Levi's Vintage Clothing

21 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

funny, i got a similar pair from an eBay purchase today, same production run. i can tell that these now run true to size, as most recent rigid LVC jeans do.

this is the 1st pair in years. i had worn several pairs over the years and can confirm that the kaihara denim achieved one the best fading results.

btw. my rolling stones avatar shows joe dallsendro wearing original 505s  ;) 

enjoy your new pair.

this is my first Levis since 1990. I had my first pair in 84 orange tab and my friend told me they were not the real deal and my mom got me red tab ones BUT i dont think they were 501 or maybe they were BUT the buttons were cooper colour and my next pair in 85 were silvery colour buttons (501s) and they were huge and in the shop they told me to wash them machine wash 8 times in a row before putting them on. Never thought of fades or aything like that. I remember bleaching them until complete white. Lots of weird white bleaching spots was the cool thing in dublin in mid 80s. Lots of punks doing it. Sticked to 501s until I stopped wearing them as EVERYONE was wearing levis. I used to get rid of the leather patch and red tab to make them look cooler and then no jeans anymore until I discovered EVISU in london in 99 maybe. Goldie the drum n bass DJ musician was wearing the new levis raw with the back bucket and then the engineered came out. 

anyway, wearing this ones for 2 days now brings me back so many memories. They fit better than my momos. The back fits so much better than japanese brands (the ones i know) and thanks for telling us theyr the sticky fingers ones wow I always wondered what jeans those were but never did any reasearch. 

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus

Forgive me if this is wrong place for this but I decided to sell my Golden Handshake 1915 501XX jeans. 34W32L. Worn once, washed once, and stored in a closet since then. I normally wouldn’t post sales into threads, but LVC tends to get buried with a bunch of used mainline Levi’s on eBay and Grailed. These are an excellent pair of jeans that deserve to be worn, and I just haven’t been the one to wear them. 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:42 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

funny, i got a similar pair from an eBay purchase today, same production run. i can tell that these now run true to size, as most recent rigid LVC jeans do.

this is the 1st pair in years. i had worn several pairs over the years and can confirm that the kaihara denim achieved one the best fading results.

btw. my rolling stones avatar shows joe dallesandro wearing original 505s  ;) 

enjoy your new pair.

Given the pic was taken before April 1971, I would think it more likely that Joe was wearing 501ZXXs or 502XXs rather than 505s. Certainly it was these which were sold in England at that time. They were mainly sold shrink to fit whereas the 505s were pre-shrunk. To me at the time the numbers were an immemerable jumble of numerals Zs and Xs so the jeans being sold in England were probably 501ZXXs, (which Joe's jeans look like) all with Scovill or Talon zippers. I never saw button flies being sold in the shops in England.

However it sounds if you may have more definitive info in which case are you able to share it?

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic stuff crownzip. For some reason there’s nothing more satisfying to me than a pair of really faded loose jeans. They just look great. 

The Levi’s button codes question comes up every so often and I found this page which may be useful for folk to reference. I’ll cautiously make a disclaimer that the info contained herein may be a crock of... and I’ve done nothing whatsoever to validate it :D

https://www.stcyrvintage.co.uk/2020/10/01/vintage-levis-button-numbers/

4 minutes ago, unders said:

Fantastic stuff crownzip. For some reason there’s nothing more satisfying to me than a pair of really faded loose jeans. They just look great. 

The Levi’s button codes question comes up every so often and I found this page which may be useful for folk to reference. I’ll cautiously make a disclaimer that the info contained herein may be a crock of... and I’ve done nothing whatsoever to validate it :D

https://www.stcyrvintage.co.uk/2020/10/01/vintage-levis-button-numbers/

Your right there mate , looser jeans really take on nice wear patterns instead of the really horizontal lap creasing that tight jeans do 

I'm asking because I saw a webshop selling both the 1954 cone fabric and the new 1954 japanese fabric (V2), both rigids, and the cone one is specified "shrink to fit" in the description, while the V2 isn't.

Weird.

I’d get the Cone ones if there’s an option. If not, I’m sure that if you read back over the last 10-20 pages of this thread, there have been comments that there is less shrinkage in the v2 compared to Cone, particularly in the waist. Perhaps Bartles can share his experience in this regard?

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’d get the Cone ones if there’s an option. If not, I’m sure that if you read back over the last 10-20 pages of this thread, there have been comments that there is less shrinkage in the v2 compared to Cone, particularly in the waist. Perhaps Bartles can share his experience in this regard?

Agreeing: if a choice, get the cone...

my experience is not based on the shrink of two of the exact same models but across a range different denims...

[in the frenzy of cone-bagging got all the pre-40s models and the '76... had been studiously avoiding '47 and '55 for years and these were the ones that were selling out anyway... so with v2 stuff is around, decided, why not, try the '55 in this new version... ...]

so

(as don't have a cone '55 to compare) can only conjecture... but with one hot soak and a spin the tagged 32 inch length (which measured more around 31) is now more around 29... the tagged 36 waist shrank down some but with pulling when wet / wearing is now around 37/38 inches... [not near the pair or a tape measure to give concrete answer tho.]

this is pretty comparable to how my last run cone '37s have behaved...

10 hours ago, DavidThoreau said:

I'm asking because I saw a webshop selling both the 1954 cone fabric and the new 1954 japanese fabric (V2), both rigids, and the cone one is specified "shrink to fit" in the description, while the V2 isn't.

Weird.

Which webshop was this? 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, Denimstoyevsky said:

Which webshop was this? 

Thanks for the clarification guys. 

From what I remember it was on 2 websites : Royalcheese (french webshop) and Cultizm. 

Sadly the cone mills version are now sold out on both websites.

2 days ago, RoyalCheese had something like 29 and 30 waist size, and Cultizm had 31 waist size (those probably sold out yesterday as Cultizm offers a 20% discount for Halloween since yesterday).

SecondSunrise is still offering both version though

28 and 29 size still available in Made in USA Cone Mills version:

https://secondsunrise.se/collections/levis-vintage-clothing/products/copy-of-lvc-1954-501xx-jeans-rigid

While plenty of sizes are available in the new V2 version (made in Bulgaria):

https://secondsunrise.se/collections/levis-vintage-clothing/products/lvc-1954-501xx-jeans-rigid

6 minutes ago, DavidThoreau said:

as Cultizm offers a 20% discount for Halloween since yesterday

Thanks for posting that! I was waiting for that discount but somehow Cultizm doesn't notify their German customers when those codes are valid. Only several days later and sometimes with even less % off...

46 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Thanks for posting that! I was waiting for that discount but somehow Cultizm doesn't notify their German customers when those codes are valid. Only several days later and sometimes with even less % off...

You're welcome. 

Funnily I never even bought anything on Cultizm lol. I just subscribed to their newsletter. 

adcc951357242645.jpg 9c2d5a1357242657.jpg 5ac5a61357242675.jpg 72bfdc1357242697.jpg 65001d1357242708.jpg 

just got this 1950s Space Shirt, its made of very light material, and quite loose like a Hawaiian shirt. Then I noticed the tag was missing a letter. The seller was from portugal, where these are made. 
if its a fake, the quality is second to none and I am keeping it.