Levi's Vintage Clothing

5 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I ordered a triple pleat jacket from the UK website with a 30% discount code last Tuesday and received an email confirmation of my order. As I hadn’t heard anything for over a week, I chased it yesterday. After about 5 emails, Levi’s have now informed me that the order was cancelled due to a technical issue(!) even though no one had informed me and that I should resubmit my order. Basically, they do not want to honour the discount code and would prefer me to pay full price for a jacket advertised at a discount.

Of course I declined and asked them to honour the original order and told them I wanted to complain about their disingenuous practice - I’m still awaiting their reply. What a bunch of charlatans!

Oh, no one answers when I call their customer care line either. Great service Levi’s.

Surprised this order was cancelled as it was so early in the week. I made 2 LVC orders on Wednesday/Thursday, both arrived the following day. I kept receiving messages asking me to complete my order in respect of a pair of 76 I'd left in my cart - of course when I tried to order it kept saying my cart was empty! I did contact Levi's to query this and received a response earlier today implying that the item had gone out of stock. I've responded noting that the majority of the LVC stock was pulled off the website after the Black Friday promotion went live and it was now available again (and my item was now back in stock) - I don't expect a satisfactory reply. Levi's do themselves no favours here it's a bad customer experience.

3 hours ago, ushokmwn said:

Exact raw measurements:

Waist: 46,5 cm
Thigh: 34 cm
Hem: 22,5 cm
Inseam: 85 cm

So they are TTS. My only concern would be the 33.5" inside leg - might order a 36/36 if I buy a pair.

Arrived today: Triple Pleat Blouse (XL) and 1955 501's (34/34).

I thought these raw measurements might be helpful.

Triple Pleat Blouse (XL):

Chest (armpit to armpit): 24.0"

Waistband: 24.0"

^^^ As you can see from those, there is zero taper on this jacket.

Shoulder to shoulder: 21.25"

Front length (placket top to bottom, plus waistband width): 23.5"

Sleeve length, shoulder to cuff: 26.0"

Sleeve length, pit to cuff: 20.25"

Sleeve width, top (pit to shoulder): 11"

Sleeve length, halfway (13"): 7.75"

Cuff width: 5.25" 

^^^ As you can see by the arm width measurements, it has very wide arms up top, with a very heavy taper.

The weight makes it feel reminiscent of an oversized heavy rigid denim shirt, but the cut prevents it from wearing as such; it's a "light jacket" to my naming conventions. The 90 degree tilt on the grain is very noticeable, in feel and in look. The color is a beautiful dusty grayish medium blue, typical natural indigo hue. I'm not sure if it uses natural indigo dye or not, but that is certainly the look it's trying to replicate. The waistband is "tilted" forward – slightly lower in front and slightly higher in back.

My only complaint is that I don't like the leather patch, in terms of placement or content. Other than that, I love everything about the "blouse."

1955 501's (34/34):

Waistband: 35.5"

Hips (at point where pocket reinforcement top stitching ends): 42.0"

Thigh, at crotch: 26.5"

Thigh, 2" down from crotch" 25.0"

Knee, at factory fold: 20.0"

Hem: 17.75"

Front rise: 13.0"

Rear rise: 16.5"

Inseam: 33.5"

Due to lack of stock, I ordered these '55's as 34's, rather than my usual 36's. These are going to work out great, because they are such a relaxed fit, and I don't mind a tight waistband and hips on a loose fitting jean (and they'll stretch anyhow). These jeans seem to have legs that are about one size larger than most other cuts of the same size. E.g. most of the leg measurements are very close to my '44's and '66's, which are size 36's. The waist and hips will stretch out to fit me great in the end, and there is enough room in the legs that they will be fine once shrunk. However, I do want to pick up a pair of 36's in the future, so I can go full-on maxin' and relaxin' in a pair of '55's. Extremely comfortable fit on these! A straight legged cut, yes, but really not extremely straighter than my other LVC 501's. These mainly just have what would be called a relaxed fit today, which means you could look at them from two perspectives: 1) loose fitting legs and a regular fitting upper block when worn in your waist size, or 2) normally fitting legs and a form fitted upper block when worn with a sized down waist.

(@somatoform, you PMd me asking for the Triple Pleat measurements.)

