Jump to content
prince_boys18

Levi's Vintage Clothing

Recommended Posts

Another question, not LVC, but related... are 501 Made in USA Cone Mills White Oak Denim selvedge or non-selvedge? Did Cone Mills make non-selvedge denim at the White Oak mill for Levi's? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

re: '54 501zxx

a slimmish tapered fit I believe comp. to '55?

and yes, thought '76 would be tight fitting, but nicely generous outcome

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpukas said:

I'm suddenly interested in the '54 501zxx... what's the fit and sizing like? Are they considered a slim cut? I have the '76 in 34x34 and they are 1 size too big. The current 501 STF in 33x34 fits perfectly. 

Slim compared to most of the LVC offerings, I'd say the main differences between it and the '47 in terms of fit are a slightly higher rise and a tapered leg, I went true to size but I might not be the best person to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Levis is currently running a 40% off sale on discounted items, excludes most LVC but not the '66! Would buy if they had my size, get it while they're available! Code is HURRY40.

Edited by VivaMarlon
Discount code

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

re: '54 501zxx

a slimmish tapered fit I believe comp. to '55?

The '54 is a narrow tapered leg, but very different form the '55, no? 

https://brooklyndenimco.com/blogs/news/16849173-levis-vintage-collection-501-fit-guide 

Depending on how narrow the leg is, the '54 may or may not work for me. I can't do really slim thighs. The '47 might be the one I'm after. The '76 is damn fine, tho, nearly a perfect cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LVC 1966 sizing question

Looking to replace my LVC 66; which surprisingly turned out to be one of my all time faves.

I got the 36x34 in fall 2011 to account for the general LVC oversizing at the time, and they fit absolutely perfect.  (I’ll post pics in a bit)

Appreciate any insight from anyone with sizing experience on the 66 in last couple years!  

I’m basically a 36W x 34/36L in most recent LVC raw except the 1947, which I got in a 38W...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 54 is a slim tapered leg, where the 47 is a slim straight. I found the 54 had a higher rise and slightly generous waist compared to the 47s.

Co-Sign on all the 76 praise. The denim is really nice and its a great slim fitting jean.

I would love to snag a 33 or 37 in before all the white oak runs out. I find im liking the wider leg models these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cjfergs said:

LVC 1966 sizing question

Looking to replace my LVC 66; which surprisingly turned out to be one of my all time faves.

I got the 36x34 in fall 2011 to account for the general LVC oversizing at the time, and they fit absolutely perfect.  (I’ll post pics in a bit)

Appreciate any insight from anyone with sizing experience on the 66 in last couple years!  

I’m basically a 36W x 34/36L in most recent LVC raw except the 1947, which I got in a 38W...

 

Some pics

46C0DF33-D2BB-4F61-8186-5DF5E5795BF3.jpeg

59B1808E-A7CC-4A9A-893D-43CBE7B66311.jpeg

3B7BDCBD-4920-411E-B0C8-E1918380EE91.jpeg

 

E0106BB9-F3C5-482D-B931-5C0A0F41D69B.jpeg

F56A6F37-DDC3-4140-A2EE-E2C0204AFE87.jpeg

2F3A27AF-D5A9-43AB-9AAE-8E8708109F32.jpeg

52D628AE-5A6B-4EBB-9599-02DC31046CC3.jpeg

EB409E93-F2EF-4BCC-9031-D36659FC8B1A.jpeg

Edited by cjfergs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mpukas said:

The '54 is a narrow tapered leg, but very different form the '55, no? 

10 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

a slimmish tapered fit I believe comp. to '55?

 

indeed: sorry; meant very slim compared to the '55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i forget about the `44 which where my alltime favorite before they where redesigned towards slimmer legs and the ´76 joined the line , but still love the high rise(the highest from all non cinch models). The denim was imo one of the best LVC offered. Here a worn in pair from ebay (it´s the current version):

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mpukas I have the 54s in a 30/34. Let me know if you want me to post measurements. They no longer fit me as it’s been some time since I’ve fitted a 30 waist!

They are slim, but agree with kicks, the rise is higher and seat more forgiving than a 47. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cjfergs said:

Some pics

3B7BDCBD-4920-411E-B0C8-E1918380EE91.jpeg

I have never seen anything like these buttons on the fly being stretched out.

