prince_boys18

Levi's Vintage Clothing

1966's, size 36/34. Just pulled the tags off to wear them for the day.

A few posts ago, I listed the basic measurements, but here they are again:

waist: 36.5"

rise: 12.5"

inseam: 33.0"

thigh: 27" at crotch, 26" two inches down

20" at actual knee.

hem: 17.5"

They are followed by a comparison photo of my new '44's (36/36). Despite the taper, the '66's feel and look like a more squat cut. 1.5" less rise, feels like a proportionally lower rear rise (though I haven't confirmed via measurement), slightly fuller cut, and bigger, lower pockets. Aside from the fact that the rise is a little lower, and it has jeans pockets instead of slash pockets, the top block feels and looks very much like a classic dungaree cut: roomy upper thighs and butt, with big, slightly low pockets – slighly "pseudo-sagged" look. But then the legs taper. This is probably the most informal/laid-back looking and – dare I say – "modern" looking cut of LVC 501's (though I don't think the '76's are very different, aside from color). Other than the size of the rear pockets, it really seems like modern 501's (STFs and OFs) are pretty much this cut.

I'm 5'11", with 26.5" thighs at crotch level, a big butt, and 17" calves. Both of these pairs feel great on me. Relaxed without being baggy, and form following without being restrictively form fitting. Very well designed cuts, at least for my body – very comfortable, while still having "shape." And as they slowly tighten up over the years, they'll still be a good fit – probably even slightly better in the end.

P.S. Sorry about the dirty mirror. These were just bang-'em-out-quick-type pix to show the basic profiles of the jeans.

LVC1966-1.thumb.jpg.ae2ea3fb7523a4e8b8c072e345a08e41.jpgLVC1944-2.thumb.jpg.4998779fe18ec7e34c5156fadf6cb145.jpg

Edited by 428CJ

7 hours ago, albmuzquiz said:

Yo, the price match is good for up to 14 days after your order!!

Done and done; $52.55 comin' back at me, making it $78.83 shipped for the pair. You are a denim buddy indeed! Thanks very much. I never would have thought to have hassled them for an after-the-fact price reduction, especially on an item that was already so deeply discounted when I first ordered it – nor would I have thought to use a live chat to do it so quickly (I would have called). Good calls, man!

Edited by 428CJ

40% off Levis.com with Indigo40.

Still see a lot of options left with Cone Denim. Wish the closed front jumper was still available.

@ecsong187 - Thanks for this. Missed on the 1955 rigid, but got the One Rinse for $144, one can't be too picky...

@Paul T

no replication of post at all: pix are undeniable greatness.

the buttons are a source of terror, but also what give the garment its glorious nature (fine denim, fine button attachment, a boxy shirt in truth)

and wondering about the lvc type 1 jacket: any thoughts on the denim quality? thinking about adding a cone vs tcb denim analytics to the contest...

4 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

@Paul T

and wondering about the lvc type 1 jacket: any thoughts on the denim quality? thinking about adding a cone vs tcb denim analytics to the contest...

I have Valencia St type 1 and type 2 jackets—cherished op-shop finds!

The denims used are markedly different; meaningless without pics, I know, so I'll have to see what I can do... type 1 is very dark and hairy, even after 20 years, while type 2 is more electric blue.  I guess they could be from somewhere other than Cone... I don't know what LVC was doing in the late '90s

This product is no longer available.

Most of the LVC on the UK site is showing the above. However, I left a couple of pieces in my cart and they are still available but not available from the main page! It would appear that Levis have decided to pull most of the LVC stock from Sale, did they make a mistake in including all of the LVC in the BF promotion?

14 minutes ago, cool_hand said:

This product is no longer available.

Most of the LVC on the UK site is showing the above. However, I left a couple of pieces in my cart and they are still available but not available from the main page! It would appear that Levis have decided to pull most of the LVC stock from Sale, did they make a mistake in including all of the LVC in the BF promotion?

I don't think so, it's all still available from the main page with 30% off on the Levi's Germany.

Does Levi's Germany use the same stock? If you order there where does it ship from?

Edited by cool_hand

I think it's just a website glitch, try to open a new tab or window.

Maynard, I've tried that and now it only shows 7 garments available, how many are you seeing?

I can't believe they could have sold out of that much stock in 24 hours - not at 30% discount!

I still have several pairs of 76 in my cart which are available but they are not showing on the main page. Looks deliberate to me.

Edited by cool_hand

I just switched over to Levi's UK and indeed, 7 items for LVC - it's 47 items available in the German shop. Heh. 

My orders are sent from Germany so yeah, probably different warehouse. The above still seems like glitchy behavior, I can't imagine every single LVC T-Shirt etc. having been sold out in addition to every model of 501... 

