I had in mind for my next semi-dress purchase. Are they a customers boots or one you had made for yourself?

The Burgundy are an instore sample. A boot like this, in water buffalo w/leather lining, would be $470. And yeah, they are tasty.... They are up there with the gray french calf for most handsome semi-dress to date.... Pics of those coming soon

Amlai: Got 'em today! Thanks again! Plaza feeling good so far....

photo-11.jpg

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Brown_High_Boot_213.htm

Anyone has experience with these Alden's? I want to know how slim they are in Real Life.

I've tried on the black version on the same last and they're a bit sleeker in the toe area than the Barrie last. I wouldn't call them slim though, in comparison to something like a pair of Paul Smith Sundance boots.

08-09-08.jpg

my redwings. 1 year, 5 days a week wear. Just had them resoled and new stacked heels added.

colors are a little off because of the lamp. I tried to adjust them some but whatever.

edit: and bong

those are looking sweet and well loved. would rep if I wasn't on iphone.

those are looking sweet and well loved. would rep if I wasn't on iphone.

I think i've repped from mine before.

^ very nice two tone, but i always wonder is it necessary to have two leather sole before that thick rubber sole?

I think it's the new midget lift ala Seinfeld.

edit: and bong

They do look nice. What kind of jeans are you wearing? I also think it's very appropriate for a bong to be on page 420, call me teenager.

Is it possible to get any kind of evolution of the black shell cordovan of Alden? I really like the looks of it but I don't want to buy boots in a 'dead' material.

Sure, the leather will crease and form around your foot but it wont change colour.

I repped him for you chicken.

Yes those redwings look great. What model are they? resoled 875s?

I'd guess they're RW Beckman moc-toes (e.g. 9010) based on the fact that it isn't a 360 degree welt? Maybe I'm wrong; if I'm right, the original laces have been switched out. Whatever -- they look awesome!

Is it possible to get any kind of evolution of the black shell cordovan of Alden? I really like the looks of it but I don't want to buy boots in a 'dead' material.

Here are some shots of a pair of black shell boots that I recently sold. They probably only had a few months worth of wear in total.

blackboots_1.jpg

blackboots_2.jpg

blackboots_4.jpg

Black shell only gets more wavy in the wrinkled areas with more wear. Other colors, like #8 or cigar will also take on unique shades and patterns the more they're exposed to light.