Levi's Vintage Clothing

6 hours ago, kicks79 said:

How much did people's 66s shrink?

I got the same size as my 76s however I'm finding the waist feels a little smaller. Worried that I should have sized up one.

I have the same size in both and both fit fine after shrinking and stretching.

33 minutes ago, Coolguyzack said:

As far as actual vintage Levi's go, what's the consensus of the non-selvedge 501 STFs from the 80s/90s? I feel like the denim actually looks pretty good, but idk if it's worth the "vintage" upcharge.

Example from ebay:

Reveal hidden contents

They're very good quality jeans – the best bang for the buck in old Levi's IMO. But be aware than they can be *very* slim fitting in comparison to both modern style 501's and older style 501's. Be sure to get thigh and hip/butt measurements from your seller! Today's size 35 STFs give me plenty of leg room; my early '90's pair of the same size, I can baaaaaaarely get into (as in I really shouldn't be wearing them...but I do it from time to time anyhow).

As for value, I wouldn't consider them to be collectible in a "vintage" way. They're just becoming more and more desirable in dead stock condition in a utilitarian sense. They are the last of the era of very well made Levi's that will actually last 30 years if you want them to, and you don't have to pay collector prices for red line edging with these. They're certainly worth twice what a new pair of outsourced 501's sells for today, based solely on materials quality and build quality, which adds up to a longer life for the jeans. Personally, I might pay $100–$125 for a pair (if I needed one), as opposed to paying $88 plus tax for a pair of modern M.I.U.S.A. Levi's...but beyond that price, I'd just get the new M.I.U.S.A. Cone 501's for $88. Those are actually pretty well made for the money, in comparison to outsourced 501's that are not even $30 cheaper, list.

Note that I am talking about dead stock jeans above. These are almost worthless if already washed and worn. You can really get a huge bang for the buck by purchasing lightly worn pairs from this era of Levi's.

Also, be aware that 505's from the same era are even cheaper, and just as good (arguably "better," due to having a zipper).

Edited by 428CJ

On 12/15/2017 at 6:06 PM, Coolguyzack said:

As far as actual vintage Levi's go, what's the consensus of the non-selvedge 501 STFs from the 80s/90s? I feel like the denim actually looks pretty good, but idk if it's worth the "vintage" upcharge.

Example from ebay:

Reveal hidden contents

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Just got these in the mail today, and I am very happy with them.

IMG_5089.thumb.JPG.738d444215cd629d84bd3569df679445.JPG

Levi's 505's, M.I.U.S.A., rigid, new with tags. $60 shipped. Must be not too far from the end of U.S.A. production, as the pocket tag looks pretty modern (even has a Website on it). I'm thinking very late '90's (just a gut feeling, without having researched the specifics). Very well-made, in perfect condition, and an absolutely outstanding fit. 13" rise, 13+ inch thighs, and no vanity sizing on a size 36 about has me in tears of joy here. I wish they were stil cut like that. Ah, to think these used to be only 20 or 25 bucks at any department store in any town... They won't win any cool vintage jeans awards, but given what crummy Levi's cost these days, and how poorly they fit me in comparison, I consider this money well spent.

Edited by 428CJ

Those who want the TPB, and don't mind it in the pre-rinsed version, now is the time. All sizes are available on the Levi's Website, and marked down to $140 with their current sale code. Trying hard not to grab one myself (I already have a rigid one from the last huge sale).

Edited by 428CJ

Superjackie linking that well worn Hellers Cafe duck jacket in the WH thread reminded me I should really wear and wash this more often. Going to try to give it a good beating over the next 12 months. 

I love the old-school patches on these older pieces  

IMG_8385.JPG

IMG_8386.JPG

3 hours ago, unders said:

Cheers Alex, think it was mid-late 2000s. 

It is a lovely pullover. I've posted mine a few times here, although at the moment it's on the backburner for me as the three-pleat is a similar light weight for indoor, winter wear.

There is a related top in this year's season, in the same natural indigo Cone fabric as the Stumpy reissue. It is lovely, although personally I would have liked a raw version. It has been issued once before - a friend of mine has one he picked up, I think at least one of the versions was from Levi's Japan.

LVCpullover.jpg

and here's my cotton duck jumper, a few years back. It is one of my very favourite LVC. There was an early reissue of the duck jumper with Japanese or Turkish fabric; mine is the one with the Cone fabric, with very wide selvage line, from 2010 or so.

Here's a story about the fabric, which was used on the very earliest Levi's:

http://loomstate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/if-it-quacks-is-it-canvas.html

Cotton duck 2.jpg

Edited by Paul T

Well, couldn't help myself. Given the $139.99 price tag during the current sale stacking, I ordered a rinsed TPB. I already have a rigid one, and I don't like pre-rinsed denim. But I've fantasized about over-dyeing a TPB black for some time, and I figure a pre-rinsed one on deep discount is the perfect piece to do that to.

Also nabbed a rigid Sunset shirt during this stacked sale. That's something I love, but never even considered at normal price (costs as much an an LVC denim jacket). I wanted to grab a Sunset striped henley too, but they are sold out of my size.

Edited by 428CJ

On 30/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, Paul T said:

That's a great, informative article Paul, thanks for sharing. I'd always wondered about the prominent black selvedge and that explanation makes perfect sense. 

The current denim jumper does look very good. I have to confess to being pretty out of touch with current collections mainly because I'm not down in London to visit Cinch so much these days, and when I am the kids nag for the Science Musuem so for an easy life I just go there! It reminds me of an open front denim jumper I have. It's up there with an old pair of 47s (ahem...far too small now) as my favourite LVC bits. I'll take some pics tomorrow when I've got the light. I think I can make out the current version is lot 3 denim as is mine. 

Edit: looks like the current one is lot 2 having looked at the LVC site. 

Edit 2: here's a couple of photos found on my phone of my 1911 open front jumper. Please excuse the photo-bombing nipper  

IMG_8393.PNG

IMG_8394.PNG

Edited by unders