I noticed last night browsing on my iPhone I was getting 404 errors when clicking on certain items, requesting the desktop site for my browser seemed to fix it but this morning it’s 7 items showing

I found a pair of 1933 yesterday in a BF promotion for £112 - thought that was a fairly good price; if I don't like them I may pick up a pair of the 76 to add to my 76 Mirrors - I'm kind of reluctant to wear the Mirrors as they are the closest thing I have to a conceptual art edition. Anyone here own a pair of Mirrors and have worn them? Is that sacrilege? 

3 hours ago, cool_hand said:

I found a pair of 1933 yesterday in a BF promotion for £112 - thought that was a fairly good price; if I don't like them I may pick up a pair of the 76 to add to my 76 Mirrors - I'm kind of reluctant to wear the Mirrors as they are the closest thing I have to a conceptual art edition. Anyone here own a pair of Mirrors and have worn them? Is that sacrilege? 

a difficult one

a little bit like the debate re: investment in whisky or the drinking of it...

it could be argued that they will only achieve their full potential in the wearing, but something keeping things in their potentiality has benefits...

walter benjamin has a lovely phrase about the collector:

the collector keeps things from the slavery of being useful, "a grand attempt to overcome the wholly irrational character of the object's mere presence at hand through its integration into a new, expressly devised historical system: the collection" - from an object of utility, the collected item is turned into stone [with a final "shudder of being acquired"], within a magic circle of other objects of its kind...  

i'd wear 'em...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

as with whisky  - I buy them with intention to wear/drink them; sometimes they end up not fitting or fall out of fashion. select items are obtained for sole purpose of collecting, but those are a minority. the difficulty lies in achieving a "healthy" balance and to avoid hoarding (fail!).

personally, I find it very satisfying to occasionally break-in/wear or to seriously wear down a "collector's item".

Edited by Foxy2

Does anyone here have experience with sizing on the 1976 LVC denim? I just want to know if I have to size up from my usual size. 

I wear 31 in 66’LVC, 32 in Resolute 710 (biggger thigh)

thanks in advance!

I'm with Foxy. Actually having stuff on the wall or on the cabinet... that's not really 'owning' it, is it? Those things are meant to be used. Hoarding stuff is bad for the soul. Using it is kinda good for the soul.

Also I don't want to die and leave my nipper boxes of weird stuff to sort through. I'm really aiming to cut it down to one watch, two guitars, two war medals from my dad and three boxes of punk singles. Don't want to weigh him down.

So that's why I'll be wearing these from the summer...

front.jpg

@efujobu1 - get the same size as your LVC 66 (31).

@Paul T - beautiful colour, are they the natural indigo 1880s? Recent acquisition?

@werd - they look very nice.

15 hours ago, somatoform said:

If I'm a size 36 in '66 and '76, would I also be a 36 in '54?

from my experience in a 34" waist in all these - yes

I don't drink whiskey! Actually, I don't drink but may take it back up for Christmas!

1933s just arrived. Disappointing TBH. They are TTS. My apprehensions about the fit of the seat/top block has been confirmed - too much fabric - they are wide in the thigh, knee and opening. They might improve after a hot wash. The denim is not as nice as my 1915s, it's a little darker and a kind of mid-weight that is neither here or there; I'm sure it would fade nice enough. The belt loops/suspender buttons combo makes no sense! Don't like the shape of the back pockets and the Arcuates look sloppy. 

I also picked up the Lot 3556 Sack Coat. Fits TTS. It's not really a sack coat, it's more of an overshirt that wouldn't look out of place in a Levi's RED collection. Lovely fabric - 60% Linen/40% Cotton. My only criticism is it's a little sloppy around the hem and I question how practical it is. Going to sleep on it.

@cool_hand my experience with the 33s, from some time back, is they are voluminous and remained so with wear. This is what I was looking for so they worked for me for all kinds of wear - days out, gardening, rolled up on the beach, whatever... but it sounds like they may be going on your returns pile!

@Paul T always good to get different perspectives - I really liked the way my 33s faded. I now recall washing them a lot, though not a deliberate strategy as I just chucked them in after wearing. They're now a quite faded, pale blue hue (posted them a few pages back) and very different from my other jeans. Though sadly too big... I concur with @Maynard Friedman on your pair above - what model are they? 

Edited by MJF9

33's have been sent back.

I've spent quite a bit of time researching actual measurements for 1976 standard RHT. I went for a 36/34 in the Mirror and they are true to tagged size. However I'm seeing different measurements for the RHT! Most are basically indicating they are TTS - however here the 36 / 34 measures 38" across the waist:

http://www.joenet.co.jp/smp/item/levi-26408-0000.html

Is this LVC adjusting their sizing for the Japanese market or is the sizing just a lottery? You'd think the Mirror and standard 76 would use the same pattern?