Levi's Vintage Clothing

They need to hire or consult with some of the likes of you, that's for sure.

I'm sure i'm not sufficiently qualified for the job. they just need to teach the employees they have to pay a little more attention to detail. it's not very good when every model by a historical brand has something wrong with it.

I'm sure i'm not sufficiently qualified for the job. they just need to teach the employees they have to pay a little more attention to detail. it's not very good when every model by a historical brand has something wrong with it.

^^^^and fit issues!

Those are Paul T Jr 302's right?

How many washes have they had? Fading is killer!

Yes, they are the nipper's. They've had quite a few hand washes, sometimes just of the pockets and waist and just one machine wash. Been worn in alongside the Roy x Cone, very interesting comparison, generally similar, but with definitie differences. Especially the ass-fade! These fade even slower than modern Cone... it does remind me of originals I've worn where the kneees would always split before the real fade comes in.

Ok, I've been holding off writing this because I was hoping I would not have to add another bad review of an LVC product....But, the new 47's I just received from the JCrew sale are nowhere near as good as even the '09 pair I have. The denim is thinner and a different shade of blue, the buttons are not copper shank and look cheap and all the pockets are a less pleasing shape. I'll keep them because I do like the fit, although even that is different to what I was hoping for. All in all, a definite step down in quality and in no way whatsoever worth the full $250 retail price LVC charges.

What about the pocket bag quality? That's something else I've noticed that's gone downhill in recent years.

Ok, I've been holding off writing this because I was hoping I would not have to add another bad review of an LVC product....But, the new 47's I just received from the JCrew sale are nowhere near as good as even the '09 pair I have. The denim is thinner and a different shade of blue, the buttons are not copper shank and look cheap and all the pockets are a less pleasing shape. I'll keep them because I do like the fit, although even that is different to what I was hoping for. All in all, a definite step down in quality and in no way whatsoever worth the full $250 retail price LVC charges.

Ha, pocket bag quality has been shitty for years!

I got some great 47 at the sample sale. But I didn't check the production date, maybe they were old stock. The 47 fabric is one that seems particularly variable. What dates are yours, devilish?

I've looked close at the new 44 (I plan on getting a pair sooner or later), and the denim looked good, to me. There have been changes at Cone, starting one year ago I recall, when they changed some of the dyeing (don't take this as fact, it's rumours). But if there is variation, my guess would be it's simply the cotton. Cotton prices shot up last year, there was also a poor crop due to rain in some areas, so there was definitely less to choose from. I doubt that the weight would change, but the bulk and feel could definitely change with changes in the cotton.

I stepped up this year and bought my first pairs of LVC's. Two pairs of 44's and two pairs of 47's (love the denim of the 44's and love the cut of the 47's). All models were bought off the bay, would somebody here tell me how, show me where or in general help me date them.

Ha, pocket bag quality has been shitty for years!

I got some great 47 at the sample sale. But I didn't check the production date, maybe they were old stock. The 47 fabric is one that seems particularly variable. What dates are yours, devilish?

I've looked close at the new 44 (I plan on getting a pair sooner or later), and the denim looked good, to me. There have been changes at Cone, starting one year ago I recall, when they changed some of the dyeing (don't take this as fact, it's rumours). But if there is variation, my guess would be it's simply the cotton. Cotton prices shot up last year, there was also a poor crop due to rain in some areas, so there was definitely less to choose from. I doubt that the weight would change, but the bulk and feel could definitely change with changes in the cotton.

I'll have to check later what year for sure, I'm pretty sure the first pair is '09 and the jcrew pair is '11. I guess the poor cotton could be the reason for the different feel. The color has gone to the more common 'red blue' that most LVC seem to be, the older pair are the more 'grey cast' blue which has always been what I've liked about 47's.

The buttons, belt loops, pocket shape and pocket bags are all lesser quality and quite frankly feel cheaper than regular old STF Levis.

Unless something drastically changes for the better, this could be my last pair of new LVC. Which is a very sad thing for me because I have always loved the 'ideal' of what a pair of Levis meant. Silly as it may sound it's one of the things that made me move here in the first place 20 years ago.

Silly as it may sound it's one of the things that made me move here in the first place 20 years ago.

I can understand that. That's one of the reasons I loved living in SF... even tho' I was down in the Tenderloin. (I went to see Seven while I was there, and the movie was more romantic and luxurious than my then neighbourhood).

