Levi's Vintage Clothing

Has any kind of market developed around the remaining US made Cone denim LVC? I'm not one for buying for the sake of reselling, but I have a BNWT 1966 pair as well as a 1915 Golden Handshake 501 that was only washed and worn once. I'm 50/50 on reselling the '66 pair because I'm not 100% certain they will fit well enough to un-deadstock them. 

Did Levi's make all the 1971's with a 32" leg? The pair above and the pair illustrated on the Levi's website are both 32 length which would make them a pass for the majority of peeps who would want to wear them.

I had a pair of 36*34 in cart for the 1971 Golden Ticket but decided against buying. So there's 34in length jeans being produced. The US and EU websites differ in stocked length for the 1966 Harajuku release. US seems to stock the longer lengths but I don't remember seeing 36in length ones for both releases.

2 hours ago, TerryElessar said:

I had a pair of 36*34 in cart for the 1971 Golden Ticket but decided against buying. So there's 34in length jeans being produced. The US and EU websites differ in stocked length for the 1966 Harajuku release. US seems to stock the longer lengths but I don't remember seeing 36in length ones for both releases.

I think L34 is usually the longest leg available in Japan.

Heyo! I have a pair of unworn Cone LVC 55, Size W30/L34. Maybe kind of looking to trade up a size or two... hopefully another Cone LVC pair, but I'm open to others. 

Everyone thinks they’re too valuable to wear as they believe they can resell them for at least 10x retail price. The limited edition left hand twill pairs befell a similar fate. Who is prepared to pay that much simply because they’re ‘limited edition’?!

It’s bloody ridiculous. Everything that’s created is limited. Nobody’s making infinite of anything, not even paper clips!

It’s a great way of firing up demand and some brands have made a business model out of it (thinking Supreme). And for the customer it’s all for either clout chasing or smugness - neither of which are admirable traits. There will be a few that are LVC collectors or really want a 71 repro, and that’s respectable.

Rant over. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Now if people really want limited edition they should buy my circa ‘94 BNWT pre-lawsuit Go West jeans. Possibly the only raw pair in that size in existence. I’ll entertain any offers north of £10k :laugh2:

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Everyone thinks they’re too valuable to wear as they believe they can resell them for at least 10x retail price. The limited edition left hand twill pairs befell a similar fate. Who is prepared to pay that much simply because they’re ‘limited edition’?!

Damit Friedman, I'm going to start wearing mine :D - you do know they're a pain in the **** to button-up unless you're left-handed?

7 hours ago, Broark said:

It's all about marketing and creating hype. LVC is no worse than the sneaker brands creating hype.

The more cynical might say that they made too many L32 1976s,  got muddled up with the tabs and had to think of a way of getting rid of them. I think the tabs on my S1 2006 Taylor Togs pairs above were a mistake. They were on the shelf in American Classics and I bought 2 pairs of each tab all at the same time.  They are well put together and the seams are tightly sewn with lots of wrinkling. I have worn a pair with a little e tab into the ground.

IMG_20200604_2250236.jpg

^ I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here - are you implying that the 1971s are the same as the 1976s but with a different tab and labelled differently? I think the 1971s are supposed to be a slimmer cut.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

21 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

^ I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here - are you implying that the 1971s are the same as the 1976s but with a different tab and labelled differently? I think the 1971s are supposed to be a slimmer cut.

As I have neither cut in LVC I can't say. Funnily enough, a pair which I had from 1971 were more generously cut than a pair from 1969.

Edited by Dry
Typo

Gave my three-pleat a hand wash last week as the weather was sunny.

It's been interesting wearing this alongside, for instance, the TCB 20s - although they're 40 years apart in Levi's terms the fabric isn't that different. I love the shading on the TCB, as in the range of colours. I've also been wearing some Levi's Lot 1 with Nihon Menpu fabric. I think the Cone 1880s fabric, in terms of texture, is so far ahead it's unreal. Much much more subtle, rather than pronounced bumps and slubs there are myriad small variations in the fabric.

I prefer the dye job on the TCB in terms of looks, as I like high contrast, but I think we'll look back on this era of Cone fabrics as being pretty unique

. It's certainly much better than the Kurabo fabric replicating the same era - I am not sure if the pre-20s fabric for current LVC is from Kaihara, i'd be very interested to see their interpretation of the same fabric.

All these shots are a bit pale, my Fuji X100 doesn't seem to get denim colours right, unlike my wife's sony RX (which I, um, dropped and killed).
DSCF2003.thumb.jpg.d358e00026cb64122b704ede8dcad733.jpgDSCF2009.thumb.jpg.cc152327633045688efc48ad8b943322.jpgDSCF2010.thumb.jpg.6e1b281c7484e0b593b2873bcb22e8e3.jpg

Finally, here's the 1880s natural indigo with a proper camera. Very dense and scrunchy with lots of fluff. They're about a shade darker in real life with more of a red-purple hue.

As you can see, the busted seam is very close to my knee, then swings round to line up with my laces at the bottom. the most leg-twist I've had from a first wash, ever.
DSCF2001.thumb.jpg.5a922fdda0870136f405fe4227da9680.jpg

Cultizm has a Sale on some LVC models, still some Cone left in uneven sizes ;) (at least the german website)
Around 165€ for a pair, mostly small sizes as far as I've seen, though.

Edited by Thanks_M8

^ Jeezus. That is a stunningly low amount of fading for four months of wear. Do you work a desk job, or are they just veeeeeery slow faders?