Levi's Vintage Clothing

How much did the leg shrink up? I got a pair of 36 * 36 today but yet to soak. I could have done with a 34 waist but think (hoped) they'd shrink to a 35 post soak

1947 501, tagged 38x36. Waist currently measures 18" flat exactly. Inseam was ~36.5" raw, and is currently at 34.5". I think if you stick to a cold water, you should be fine with the inseam... The waist is where you might have some trouble. These saw a hot soak, and a hot machine wash, no soap, no spin.

Guest rusholmeruffian

devilish.

do you like the new lvc booklet, which advises how to sort the buckle with a pair of pliers ?

I've decided , as nice as they are, mine will be going back Monday, unless someone wants them for the £129 I paid plus shipping.

Sorry or the late answers but I was asleep already. ^ Booklet is ok but again they give the blanket advice to go 2 inches bigger in waist. Which is not always accurate and can be confusing.

^^ I am not sure, I will measure next time I'm home. Just by the purely unscientific method of trying on they actually feel pretty close to tagged at 33.

Edit: Anyone know which factory is 337, that's what's stamped on the button?

Some pictures from the Self Edge LA party and the Rose Bowl flea market that are Levi's related:

5839887869_70eafc250e_o.jpg

5847638044_0c0385961e_o.jpg

Sansome brought a pair of 1890ish 501s with some parts in incredible good shape. Check out the pocket bag printing.

5847638226_880b0b7a2e_o.jpg

Also an early Levi's shirt with a chest flap and wool patches.

5840434448_6061c9a53f_o.jpg

5839887361_b9640003d4_o.jpg

At the Rose Bowl- a '40s Levi's leather jacket, reversible leather/canvas with the tag sewn into the pocket. Really beautiful shape. I think I've seen this exact jacket on Ebay before.

quick question: are all lvc's washed denim models (including rough rinse) sanforized?

Some of the Japanese LVC, I believe the 33 at least, actually had the washed models made from Sanforized Kaihara fabric, so they could control the movement of the wear patterns. Apparently they programmed the fabric so the legs would twist, but not shrink, with washing. Very clever.

interesting, i dont know why i was under the assumption that prewashed models were sanforized. doesnt using unsanforized denim make it extra hard to figure out sizing and care on those, as we don't really have a clue of the prewash temps or amounts, and therefore of how much shrinkage might be left in them? guess that's just an extra turn off towards washed lvc..

interesting, i dont know why i was under the assumption that prewashed models were sanforized. doesnt using unsanforized denim make it extra hard to figure out sizing and care on those, as we don't really have a clue of the prewash temps or amounts, and therefore of how much shrinkage might be left in them? guess that's just an extra turn off towards washed lvc..

I don't believe any washed LVC has residual shrinkage.

the washed LVC sizing is an even bigger nightmare than raw. some are shrunk down from the tagged size and some are the tagged size. once years ago & not knowing any of this i bought some 33's in my normal stf size because i got them cheap. previous to this all washed LVC i had seen were tagged to their pre-wash size. well these 33's were tagged actual size and were HUGE. i tried soaking them in boiling water and washed them out to a sickly blue color but no shrinkage at all. i sold them off at a huge loss and never bought washed LVC's again no matter how cheap.

I also own a pair of washed 501z's that didnt budge but the wash was simulating a 2 year wear, so no surprise there. But I was thinking here of the recently offered "light rinse" models and such, that potentially could still shrink a bit unless levi's somehow took care of the issue..

^ He was asking $500 (309GBP), which I thought was a very fair price. Maybe he would haggle a bit.

I'm pretty sure Dr_Heech posted auction links to this exact jacket being offered on Ebay last year, but it didn't to my knowledge sell. It or one very much like it was also featured in the Lightning Vintage issue last year.

edit- if it is the same jacket it is about a size 40.

My 1947 arrived from LNCC today - very well packaged

Interesting measurements on the latest models

Tagged 36W * 36L

Actual 36W * 37L - these are not an inch smaller than tagged as before

I'm hoping they shrink a bit in waist as I wear a 34" waist (measured) normally, pleased with the extra length though

Following a 30' handwash cycle in the machine these are now

Waist - 34

Leg - just shy of 35

Following a 30' handwash cycle in the machine these are now

Waist - 34

Leg - just shy of 35

Thx for the info, man, that's the exact size I'd need! Might reconsider a pair of '47's after all.

Just hot soaked my Type I for 30 minutes, drying now, everybody pray for max shrink :P

if you're wanting max treat it like a pair of jeans, button it up, turn it inside out, throw it in the washer on warm or hot, and then toss it in the dryer on medium heat for 10 or 15 minutes. Good luck!

if you're wanting max treat it like a pair of jeans, button it up, turn it inside out, throw it in the washer on warm or hot, and then toss it in the dryer on medium heat for 10 or 15 minutes. Good luck!

Yes, I know, first let's see how it turns out now...and keep on praying, please, I'm an atheist, I need you guys' help on that :P

My 1933 after just over 100 days wear and 3 washes - quite happy with their progress

photo.jpg?t=1308565514

photo2.jpg?t=1308565514

Looking good!

Curious what size you have there, and if you maybe have pre and post soak measurements. Going to be parting with my new 1947 501's and was thinking perhaps going with something different, and the 1933's interest me.

Thanks!