Levi's Vintage Clothing

18 hours ago, VivaMarlon said:

This may have been answered, but anyone know if there will be restocks of anything that is currently unavailable? Looks like they've been out of the '66 in my size (30) for a while now.

if you go for the 1966 don't size down get your own size. they will lose an inch in the waist but slowly will stretch back to almost the same waist size as they were when new/raw. sizing down one you run the risk of not enough stretch in the waist. length will not return i lost just over an inch in the legs and they are not coming back good job i got 32 leg.

The double sided tab and the cheap looking buckle would really put me off those ( plenty of better options out there for that price ), they got the back seam right though ... so that’s a plus 

Edited by Flash

1937 2(5)01xx: if you are patient you will eventually find a pair at more reasonable price on ebay, allthough some japan ebayers sell these for around 800 $.

seems they are going crazy for the valencia street LVCs.

and beware of the sizing, they run true to size unwashed (also shrink a lot) and feature a heavy taper. (wide bumm and thighs / lean waist)

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

Hi everybody

On Levi's site the 66 jeans is listed as Rigid - Dark Wash

https://www.levi.com/GB/en_GB/clothing/men/jeans/levis-vintage-clothing-1966-501-jeans/p/665010128

while 47 jeans is listed as Rigid - Dark Indigo

https://www.levi.com/GB/en_GB/clothing/men/jeans/levis-vintage-clothing-1947-501-jeans/p/475010167

Could anyone clarify the difference between the two please.

Many thanks,

@vexed_wear both pairs are rigid, ignore the slight difference in description of the colour.

I bought a pair of 66s from them myself a couple of years ago, they had the same listing and were rigid.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

"Dark wash" is a general term for any denim that is dark. It doesn't always mean that it is literally washed. Most raw denims are dark washes. Wranglers would be one example of an exception. They are a medium wash, even when they are rigid.

That said, Levi's naming conventions can be screwy and inconsistent. 

But if it says "Rigid" or "Waterless" it's never seen water, even if they use other weird descriptions after these terms.

Edited by 428CJ

Just wondering if anyone wish to share what are some of their favorite pairs of LVC and why? 

I just started with a 1937.  My first proper LVC, the fit and lighter oz fabric has been great so far for 35C plus weather in Thailand.  

I've posted lots on here before about this, but this week my fave LVC are the 55, the 66, and the natural indigo 1880s. The previous 1880s, which were in synthetic indigo with a greenish natural indigo cast, are great too. I'm also a big fan of the old 1915 fabric. And I shouldn't forget the lovely three-pleat jacket.

On my old website, there's a guide to the models (scroll down towards the bottom) which is old but still mostly current.

I’ll be wearing my 37s once again this summer and I really liked the cut and lightweight denim on my 1915s. I never got to wear my 201s as they were too big so I gave them away, practically new.

Having said that, of my raw pairs, I’m really excited about breaking in both my 55s and 76s. I like the silhouette and denim of each model but particularly the 76 denim.

3 hours ago, vexed_wear said:

Just wondering if anyone wish to share what are some of their favorite pairs of LVC and why? 

I just started with a 1937.  My first proper LVC, the fit and lighter oz fabric has been great so far for 35C plus weather in Thailand.  

Shoot Buddy, I just left Thailand 2 days ago. Timing was off as I was there for the heat but work ended right when rainy season started.

I love my 37’s for exactly that reason...lighter weight and loose fit allows for good air circulation. Plus I can cinch and not wear a belt. I like the 201’s for that reason as well. 

Plus there are so many sidewalk seamstresses to keep them alive !

EDIT:

These are ‘33s and I need to unpack my ‘37s.

DD473D99-AD88-4CF3-A305-3C0EB49EF298.jpeg

D4C0BD61-69F0-460F-8FBA-96FE0C8D0DCC.jpeg

EE91C625-9231-4406-8A58-D8D338B2AAA2.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

I've posted lots on here before about this, but this week my fave LVC are the 55, the 66, and the natural indigo 1880s. The previous 1880s, which were in synthetic indigo with a greenish natural indigo cast, are great too. I'm also a big fan of the old 1915 fabric. And I shouldn't forget the lovely three-pleat jacket.

On my old website, there's a guide to the models (scroll down towards the bottom) which is old but still mostly current.

The first two you mentioned are the ones I want next, what do you like about them so much?  I'd love to know!

currently i´m breaking in a pair of '76, wearing em mostly on weekends for around two years now, with out a wash. also some '55 and '47 is in my rotation.

i like the 76 for fit and denim which is greyish, heavy and hairy - the 55 for the hairy and slubby denim - the 47 for the fit .

if i had another job i would break in my 1890s and 1880s, but scratching the office furniture  isn´t an option.

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

54 minutes ago, VivaMarlon said:

The first two you mentioned are the ones I want next, what do you like about them so much?  I'd love to know!

The 55 is lovely quality Cone denim, with a great classic fit. The quintessential Levi's really.

The 66 is a bit skinnier, really nice fit, blue-er denim, which is good but personally I don't love the fabric as much the 55. I've never owned the 76 but I think that sounds on a par with the 66.

Really I like them all; they're all distinct although the very early models are harder to work with, they take years before they come into their own. I've been wearing my 1890s in the summer for maybe 10 years and they still need another few years.

