Levi's Vintage Clothing

15 hours ago, Ciabatta said:

Any sites with decent size charts for the ‘54 501s? For either the rinsed or rigid versions?

Size 34x34 Rigid measured BiG style by me if this helps

Waist: 17.25"
Front Rise: 12"
Back Rise: 17"
Inseam: 33.5"
Thigh: 13"
Knee: 9.5"
Leg Opening: 8"

18 minutes ago, Ciabatta said:

So the rinsed version of the same tagged size would match what your rigid pair shrink to after a wash?

Do not assume that. It might be the case sometimes (Levi's is notoriously inconsistent), but IME, it is not. As an example, look through the last page or two for my measurements from a rigid LVC item vs. a rinsed one (two Triple-Pleat Blouses in this case). With the same tag size, the pre-rinsed one has a significantly larger pit-to-pit measurement than the Rigid one, and that's before the Rigid one has ever seen water (i.e. the difference will be even greater once they are both rinsed). This would suggest to me that LVC, at least sometimes, uses different patterns for items that will be pre-rinsed. They might even use different denims and different factories.

Bottom line, you need to track down a size chart for pre-rinsed '54's specifically, not just view a Rigid '54 size chart and extrapolate.

I joined sufu in 2009 and started, in my teens, with a pair of 1947s. I still remember the day I received them—great times. I had a 55 after that as well, which wore beautifully and a 78. I tried a few Japanese brands for a while but that didn't last too long. I haven't postet since 2014 as I wasn't really keen on buying anything new and just wore these jeans.

Last week I thought it might be a nice idea to start the new year with a new pair of denim and bought a 44. It's only today that I read the stuff about the White Oak plant having shut down. What a sad story!

I remember back in the 2009/2010 era many people sniffing at LVC's offerings because they thought them to be not vintage-correct, slubby enough... Now probably quite a few wish they'd had the chance to wear a pair... I always like the subtle quality of their denim. My 2009 1947 was the best of them all though. It shrank down after the first soak and basically stayed there after that. Many later 47s were stretchier.

It was great while it lasted. I remember the excitement about the 78s or the new version of the 1915 denim (iirc).

I hope LVC will carry on though. They produce beautiful pieces, not only denim.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, MJF9 said:

Welcome @Maitiu. Nice coat!

On 1/12/2018 at 6:21 PM, lance said:

Yes, I do too! Nice first LVC pickup, Maitiu

Thanks fellas! I'm digging this coat a lot. Finally got around to wearing it tonight.

J72WHs0Y_o.jpg

pzyBApvg_o.jpg

7pU6RlmG_o.png

Edited by Maitiu

8 hours ago, civicex said:

You guys have definitely sold me on the 1976's!

I'm looking for a slimmer fit though - does anyone know if this will go well if I size down one? 

The waist ist exactly TTS but the legs are cut somewhat relaxed. If you want a slim fit, that's not the right model IMHO. After years in slimmer fitting jeans I enjoy this cut a lot. Already have two and will get another one as soon as I find a voucher code.

Some have requested fit pictures of me in my '76s, so here they are. Sorry for the bad lighting, but hopefully you get the general idea. I am approximately 170cm/72kg, and am wearing a size 31/34. My first time wearing these since like September of 2017. (Yes, I'm wearing Crocs haha)

IMG_20180124_140238-01.thumb.jpeg.349b542e6132d7a7143d5355a75c02e1.jpeg

IMG_20180124_140454-01.thumb.jpeg.a2550a53f29b87ea3336b6cca7c7a9d2.jpeg

IMG_20180124_140519-01.thumb.jpeg.690ba3ab6e134d1c6df1da208b7b37fa.jpeg

14 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

Some have requested fit pictures of me in my '76s, so here they are. Sorry for the bad lighting, but hopefully you get the general idea. I am approximately 170cm/72kg, and am wearing a size 31/34. My first time wearing these since like September of 2017. (Yes, I'm wearing Crocs haha)

Very good fit on that jeans. On me they look much wider due to my fat waist. I'm 184, also wear a 34 inseam and mine has more break. Either you have superlong legs or the inseam just kept on shrinking. After a very hot and long soak and a cold wash my inseam is now at 79 cm.

Can you measure the inseam, please?

Oh yeah, here are some extra photos of the colour of my '76s. It was definitely a sunny day, so the denim is not actually that light in-person. I need to get some repairs done as the inseam near the hem is coming undone from constant cuffing + friction. Also the crotch could do with a bit of a reinforcement. I've been hearing some people saying that the raw measurements are on the smaller side, but I didn't find that that was the case with mine. However, if I were to get another pair, I'd go with maybe a 32/34 or 33/34 just because I like looser fits these days.

IMG_20180124_143508-01.thumb.jpeg.95e878fd933f2aa725aa2bd97b85ef8e.jpeg

IMG_20180124_143541-01.thumb.jpeg.dee9ea172730c85a50ee73a04fa45c85.jpeg

IMG_20180124_143727-01.thumb.jpeg.24e7d5a6e5279d8e9b97bd817032a505.jpeg

@ushokmwn I'll measure the inseam tonight for you. I do have long legs for my height, and the following picture was me in my prime.

20170618_110742.thumb.jpg.91bf9ad6e10a4f4f1cf330a06a30474f.jpg

17 hours ago, ushokmwn said:

Very good fit on that jeans. On me they look much wider due to my fat waist. I'm 184, also wear a 34 inseam and mine has more break. Either you have superlong legs or the inseam just kept on shrinking. After a very hot and long soak and a cold wash my inseam is now at 79 cm.

Can you measure the inseam, please?

Hey mate, I measured the inseam, and it's about 78cm. There is probably less stacking on my pair because long legs + mid rise + hiking up my pants = less break.

16 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

Hey mate, I measured the inseam, and it's about 78cm. There is probably less stacking on my pair because long legs + mid rise + hiking up my pants = less break.

Awesome pictures Propeller! How many washes/soaks did you do for these jeans?

Just picked up this 519xx second hand. It's a blanket lined 1953 type ii made with 13oz Cone Mills from what I've found online. I gave it a quick cold wash in the delicate setting and got minor shrink in width but pretty significant shrink in length, which made the sleeves a perfect length for me. I've never worn a repro jacket so the short length will take some getting used to. 

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

20 hours ago, kevypf597 said:

I've never worn a repro jacket so the short length will take some getting used to. 

You might have to start tucking your shirts in but once you get used to the shorter jacket you might find that you wouldn't have it any other way. First proper length jean jacket I had is my 71 lee 101j - I bought it at a good will for 3.99 and it took me quite a while to realize how great it was. Now all my jackets are like that and modified length jackets look weird to me. 

Hey, by chance, does anyone have a pair of 78s (not 76), tagged 30 or 31 in the waist, that they wouldn't mind getting rid of? Been looking around on ebay/grailed, but they never come up. I remember most people didn't like them, but I think the cut would be perfect for me.