Levi's Vintage Clothing

Okay. I probably sound like a newb, but can someone gimmie a basic difference between the 1967 505, the 1955 501 and the 1947 501? I kinda think I want my next pair to be Levis. I love the blue. But I want something more relaxed than my Red-D's and something with a higher rise that I can still wear low if need be. I can't for the life of me understand the differences between all these. Also where can I get them in 31x36 or longer :(

those are indeed the EGxLevis collab. There are quite a few details different from the normal 47's, such as: they're not STF and don't use contrast stitching. The red at the hem is an Engineered Garments detail.

you'd think that levi's would want to advertise those jeans as EGxLevis, rather than calling them LVC 47s.

Guest Dubmaster

I would say wait a while, wear it for a few months then dry clean.

I just got my lvc 501 1947 raws today. As of now I already like the fit of them. Should I soak now? Or should I wait a while?

Just scored a pair of raw 1927 501s from Dejan. Probably the last of the made in USA LVCs. Not bad. I think Cultizm has some now.

They're nice jeans. Maybe a little slimmer than the 33, quite a dark colour like the 1901, I think with minimal washing they'll fade just as well. I've added these to the 501 guide with front and back photos here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=599608&postcount=2

I just got my lvc 501 1947 raws today. As of now I already like the fit of them. Should I soak now? Or should I wait a while?

If you have 1-2 inches of extra length in the leg, I would give them a quick cold soak, literally 20 minutes. They'll shrink maybe an inch in the leg, and 1/2-3/4 in the waist. But do the old-style method, wear em as they dry, and the waist will stretch back out the its initial size and fit. That way, your honeycombs etc will stay in the right place after their first wash. When they do get dirty, handwash cold (use laundry soap for the really grungy bits) and shrinking will be minimal.

I've tried dry cleaning in the past to keep fading and shrinking to a minimum, it doesn't really work, and they're not particularly nice chemicals for your jeans, or for the planet.

I've tried dry cleaning in the past to keep fading and shrinking to a minimum, it doesn't really work, and they're not particularly nice chemicals for your jeans, or for the planet.

They looked damn good though.

I know you did it with your some Lees (are those pics still around?), didn't know you did 'em with Levi's.

How much did it cost you? Did you get it from Japan? Does it have the tab and arcs?

Got them from supermarket. PM me if you want more info, so as to not pollute the LVC thread any more.

17 oz is way to heavy in my opinion. Original Levis were 9 oz and didn't have the red tag...

They're definitely not a true repro. The 17oz is heavy, but fine for fall and winter. 9oz makes a lot more sense for people doing physical labor in direct sun all day. I have some 20's 201s that I wear in the warmer months.

Fattybfat ,

The 551zxx in your pics are a repro of a 1960s jean , the precursor of the 505 . The originals were the first Levi preshrunk jeans , the LVC booklet that came with my pair date the repro to a 1963 jean . I have bought a lot of jeans , repro jeans , my pair of 551zxx are by far the best pair of jeans I have ever owned .

ps there is a lvc booklet thread on superdenim, might be pics of 551zxx in it .

First ones look like the 1954(?) zipper version of the 501s. LVC produced these in the late 90s. The second ones look like a washed version of the 1947 501s. I think they're from 2001.

the first is the 551zxx which was the first pre-shrunk levis, introduced in 1963. has a zipper.

second ones are prob 47s but could be 1954s.

Can anyone confirm this? I knew that with Taylor Togs closing down last year the future of US-made LVC was in the air, but was still holding out hope they would find another US-based manufacturer.

I believe they've found another US manufacturer, but they wouldn't tell me who.

I think that the second jeans are 47s - the 50s LVC usually have pale yellow, not orange, stitching at the top of the pockets.But if you look at the label inside you should find the model number and year of production.

I believe they've found another US manufacturer, but they wouldn't tell me who.

I think that the second jeans are 47s - the 50s LVC usually have pale yellow, not orange, stitching at the top of the pockets.But if you look at the label inside you should find the model number and year of production.

I think here is the new US manufacturer , has no. 233M on top botton ,the cut and denim no difference from 643M .

DSC_3151.jpg

DSC_3150.jpg

These are my 47's. I'm not sure when I started wearing them but it was some time around April/May/June last year. I've been wearing them every day since. When I first got 'em I soaked them good and since then I've given 'em four or five soakin's (two times with some Y3 detergent, very gentle stuff). The last 7-8-9 months I haven't soaked them at all though.

utveckling3mm.jpg

Yes. I only have a crotchshot.

For the 1947 LVC 501s:

From this thread I see that you are supposed to buy them +2 sizes from your normal size. Is this your normal vanity size or normal true size?

A well fitting pair of jeans I own measures 17, should I get a 35 sized pair 1947? It'll shrink to 33 and then stretch to 34 for the final size.

Sorry this Shrinking business is very confusing ;)