Given that all Cone stock will be gone soon, the 55 and 66 or 76 are really worth splashing out for . Once they're gone they're gone.

Edited by Paul T

Hey @vexed_wear

for hot weather my 1915 is lvc favourite as is light, but also quite wide leg, but quite pyjama-esque for work...

in terms of favourite jeans - no experience of the the 50s/60s and been getting a fair few of the recent releases of pre-'47 cuts and denims which all have pretty self-explanatory characteristics (specific fabrics, vintage detail and cuts) and wear each for those aspects.

The 1976 jean is the real surprise hit for me; didn't expect to like as much as I do - great denim and subtle very wearable cut (would consider buying again to stock up on it...)

of all the lvc/cone denims my favourite is type 1 jacket for its chunky-ness and royal-blue ness; would love a pair of jeans in that fabric (it is similar to, but heavier than the '37)

10 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

Hey @vexed_wear

for hot weather my 1915 is lvc favourite as is light, but also quite wide leg, but quite pyjama-esque for work...

in terms of favourite jeans - no experience of the the 50s/60s and been getting a fair few of the recent releases of pre-'47 cuts and denims which all have pretty self-explanatory characteristics (specific fabrics, vintage detail and cuts) and wear each for those aspects.

The 1976 jean is the real surprise hit for me; didn't expect to like as much as I do - great denim and subtle very wearable cut (would consider buying again to stock up on it...)

of all the lvc/cone denims my favourite is type 1 jacket for its chunky-ness and royal-blue ness; would love a pair of jeans in that fabric (it is similar to, but heavier than the '37)

Thanks for the advice re 1915.  Don’t think it’s easy to find that model right now.  Is it similar to 1890?  I think that’s still around on their web site.  Plus lovely to hear your lvc stories.  

I have got 55 in my wardrobe unworn but with cones defunct.  Seriously thinking about getting the 76 now.  

21 hours ago, Paul T said:

The 55 is lovely quality Cone denim, with a great classic fit. The quintessential Levi's really.

The 66 is a bit skinnier, really nice fit, blue-er denim, which is good but personally I don't love the fabric as much the 55. I've never owned the 76 but I think that sounds on a par with the 66.

Really I like them all; they're all distinct although the very early models are harder to work with, they take years before they come into their own. I've been wearing my 1890s in the summer for maybe 10 years and they still need another few years.

Given that all Cone stock will be gone soon, the 55 and 66 or 76 are really worth splashing out for . Once they're gone they're gone.

Is the leg on 33 wider than the 37?   They are really nice in your pics Pedro.  What were you doing in Thailand just out of interest?   From around November till March a 14oz Boncoura Jeans is manageable in this part of the world.   But during the summer season the 37 do nicely.  

23 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ll be wearing my 37s once again this summer and I really liked the cut and lightweight denim on my 1915s. I never got to wear my 201s as they were too big so I gave them away, practically new.

Having said that, of my raw pairs, I’m really excited about breaking in both my 55s and 76s. I like the silhouette and denim of each model but particularly the 76 denim.

Hey Meynard.  I have a 37 and a 55.  What would you recommend me to go for between 47 66 and 76 as a next pair?  

Funnily enough I found the 1915s to be a reasonably slimmer fit (I have athletic ie non-slim legs) in comparison to my 201s or 37s, especially from the knee down, where they had what I’d describe as a stove-pipe fit. This may be because I had to size down 2 sizes (from a 32 to a 30) as the waist came up so big - this was the same on 2 pairs, although I sold one, still new, due to back rivet scratching on furniture, floors, etc.

I’d recommend the 76s. I have a raw pair of 66s too and would probably swap them for another pair of 76s. I have no knowledge of, nor to be honest, interest in, the 47s as they are a fairly slim cut.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

2 hours ago, vexed_wear said:

Thanks for the advice re 1915.  Don’t think it’s easy to find that model right now.  Is it similar to 1890?  I think that’s still around on their web site.  Plus lovely to hear your lvc stories.  

I have got 55 in my wardrobe unworn but with cones defunct.  Seriously thinking about getting the 76 now.  

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Funnily enough I found the 1915s to be a reasonably slimmer fit (I have athletic ie non-slim legs) in comparison to my 201s or 37s, especially from the knee down, where they had what I’d describe as a stove-pipe fit.

unlike the more discerning Maynard I have been buying in all recent lvc at 36w as I don't mind a baggy fit...

my recent stories

1890: same glorious denim (I think) as the triple pleat jacket: quite slim legs with high rise (thus baggy arse w. skinny legs if wearing at waist in modern style - ie not suspended)

1915: irregular denim, generous waist, two back pockets still w. suspender buttons and cinch only (and lvc cinch for these period jeans quite fragile and not that reliable)

1937: you know well enough 

1944: amazing flat yet rich denim, slim-ish legs with high rise (but the bar tack at crotch seam can be irritating)

1976: just get a pair (I want to get resolute 710 to compare...)

+ btw @vexed_wear wrong thread to say it, but I think yr boncoura 66 are one of the best fitted and worn pair I've seen: nicely done...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I'm suddenly interested in the '54 501zxx... what's the fit and sizing like? Are they considered a slim cut? I have the '76 in 34x34 and they are 1 size too big. The current 501 STF in 33x34 fits perfectly.