Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i have a q. greg... how o you keep your shoes? do you keep em in the box ? or just lay around the house in a shoe rack .. which would be better for them? thanks cause after i use my boots/shoes i clean them up and put them up in the box with some silica gel

I only keep the shoe box till I'm sure they fit and I like them. (If not I use the box to help sell them...) For storing the shoes, I put trees in them and then keep them in something like this with shelves inside. They get some air but no dust...

RCV01AC.jpg

ok i gotcha you sure i doesnt have to be cabinet like that ( chinese style) caus ei think you know im chinese right? haha!

Actually, my whole house is decorated Chinese-style, has been for years!

To Indigo - That PU used by Blundstone for their sole has to be the most durable sole I've ever come across. I had a pair I used for like 5 years every day, for work or hanging out. Lots of NYC walking on asphalt and concrete - and hardly any wear showing on the back of the heel. I gave the shoes away way before they ever wore down. Amazing!

sorry for privacy i aint doing it.. anyways my term of "hot" may not be good enough for your " hot"

hmm.. i just did the top coat on my indies on the threads on the toebox like what greg said..i use melatonian neutral.. ill polish them in a couple of days what color would you suggest greg? i assume id use maltonian.. and in kiwi?

so its been i forget how long, and my Ultimate Indies have had more than a few wears, and they are still some of the most comfortable footwear I have. I'm just a little surprised at how fast the sole wears down...maybe I should watch my steps a little better.

i've got a few scuffs here and there, but hopefully it leads to the Indy look. I don't think i'm gonna polish them, maybe just a cleaning after every wear and some oil/pecards every once in a while. maybe if the scuffs get too bad i'll use some light brown to fill it in.

pics pls flexor.. i dont wear them indies too much they look too dressy for my line of work.. anyways.. ill keep that in mina ill watch how i walk in these and yes have to agree they are very comfy compared to my other boots

i just did the top coat on my indies on the threads on the toebox like what greg said..i use melatonian neutral.. ill polish them in a couple of days what color would you suggest greg? i assume id use maltonian.. and in kiwi?

Use a coat of Kiwi neutral too. It has more wax than Meltonian, which will coat the stitching more effectively. And then you can polish the color you want! What color! Well, what color do you want them to be?

maybe just neutral all the way but i dont want the "polishes creases" on them so i want to retain the color but with the crease problem

^I've found that any polish will darken the Indies a bit past that stock #405 color of brick red. My own compromise has been to use Kiwi tan, which is the lightest polish I could easily find that doesn't (i) have the creasing problem, and (ii) doesn't dry out the leather too much. I'm sure there are lighter alternatives somewhere. The welts and midsole and stitching are all fine, not darkened too much. But the color has gone from the brick-red towards reddish brown. Most people like that, actually. I get a super-duper polish twice a week, and buff them with the nylon every day I wear them.

One of these days I think I'll have them stripped just as an experiement, and start all over. Wonder what the new color is under all the polish now?

^The creasing problem - was told to me by C&J staff, and then I tried it to see what would happen, and noticed it myself on my Cliffords of all things! Not a big deal and it is reversible to some extent:

The creasing is from wax-based polish of neutral tone. I haven't looked very closely to see what is going on, but I've noticed that in the bends of the shoe, the polish will form little creases. They look like tiny striations in the same direction as the grain of the leather, alternating light and dark. When you look at the shoes from eye level, it looks like the leather's creases and concavities are lighter than the surrounding color.

Polish with color doesn't do this. I suspect that it's because it has dye, which fills in the little striations in the leather better than wax, which is about all you have with neutral polish.

As soon as you apply even tan polish, the creasing problem goes away...

I thought with the PU sole that Blundstones use, they weren't resoleable. Not that it matters. I usually buy a new pair of blunnies every two years and chuck out the old pair. I get the cheaper work pairs, round $80 a pair. I use them primarily as a riding boot. I have two pairs of RMW for formal occasions and for going out. Blunnies for every day use. My RMWs are 5 years old now, and still look near new. Probably get them resoled in about 5 years time.

Yes, sorry Blundstone's are not resoleable. But they still, however, last a long time.

^The creasing problem - was told to me by C&J staff, and then I tried it to see what would happen, and noticed it myself on my Cliffords of all things! Not a big deal and it is reversible to some extent:

The creasing is from wax-based polish of neutral tone. I haven't looked very closely to see what is going on, but I've noticed that in the bends of the shoe, the polish will form little creases. They look like tiny striations in the same direction as the grain of the leather, alternating light and dark. When you look at the shoes from eye level, it looks like the leather's creases and concavities are lighter than the surrounding color.

Polish with color doesn't do this. I suspect that it's because it has dye, which fills in the little striations in the leather better than wax, which is about all you have with neutral polish.

As soon as you apply even tan polish, the creasing problem goes away...

To me that actually happens when i use any colour that is significant lighter than the leather. I use Saphir vax or creams and when i used their light tan on the indies the creasings got lighter, same as with using a neutral wax. Maybe it is different with Kiwi, i am however not so keen on using Kiwi since they use alcohol and preservatives

in their waxes.

I might try a Saphir for the shades of brown. But I've been sticking with Kiwi for many years, no prob with dryness. It's a kind of nostalgic thing with me, related to about a decade in the military. I actually like Kiwi's harsh and synthetic odor. It reminds of me of the smells I associate fondly with the military, freshly cut grass on drill fields, diesel exhaust fumes, Zippo lighter fluid, howitzer gunpowder, Brasso, and floor wax. Kiwi goes right along with these!

kiwi-life-06-16-1952-100.jpg

I'm new to polishing my own leather boots, and have really appreciated this thread to get me on the right track. I found this how-to video, and thought I might share:

I'm obviously not an expert, but I found it quite helpful, and hope others will, too.

^ why does this video feel like a mockery of some sort?

at any rate, the rubber cement sounds to me like a really bad idea if you want to your shoes to last a long time. i believe a rubber cement will actually eat away at the leather as well as the finish.