Levi's Vintage Clothing

I dont think LVC shirts runs small. The twill shirts are quite short and wide, and the two pocket sunset shirts are slim-ish and long. The sunset shirts are definitely larger though.

I think that a medium sunset shirt fits slightly larger than a slim fit Ralph Lauren oxford in medium, if that's a good reference point for you. A lot of their shirts are linen-cotton blends, and in my experience linen stretches a lot. Most of their shirts are heavily washed to, so no shrinkage.

I think they size their jeans so that they correspond to how they would have been worn originally. If you look at photos from the 50's, a lot of younger guys are wearing fairly slim fitting jeans. So, instead of sizing down and doing the bath tub soak, you get your normal size but with a slimmer and more flattering fit. I think this has been discussed earlier in this thread.

I dont think LVC shirts runs small. The twill shirts are quite short and wide, and the two pocket sunset shirts are slim-ish and long. The sunset shirts are definitely larger though.

Not all are small, but many are. My XXL sawtooth is 51" in the chest, and if any smaller, I couldn't wear it. The Fair Isle sweater I'd like to get is measured 49.5" in the chest for an XXL. The 50s and 60s tees measure around 48" for an XL or XXL. XL in modern sizing (which is what I wear) fits a guy who's chest actually measures 48", so the garment itself need to measure at least 50", closer to 52".

i'm not an lvc expert at all, so I thought I'd ask here. I just saw a pair of jeans in a local charity shop, I'm pretty certain they're lvc, rather than gold dust, but I know some lvc models are a bigger deal than others. I couldn't take photos, but here are the details I remember:

• 501XX
  • made in USA
  • beef jerky patch
  • redline selvage seams and coin pocket
  • hidden rivets
  • crotch rivet
  • buckle back with proper pins spiking through the cinch
  • single-stitch arcs (no diamond)
  • big E, one sided red tab
  • pretty heavy leg twist (I'd guess unsanforized)
  • what made my heart beat a little less fast- a satin printed care label in the side seam, in loads of languages, with 'Levi Strauss & Co, Europe, Brussels, Belgium', or something like that
  • 34W36L

They're pretty beaten up, and I think might have had a wash originally(?), which has now been worn over. Holes in the knees and at the hems. They're too tight for me to wear practically, and I have little enough shelf space as it is, but at £15 for a good cause should I snap them up and try to ebay them? I gather made in USA lvc are sought-after? any other details people want to know I can run over and check...

thanks for any help!

they're not particularly valuable - sounds like 1937, if they're worn in, worth maybe £30 or £40?(Depending simply on how nice they look), The year of production will be on the tag somewhere, but these are essentially the same as current production. If it says 555 on the button backs, that's a plus, it means it's earlier LVC made in San Francisco.

bill, you of all people know the value of a jean that has had a little extra attention put into the details. especially with a nod toward a "golden era."

at £15 it's almost worth it just for the feeling you got when you saw a pair with those details amongst 400 pairs of the typical thrift-shop jean. hoping that maybe this is that one in a trillion chance of finding a true, intact pre-40s LEVI's draws every person on this thread to thrift shops, yard sales, estat esales and ebay more often than we'd care to admit.

LVC, like tender, is a way to greatly improve that less-than-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gain access to something like those "gone but not forgotten" jeans from back in the day.

my guess is that they are some form of the 20s-30s LVC. there are people far more qualified on this thread to nail down your replica year and year of production.

it's a very common size. sell them for them for couple bucks and pay for someone to do shipping for the trestle shop for a couple hours so you can keep searching for the real deal and all the other billion things you do.

Edited by satchelbmoore

just came back from a levis outlet. asked if they had lvc stuff and they wheeled out a bunch from the back. only one pair of raw ones. but had a pair in every size. might be worth asking around if you have an outlet near you. they were about 100 bucks off. they probably had about 75 pairs total too. various years

Hi everyone, I'm new here, been looking on and off in this forum for a while without registering but felt like it was about time now.

Just got home yesterday with a pair of "new" 501's which I got from my buddies secondhand store here in Sweden. He told me they were very old. So I did some research about it but I have no clue about if they're old or not, not that it matters that much to me, i like them anyway but it would be fun if they had a history.

The top front-button has the digits 555 engraved, Levi's tab with a big E, jeans has no lemon-coloured stitching anywhere and the selvedge is pink. That's how much ive figured out, seems like its a reproduction with the little knowledge i have? I dont know much so might be far off on what it all means.

here is a couple of pics, what do you think about the fit? couldnt get a better pic atm.. oh and excuses if the pics were to big.

lvc2.jpg

lvc3.jpg

lvc1.jpg

555 means they're LVC rather than originals and were made in the Valencia St factory in San Francisco, probably some time between 1999 and the early 2000s (not sure when Valencia St closed down but someone on here should be able to confirm).

They could well be pre-1999 - the mix of details, paper patch, and the more triangular pocket shape means it's possible they're the Capital E reissues that precede LVC, from the early 90s. A photo of the internal tag would tell us.

They're not particularly valuable but they are nice jeans.