Edited by 428CJ

6 hours ago, cool_hand said:

So they are TTS. My only concern would be the 33.5" inside leg - might order a 36/36 if I buy a pair.

The label on mine states 5% shrinkage and this is very near where they are now after soaking for an hour in very hot water. Inseam is now 80,5 cm. I was hoping for a bit more.

sorry to hear about that crapfest maynard-san!

snagged this type i 

a lil more rugged than the 3pleat allowing for woolen layering beneath (weather getting srs chills now)

but still good boxy fit with wide arms

with much recent lvc finding little shrinkage

but with this - labelled for only 5% shrinkage - got a good amount out with hot soak and 40c wash (xl raw was pretty voluminous)

very blue, with quite a crunchy rigid feel, far less textured than 1915 jeans but not as smooth as the 1944s

puckered texture around seams is jolliness

an array of pix: some natural light, some targeted artificial, and a wee comparison with the tcb 20s with whom they will be paired

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

^^ that some good news m! i hope the 3pleat is the resolution!

and thnx for props

returning to lvc after a good few years avoidance, am happyhappy with the cone chromatic and textural palette accruing

top to bottom, according to period

triple pleat (1880?)

type i (1936)

IMG_5093.JPG

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

12 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Put them in the washing machine and you might get more shrinkage. But inseam-wise my 34x34 is also at 80.6 cm after a cold machine wash.

Yes, perhaps that's the only way to shrink them. I poured boiling water over them and let them soak in it this morning for an hour (fresh boiling water every 15 minutes). Was hoping for some extra centimeters when I came home from work but they didn't shrink one additional millimeter. The length is borderline OK, though.

Put them on for a test stroll through the city. Never wore jeans with such a high rise. They end less than two fingers below my navel. I reached to get something from the sidepockets but there were no pockets. The pockets were much higher, near my navel. The cut on me is also very, very generous. Maybe size 34 would have sufficed.

Edited by ushokmwn

3 hours ago, ushokmwn said:

Yes, perhaps that's the only way to shrink them. I poured boiling water over them and let them soak in it this morning for an hour (fresh boiling water every 15 minutes). Was hoping for some extra centimeters when I came home from work but they didn't shrink one additional millimeter. The length is borderline OK, though.

Put them on for a test stroll through the city. Never wore jeans with such a high rise. They end less than two fingers below my navel. I reached to get something from the sidepockets but there were no pockets. The pockets were much higher, near my navel. The cut on me is also very, very generous. Maybe size 34 would have sufficed.

let us know how you get on - be keen to compare all the post shrink measurements to the pre shrink 

8 hours ago, ushokmwn said:

If I read the thread right, you are talking about '76's. If so, you must not be a very tall person, because they don't have a high rise.

I would treat them as a relaxed fit, and get the waistband tailored in to suit you. Boiling and tumble drying hot help, but they can only do so much. That or add some extra rear belt buckles so you can cinch them tight.

Edited by 428CJ

Yes, I got the 1976 501 in 36x34.

I'm a bit above 6 feet. Probably it just takes some time getting used to such a rise. They do fit well around the belly ("waist") but I need to lose some weight. Belt at this height is also a new experience. I'm warming up to this cut and will wear them tonight. Not sure if I'm ready to wear them to work, though.

I wonder how this jeans fades at other people who spend the most of the day on a chair. If it fades as fast as it got reported here, do you get one large fade on the butt and everything else remains near raw?

Edited by ushokmwn

3 minutes ago, ushokmwn said:

do you get one large fade on the butt and everything else remains near raw?

lol I'd be surprised if you did. Unless you sit in the exact same position for 6 months. But you need friction for fades so you need to move, maybe if you build some contraption that will move your chair around without you having to move a muscle, so everything but the butt stays raw?

2 hours ago, ushokmwn said:

Yes, I got the 1976 501 in 36x34.

I'm a bit above 6 feet. Probably it just takes some time getting used to such a rise. They do fit well around the belly ("waist") but I need to lose some weight. Belt at this height is also a new experience. I'm warming up to this cut and will wear them tonight. Not sure if I'm ready to wear them to work, though.

