Levi's Vintage Clothing

They could well be pre-1999 - the mix of details, paper patch, and the more triangular pocket shape means it's possible they're the Capital E reissues that precede LVC, from the early 90s. A photo of the internal tag would tell us.

They're not particularly valuable but they are nice jeans.

Appreciate the input, thanks guys. Inside of the pocket says that they're made of 12,5 ounce indigo denim and they bear the mark XX. according to the print they're made in San Fransisco just like maynard friedman said. The only tag i could find was the one in the leg, must be the one you mean paul, here it is:

bildnm.jpg

Looking like they're November 1995, which I guess would make them the very last Capital E reissue. Officially, LVC was launched in 1996.

The Capital E was a generic 'Big E" jeans that generally looked like a 67-ish jean, which these do... unfortunately we don't have "Search this thread" on superfuture any more for references and my memory isn't working this early, I think we have a good reference on here for the prodcution code shown on the first LVC. But that looks like a stock control 2-horse patch, with the tear-off section - an inaccuracy which I think indicates it's definitely Capital E.

PS, show us the 2-horse patch if you can please!

I saw these jeans being made in Valenca St around 1994 or 1995. As Ive mentioned before here, I remember arguing with the supervisoer abuot some of the features, like why they had a stock-control patch which you'd only find on little e jeans!

And i reckon the fit is great.

Looking like they're November 1995, which I guess would make them the very last Capital E reissue. Officially, LVC was launched in 1996.

The Capital E was a generic 'Big E" jeans that generally looked like a 67-ish jean, which these do... unfortunately we don't have "Search this thread" on superfuture any more for references and my memory isn't working this early, I think we have a good reference on here for the prodcution code shown on the first LVC. But that looks like a stock control 2-horse patch, with the tear-off section - an inaccuracy which I think indicates it's definitely Capital E.

PS, show us the 2-horse patch if you can please!

I saw these jeans being made in Valenca St around 1994 or 1995. As Ive mentioned before here, I remember arguing with the supervisoer abuot some of the features, like why they had a stock-control patch which you'd only find on little e jeans!

And i reckon the fit is great.

thanks for all the information, it's really interesting, feels like i'm observing a detective in work! here's the patch-picture:

bild2tn.jpg

Thanks for posting that, that's the clincher.

To give you the story of those jeans, that range, Capital E, was the very first series of selvage Levi's to be reissued.

Cone, who make Levi's denim, switched to Sulzer projectile looms for higher quality (fewer loom faults) and production around 1981. but even by 1987 or so people realised they missed the old denim with all its faults. Cone started trying to get their old looms up and working again in the late 80s - funnily enough, I spoke to me of those involved last Thursday and he's trying to check the exact date.

Capital E jeans were being produced wildely by 1989 or 1990 - at that time Levi's Japan were also producing reissues (started 1987), while Evis aka eviseu started at the same time, both of them using fabric from Japanese mills, kurabo and kaihara. Lee Europe also had a reissue of the101z. capital E were expensive, came in cardboard boxes with lots of bumph, £100 in the uk. But diehards, including me, didn't like them because they had many details wrong - to some extent they look more like a 90s jean than a reissue of an original. But now, it's those faults that make them look cool, because they are a part of history, sewn in one of Levi's oldest plants, which later, sadly, outrageously, was sold by a Levi's exec who wanted to save money(he left soon afterwards with a huge bonus).

Oh, and i should have said why the patch was the clincher. That patch was introduced around 1972, it was called the stock control patch because retailers could tear off the little strip at the side to record what sizes they'd sold. The capital e were supposed to be a replica of pre1971 jeans, hence that patch shouldn't have been there.

I have a friend owns a new, boxed pair of these, when i have time I'll go see him and do a story on them n my blog, loomstate.co.uk

Since we're on the same topic I have 2 pairs of 1944 pre distressed: 36x34 dark pitchfork and 32x34(not sure of the wash but its lighter and the fades are sick). Looking for 90 each, shipped. Pics and measurements in the supermarket. Message me

is there a secret sale for cultizm or are those guys for 315?

Too big, check out his post on denimbro:

http://denimbro.com.temporary-domain.com/levis-vintage-clothing-lvc_topic47_page24.html

Edit: I must say Paul, that I love your irony re sale items!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

well, there isn't a helluva a lot going on with LVC or sufu right now, so I'm not surprised the only posts are sale notices.

I bought an LVC fair isle sweater on sale from Mr Porter that should be here by Monday, I'll post some pix when i get it.

OMG, is there ever going to another post on here that's not a sale??

Beautiful Triple Pleat! What are your impressions of it and why are you sellng? Enquiring minds need to know.

The size L Triple Pleat fits like XL. After abandoning my search, I unexpectedly stumbled across an unworn one couple weeks ago, but it is way too big. So hoping maybe to trade for a M but I doubt that will happen.

The jacket is great, I like everything I see, but I cannot really make a fair opinion until I have one to wear for a bit. I was surprised at how light the denim is. I think I read somewhere that it is 10oz?

By the way, I linked Loomstate, your article on the finding of the jacket in my supermarket post. If that is not o, I can remove it.

is a pair of rough rinse lvc equivalent to a one-washed/soaked rigid one?

Rough rinse also has a yellow tint to the wash. I am not sure, but I think they also might have a resin finish to help em fade more quickly. They're not as attractive as the regular raw - worth getting if they're on sale, but otherwise I'd pay the extra for the raw.

Paul, should 501 1947 LVC have ® on the Red Tab?

These on Cultizm do not have this. But I can find some, looking originally (with paper labels and so on, perhaps from 2008) LVC Rigid 1947 on e-bay with ® on the Red Tab.