Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I have both the Indies and the White's SD is size 10.5 D and the fit is great on both of them. The Indies might be a tad longer but for me the difference in fit isn't noticable. Just out of curiousity, how do the Red Wing GTs fit compared to the Indies and SDs?

I have both the Indies and the White's SD is size 10.5 D and the fit is great on both of them. The Indies might be a tad longer but for me the difference in fit isn't noticable. Just out of curiousity, how do the Red Wing GTs fit compared to the Indies and SDs?

I have the gt's in 10,5d but i find them very narrow but they are about the same length as the indies and slightly fuller except for the width.

George Military Boot. Was to be worn with mess uniform.

georgeboothero300cr6.th.jpg

I'm projecting some wear on these and I'm liking what I'm thinking. So, any love?

I like those a lot. Remind of the maker again. I've looked at them online somewhere before but can't recall. Do you have some better pictures too?

If I remember correctly C&J used to make the cavalry boots for the British Military and these are almost identical in design to some old ones I have seen. I didn't buy them at the time for some stupid reason.

Chicken, I found those on the Shipton & Heneage webpage while looking for chukka boots. I wouldn't mind seeing another angle or two, but that is the only pic they have. They could be made by Alfred Sargent, but I don't know. They are boss, that is for sure.

I don't want to go way off topic here but does anyone have any word on the line of button down oxford shirts made by Turnbull & Asser for Jean Shop?

Fre$co- Well, not Alfred Sargent. I went to Pediwear and searched a bit. Sanders Shoes has a few styles identified as "George", though none with the military designation. But the overall styling is plainly similar (they show one in patent leather, which I'd never wear, not doing many red carpet affairs lately, but if I did...). On the S&H USA webpage is where you'll fine them listed as a military boot.

S&H probably use Sargent or another mid-tier British shoe factory for their wares. I would say that it is very likely that those are corrected grain (if not patent leather), which would mean there is a very good chance that with time you may have the finish crack and flake off. High shine dress uniform boots are meant for parade wear/formal function mostly, if I am not mistaken, so the shine would be the primary concern not durability.

chipp3.jpg

Good news! After several conversations with Nick at B. Nelson, they can do this job. They do have a McKay machine for the loop stitch, and would do the loop the same way as the article depicted earlier - through the half-sole. Plus, he said they would do a neater and more craftsmanlike job of the loop stitching - check out the un-evenness at the waist.

The only thing Nick said was to make sure that the rubber half-sole you request is available in the U.S. The one in the photo is not....

So, thanks to Coleslaw for posting this - I might send my non-SuperLeather Indies there for this job....

Good news! After several conversations with Nick at B. Nelson, they can do this job. They do have a McKay machine for the loop stitch, and would do the loop the same way as the article depicted earlier - through the half-sole. Plus, he said they would do a neater and more craftsmanlike job of the loop stitching - check out the un-evenness at the waist.

The only thing Nick said was to make sure that the rubber half-sole you request is available in the U.S. The one in the photo is not....

So, thanks to Coleslaw for posting this - I might send my non-SuperLeather Indies there for this job....

Of course, Greg, you do realise that we will want, nay expect, photographic evidence of the changes :D

Chicken - Quote? I sort of asked him, but he said it depends on whether you want a new welt, or will keep the existing, and whether you'll need a new leather mid-sole, or supplying your own Vibram or what. Why not call them at (800) 750-7669. Nick knows he might be hearing from Superfuture folks.

Ska and Coleslaw - I'm not sure when I'll be putting a pair of shoes in for re-soling. But when I do, photos will result!

^ yeah, i think i'll call him up soon. greg, one thing i think to keep in mind (which you probably already know, but just in case) is that the indys' welts are pretty narrow and sometimes they won't be able to use their machines to sew through them.

maybe this is nothing new to some of the posters here, but it's so friggin cool to me.

shoes with goodyear welt

chukka boots with norwegian welt (chainstitched)

from this site

his collections are huge too, including sick vintage levi's.

Some great pics there Chicken, thanks.

P.s. in case someone here has not heard of it,. that Vass book, "Handmade shoes for men" (iirc), has some great photographs and details on the various processes (as well as being quite the Vass showcase, heh).

aybe this is nothing new to some of the posters here, but it's so friggin cool to me.

shoes with goodyear welt

chukka boots with norwegian welt (chainstitched)

from this site

his collections are huge too, including sick vintage levi's.

And some sick Navy jackets too. I like that guy already - he's like a grown-up kid, collects lots of different stuff, and does a gret job with it!

^ yeah, i think i'll call him up soon. greg, one thing i think to keep in mind (which you probably already know, but just in case) is that the indys' welts are pretty narrow and sometimes they won't be able to use their machines to sew through them.

Yeah, I was very careful about the welts, it's definitely something to watch out for. When B. Nelson did my Superleather Indies, I asked for a new welt, natural colored. To me, the natural welt and mid-sole are one of the focal points on the Indy boot. I was pleased with the result. Maybe what you're referring to is how close the stitching is to the very edge, as you can see better in the second photo....

super.splay.gif

super.profile2.gif

yes, i think we're talking about the same thing. i'm guessing you needed a new welt for those because they couldn't just unstitch the threads and resew the old welt with machines -- there's simply not enough space for the machine to maneuver.

and i'm guessing your welt and the leather soles were wider when they stitched them, but b. nelson must have trimmed them off around the edges to get to the width you currently have. (it's great to see those indys again, btw. they're so beautiful.)

more details please!

do the uppers feel any thicker because of leather lining instead of canvas?

are those still crushed papers i see on the middle heel layers?

are there any photos of the bottom and inside of the boots?

If the Ultimate Indies were available in EEE, I'd certainly order a pair!

I'm sure I'll be placing a re-order real quick. I'd be more than happy to order you a EEE Greg.

more details please!

do the uppers feel any thicker because of leather lining instead of canvas?

are those still crushed papers i see on the middle heel layers?

are there any photos of the bottom and inside of the boots?

Yes, they feel thicker. Not only because of the leather linings, but because the outer leather is also thicker.

Crushed paper? These are full leather soles with commando outer soles. Made to Alden New England specifications, not Foot Balance like the 405. I'll try to take some inside pics tomorrow.

Yes, they feel thicker. Not only because of the leather linings, but because the outer leather is also thicker.

Crushed paper? These are full leather soles with commando outer soles. Made to Alden New England specifications, not Foot Balance like the 405. I'll try to take some inside pics tomorrow.

great, great and great. it all sounds great to me, tom.

looking forward for more. :cool:

I'm sure I'll be placing a re-order real quick. I'd be more than happy to order you a EEE Greg.

looking forward to the black indy's... i've always wanted black indy's (the cordo ones were a bit too pricey), and was just thinking about slapping on commando soles to my brown ones... now i can have both in one shoe!