Just how tight do you wear these?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  ;-)

0BD75038-ED81-4C4D-9478-6C4519BF3B10.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These are not LVC but they are selvedge.

I bought them raw several years ago with a paper tag that said 1947.

The dye is crap and has taken forever to release but the one thing I really like about them are the aluminum rivets.

Its the first time I have ever seen these and even though the aluminum has oxidized with age, they “work” with the fade.

Sorry the lighting is horrible.

40D4E9D6-C60E-4FD5-8060-DFFEE5BD7F25.jpeg

59F0A700-F001-4B92-988D-6DC04B85B16F.png

 

Edited by Pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mpukas said:

Another question, not LVC, but related... are 501 Made in USA Cone Mills White Oak Denim selvedge or non-selvedge? Did Cone Mills make non-selvedge denim at the White Oak mill for Levi's? 

Yes, Cone Mills did make non-selvedge denim and I believe most of the last run of them were non-selvedge, here's a pair from ebay...

Levis® Made In The Usa 501

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 501XX4EVER said:

I would love if "they" would reactivate L.V.C. Japan, they really did great work, check out these '44's...

Limited Edition of Levi's Vintage Clothing 1944’s

That looks like a great pair, really well made (in March 2007 according to the inner label) although interestingly, the neat and perfect finish is almost the antithesis to the Conners WW2 interpretations (which I’m sure are more accurate).

I have a pair of natural indigo LVC Japan 503 BSXX from 1991, I’m not sure which model they’re based on as the ‘B’ usually indicates small or children’s sizes and these are a tag 33.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I have never seen anything like these buttons on the fly being stretched out.

Just how tight do you wear these?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  ;-)

0BD75038-ED81-4C4D-9478-6C4519BF3B10.jpeg

When they fit this good, Pedro, people just can’t keep their hands off your fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

Yes, Cone Mills did make non-selvedge denim and I believe most of the last run of them were non-selvedge, here's a pair from ebay...

Levis® Made In The Usa 501

That's specifically what I was wondering about. I missed a pair in my size 33x34 a few weeks ago 'cuz I was sitting on the fence wondering if they were selvedge or not... 

What is the Cone Mills White Oak non-selvedge denim like, compared to selvedge? Is/was it woven on projectile looms? Doesn't matter that much if the denim is selvedge or not, it's just that the Cone selvedge is much nicer than the non-selvedge currently being used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re: the '54 vs '47 - several fellas just said the '54 has a higher rise than the '47, but the BrooklynDenimCo fit guide says the '47 has a front rise of 12 1/4" and the '54 has a front rise of 11 1/2". :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pedro said:

I have never seen anything like these buttons on the fly being stretched out.

Just how tight do you wear these?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  ;-)

 

That's not stretched out. It's typical fly placket fading on button fly jeans.

If you want to see some pix of stretched out fly button holes due to wearing 'em tight, I can provide a few. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 428CJ said:

That's not stretched out. It's typical fly placket fading on button fly jeans.

If you want to see some pix of stretched out fly button holes due to wearing 'em tight, I can provide a few. :D

In fairness to Pedro, I’ve wondered myself why these turned out that way.

I often, but not always, get visible fading from the button just below the waistband, but for whatever reason, all of them on this one faded through.

They’re LVC ‘66 from fall 2011, fit me perfectly after trying them on at a pilgrimage to the SF Levi’s store, and were old school tub soaked to minimize waist shrinkage and wore them hard for a year or so before putting them into the ‘supporting’ rotation, lol.

I talked two friends into a competition actually, one with Levi’s Cone made in Mexico selvedge, and the other with regular Levi’s STF.  We all tub soaked and met up for brunch until they dried -left blue butt marks in the booths, lol.  Theirs have long since been retired -the MiM wore out first, and neither ever looked as good as the LVC.  Then again, I’ve been doing this longer and have a lot more jeans to rotate!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 428CJ said:

That's not stretched out. It's typical fly placket fading on button fly jeans.

I’ll have to take your word for it because I have been wearing button fly 501’s for about 45 years (which is probably close to 100 pairs) and wrung every last bit of life from the denim and not one time have I ever seen that amount of fly placket fading.