Things can be cyclic... when I was in SF I went down to Valencia St, there were only about four people there for the factory tour; I guess this would have been 1995? I ended up in a standup row with the foreman - they were producing the Capital E there, which was supposed to be authentic, I had a pair of Euro Lees 101Z repros on and remember telling him that they, and Evis (god help me) were doing a better job. But they did improve...

I would move to SF in a second if I had the opportunity...I visited for the first time this summer and fell in love. Even though I have just about completely fallen out of love with LVC, I'm sure very deep down Levi's still has something to do with my attraction to SF.

Which is a very sad thing for me because I have always loved the 'ideal' of what a pair of Levis meant. Silly as it may sound it's one of the things that made me move here in the first place 20 years ago.

The buttons, belt loops, pocket shape and pocket bags are all lesser quality and quite frankly feel cheaper than regular old STF Levis.

I received a 47 from '11 some weeks ago (got them about 50 % off) and I also think that there's a change in the feel and color of the denim compared to the 2010 47s. Interestingly, back in 2010 I also noticed a change compared to my first pair from 2009 which were much bluer in comparison. (So In my view the current run in terms of color is closer to 2009).

However, the 2011 jean felt a bit lighter and not as stiff in my hand. But for me this is not something that bothers me. It's nearly impossible to have the exact same denim from year to year, i guess. As to the quality (esp. buttons, beltloops, construction) I cannot see a drastic loss in quality.

1955.jpg

new 55s. I love the fit. and I love San Francisco. my band played there a couple years ago and it was amazing. we got 3 days off in the city. best 3 days of the whole tour.

41051_156546901025983_100000120237724_508684_3931541_n.jpg

I'm on the right. wearin 1937s.

Edited by erk

Which is a very sad thing for me because I have always loved the 'ideal' of what a pair of Levis meant.

I would say that is probably one the major things Levis has going in its favour. as someone who's been lurking these boards for ages, It's one of the main reasons I've been wanting to get a pair over a Japanese brand. It was just the price that put me off. Managed to find a pair on sale a couple of weeks ago, which was nice.

anyone wanting a slim/tapered LVC 501 should surely try the 1954 501Z XX....

54s / dead t-shirt

54.jpg

54_2.jpg

the zipper on the 54 is thick enough that it doesn't bother me as much as others. I have a weird fear of being stuck in the wilderness during end of days and of course the zip fly decides to break. ironically I have now owned 67s, kill city wire fit, and now 54s all of which are zip fly - just cannot win.

Edited by runormal

^been thinking of getting some 54s myself. how do you feel about them compared to the 67s? I'm not sure how I feel about wearing a jean with zippers again, it's been long time since I've frequently worn one, but I like the look of the 54s otherwise. my 47s are one of my favorite jeans but it'd be nice to have something with more of a taper (also, 54s seem to fit maybe a little slimmer?).

also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how frequently the dry models get restocked--is it just seasonal, or store specific? I need to find the 54s in 32x34 and unionmade seems to be the only shop online that has a stock atm. I would love to go through cutlizm since I like to support them and they're cheaper as well but sadly they've only got 32x36 right now :( if it were any other time actually I'd probably be looking for the 36 so I could have a little cuffing length, but since the 54s are pretty tapered I prefer to wear them shorter.

Edited by Curious_George

^been thinking of getting some 54s myself. how do you feel about them compared to the 67s? I'm not sure how I feel about wearing a jean with zippers again, it's been long time since I've frequently worn one, but I like the look of the 54s otherwise. my 47s are one of my favorite jeans but it'd be nice to have something with more of a taper (also, 54s seem to fit maybe a little slimmer?).

also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how frequently the dry models get restocked--is it just seasonal, or store specific? I need to find the 54s in 32x34 and unionmade seems to be the only shop online that has a stock atm. I would love to go through cutlizm since I like to support them and they're cheaper as well but sadly they've only got 32x36 right now :( if it were any other time actually I'd probably be looking for the 36 so I could have a little cuffing length, but since the 54s are pretty tapered I prefer to wear them shorter.

The 1967 and 1954 are more "modern" cuts. 54s are customized, a bit tighter in the thighs and a slim tapered leg compared to the "original" 55's. The 1967 is sanforized and made from japanese denim.

Edited by dr.house

the city. best 3 days of the whole tour.

41051_156546901025983_100000120237724_508684_3931541_n.jpg

I'm on the right. wearin 1937s.

Hey erk, That thing you're doing with your hand. Is that "that" game? If so, you totally got me.