I wonder how this jeans fades at other people who spend the most of the day on a chair. If it fades as fast as it got reported here, do you get one large fade on the butt and everything else remains near raw?

It's very strange to me that at over 6 feet tall, you are finding the rise on those to feel excessively high. I am 5'11", 210# (not really tall, and clearly overweight), and the 12.5" rise on my LVC '66's feels kind of saggy and relaxed to me. They sit a solid 2-1/2", almost 3" at times, below my navel, and I'm a couple inches shorter than you. The '76 can't be that much higher (but if they are, I need a pair).

Edited by 428CJ

If anyone wants a pair of 1976 size 34 x 36 for £126 (excluding shipping) before I return them to Levis, DM me before Tuesday. I managed to get them with the 30% coupon so thought I'd offer them here with the discount before sending them back.

Measured:

Waist (pulled flat) 17.5"

Leg - 36"

Thigh - 12.5"

Hem - 8.5"

Edited by jewellben
added

Wearing my LVC '55 for the first time. I like the purplish color of the denim and I love wearing a Levi's again. Two things I noticed right away is that the pocket bags are too small (for such a high rise cut) and the belt loops on each side of the fly are too close together (to comfortably wear a belt with a hard keeper).

On 12/3/2017 at 2:37 AM, JDelage said:

Wearing my LVC '55 for the first time. I like the purplish color of the denim and I love wearing a Levi's again. Two things I noticed right away is that the pocket bags are too small (for such a high rise cut) and the belt loops on each side of the fly are too close together (to comfortably wear a belt with a hard keeper).

Affirm, the pockets are too small...I can hardly put in my HP in it.

On December 2, 2017 at 10:37 AM, JDelage said:

1 hour ago, alvin_cheong said:

Affirm, the pockets are too small...I can hardly put in my HP in it.

That's weird. These two posts inspired me to compare my '44, '55, and '66 LVCs. All the pocket bags feel (and measure) about the same on my pairs...and my '55's are a smaller size than the other two. I compared them to a few pairs of my Wranglers, and the Wrangler pockets are about 1/2" deeper. I also don't see the purple tint. The '55's just look a hair darker than the '66's, and a bit more hairy/fuzzy.

Edited by 428CJ

53 minutes ago, kicks79 said:

How much did people's 66s shrink?

I got the same size as my 76s however I'm finding the waist feels a little smaller. Worried that I should have sized up one.

On my 12th straight day of wear on the '66's. Haven't shrunk them yet, and haven't measured stretch yet (I will at around a month). I'll see how they hold up to B.O. None yet, and that's a good sign. That means that for some reason, they are pretty funk resistant. Same with my black Wranglers; they just magically resist funk somehow. A lot of my pairs are like that, but some are not. There's one in particular that started smelling within a week or two, and needs to be de-funked every two weeks or so. It's a mystery to me.

I'll wash the '66's as coldly and as briefly as I can for their life. They'll work great for me both shrunk and unshrunk. For now, I like the relaxed fit, so I would rather see them slowly shrink over the years via spaced out cold washes, than get it all out of the way now with a hot soak.

Edited by 428CJ

1 hour ago, kicks79 said:

How much did people's 66s shrink?

I got the same size as my 76s however I'm finding the waist feels a little smaller. Worried that I should have sized up one.

Screenshot_20171204-150251.thumb.png.921fe91a047e1e78fa65e3d8934ed1e0.png

Here you go. Waist now measures around 40.5cm after wearing for around 1.5 months, and the seat/thighs/knees have also stretched out a bit although I haven't managed to measure them. Hope it works out for you =)

If anyone is interested, I re-measured my 36/34 '66's after 12 days of dry wear.

The only thing that I know has significantly changed is the waistband. 36.5" –> 38", or about 4 percent stretch. This has happened even with a belt cinched up a bit tighter than the waistband; without the belt, it might have stretched more. I regret not taking a couple of hip measurements initially. Right now, at the halfway point of the front rise, the hips measure 46", but I have no idea if they were initially a bit smaller or not.

These are a quite relaxed fit at the moment, and I am enjoying it while it lasts. I'll like them once they shrink too.

Surprisingly, I'm already clearly seeing the beginnings of whiskers forming. I didn't expect to be able to see that so soon.

Edited by 428CJ