Is it more common with dry humping? ;-) Maybe some of my HS jeans looked like this!

Edited by Pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I’ll have to take your word for it because I have been wearing button fly 501’s for about 45 years (which is probably close to 100 pairs) and wrung every last bit of life from the denim and not one time have I ever seen that amount of fly placket fading.

Is it more common with dry humping? ;-) Maybe some of my HS jeans looked like this!

Nothing wrong with a little bump n’ grind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpukas said:

That's specifically what I was wondering about. I missed a pair in my size 33x34 a few weeks ago 'cuz I was sitting on the fence wondering if they were selvedge or not... 

What is the Cone Mills White Oak non-selvedge denim like, compared to selvedge? Is/was it woven on projectile looms? Doesn't matter that much if the denim is selvedge or not, it's just that the Cone selvedge is much nicer than the non-selvedge currently being used. 

that Cone mainstream was usually ring/OE (ring warp/indigo yarn, OE fill yarn) .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cjfergs

SF Store visit 2011.

Was it the same flagship store that is there now? I was disappointed when I made the pilgrimage there in January 2017. Maybe they had just finished a sale but their LVC inventory was almost non-existent.

So then I walked down to the Headquarters where the small museum is located. The cool thing about that was to hang with the “repair shop” seamstress for awhile and see some of her handiwork. She was in her own space to the left as you enter the building.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_4785.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mlwdp said:

IMG_4785.PNG

Those are some uggly jeans.  The extra g was for extra ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pedro said:

@cjfergs

SF Store visit 2011.

Was it the same flagship store that is there now? I was disappointed when I made the pilgrimage there in January 2017. Maybe they had just finished a sale but their LVC inventory was almost non-existent.

So then I walked down to the Headquarters where the small museum is located. The cool thing about that was to hang with the “repair shop” seamstress for awhile and see some of her handiwork. She was in her own space to the left as you enter the building.

 

It was the Union Square store.  No great shakes when I visited in 2008, but they did have the old soaking tub (albeit cordoned off for reno), and thanks to a fantastic sales associate, I found a cheap pair of LVC ‘55 that was my gateway into the madness.

In 2011 though, the whole basement was set up for vintage clothes, custom/repair shop and a full LVC setup; it was a marvel.   

No idea what the story is now, eight years later.  Frozen in time for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 2:45 AM, bartlebyyphonics said:

 

unlike the more discerning Maynard I have been buying in all recent lvc at 36w as I don't mind a baggy fit...

my recent stories

1890: same glorious denim (I think) as the triple pleat jacket: quite slim legs with high rise (thus baggy arse w. skinny legs if wearing at waist in modern style - ie not suspended)

1915: irregular denim, generous waist, two back pockets still w. suspender buttons and cinch only (and lvc cinch for these period jeans quite fragile and not that reliable)

1937: you know well enough 

1944: amazing flat yet rich denim, slim-ish legs with high rise (but the bar tack at crotch seam can be irritating)

1976: just get a pair (I want to get resolute 710 to compare...)

+ btw @vexed_wear wrong thread to say it, but I think yr boncoura 66 are one of the best fitted and worn pair I've seen: nicely done...

@bartlebyyphonics thanks for the info on your experiences with various LVC I’m tipping myself towards 1890 just because it seems nice and loose for everyday wear in hot humid Thailand.  But the 1970 that everyone seems to rave about around here is tempting too.  Might just need to collect them all! 

Re Boncoura thanks man, i really enjoying wearing it too.   I got the XX and the 66 ecru version and both are gorgeous pair.  Thinking about the cinch back but will probably buy LVC first just Incase the stock actually ran out.   The big type tumble drying machine that you can find in the launderette is supposed to give the jeans a better railing fade apparently from reading on Japanese blog and Thai LVC Facebook group 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 1:31 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ll be wearing my 37s once again this summer and I really liked the cut and lightweight denim on my 1915s. I never got to wear my 201s as they were too big so I gave them away, practically new.

Having said that, of my raw pairs, I’m really excited about breaking in both my 55s and 76s. I like the silhouette and denim of each model but particularly the 76 denim.

@Maynard Friedman I’m seriously thinking of 76 now since there seems to be a lot of love for it here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Privilege Program