Levi's Vintage Clothing

Quoting myself, what a shame :o

Stefan, I'm unsure about those 505. I don't know why they would have a '67 501' tag. The 505 fabric is less distinctive than other LVC so it's harder to be definitive.

Try comparing your jeans with these from the CUltizm comp. Especially the pocket shape. If your jeans are US, they must be from 2009 - the spring 2010 are made in Turkey.

MIght be worth PM'ing epifreak and asking for photos of the internal tag??

# 48: After a technical delay: here is the start with 67 505 30/32:

start1051209.th.jpg

start2051209.th.jpg

start51209.th.jpg

readytogo.th.jpg

And yours.

These do look reasonably convincing - but the pocket shape is different. I alwyas think of 505 pockets, like the 1947 501, of having distinctive, straight edges, which splay out toward the top. These llook to have a different, rounder shape, much more like the 1944. Is the stitching a totally different colour, much paler, too? ON the 505, I believe I've only ever seen the copper-colored stitching around the pocket edges. On these jeans, I see very narrow margins between the two lines of stitching at the bottom and a curve towards the top, more like the 1944.

Now, we are getting a lot of variation in the pocket stitching on US made LVC recently, on say the 1901 jeans. But Epifreaks jeans are most likely from fall 2009, when we've had weird pocket shapes, and his look like the normal 505 shape.

Together with the internal tag, on balance I'd say these are very good counterfeit. But I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion.

5052q.jpg

^Hey Paul, thanks a lot. Yeah, from these pics they really look a bit weird. Maybe because of the bad pics? Looks like two tone backpocket stitchings e.g...At least the number in the description says 0217. I've asked the seller for some pics of the tag and the patch, maybe that helps. And yeah, it would be great to hear some more references, Epi or runormal maybe?

And I found a closer pic of a 505 from 09:

50567prez.jpg

dont do it,try to sell them and go for a 1901,1915 or 1933 etc...
Wise words.

The current 1901 and the 1915 both have fabulous fabric, as good or better than the 201, and a cut that's much easier to work with.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I'm usually too lazy to sell but I'll try.

I'm not sure how to gage the price. I better do some research.

^

And I found a closer pic of a 505 from 09:

That looks close enough to your pair - obviously whoever was stitching the pockets had an off day, but the thread colour looks the same. For the price you mentioned, if you really need a pair, i would go for it.

That looks close enough to your pair - obviously whoever was stitching the pockets had an off day, but the thread colour looks the same. For the price you mentioned, if you really need a pair, i would go for it.

Hey man, I really don't need another pair :), but the 67's would complement my lil' (but growing) LVC-collection, dunno, I hope the guy send some more pics. Thanks so far, Paul!

House, that looks like a really great pair of jeans. Seriously, if I could have that cut in button fly, it might be a perfect pair. I think you should. :-)

Some cheap (50 euro) 333's to be had right now at Caliroots.com in 36-32 ( from wearing my 34-34' and 36-34's I would say that they are generous in the waist and even more so in the inseam). Beautiful and quite different jeans.

They also have the Donkey Jacket from last season in L for just 100 euro although I've always thought it looked a bit off. Some nicely reduced items from this season too.

Some cheap (50 euro) 333's to be had right now at Caliroots.com in 36-32 ( from wearing my 34-34' and 36-34's I would say that they are generous in the waist and even more so in the inseam). Beautiful and quite different jeans.

They also have the Donkey Jacket from last season in L for just 100 euro although I've always thought it looked a bit off. Some nicely reduced items from this season too.

I have a pair of 333s and they are probably my favorite LVCs. Thats a ridiculous price. If they have your size I would recommend anyone out there to jump on them and they are full cut. If you ware a 38 in most LVCs a 36 in these should work.

A good question.

The Knappaves are essentially the same as the NEvada, except no tool pocket. I asked Lynn Downey and she had no idea why LVC had called them the Knappave. The originals have the calves cut off, to make them a kind of Capri pant.

Do you have an opinion on the thigh pocket? As you've studied the evolution of the cinch, have you discovered whether the pocket was there for a limited time?

I heard from Ralph at Cone that he's going DNA research into the cotton and the indigo of some of the early denim you sent him - can't wait to hear more.

Are you in touch with Lynn? You should be! Look on my facebook friends, you could message her, I'm certain she would love to see your research.

It seem to me that the tool pocket comes into existence around 1876. I have a waistband with a type of cinch strap that would suggest 1876. It seems that the thigh pocket only stays around for 2 or 3 years possibly. The complete tool pocket pair that I had, along with half a dozen waistbands from 1877 to 1878 that i have seen, all have sewn buttons, center patch, denim pocket bags and a watch pocket on the waistband. The patch was small on all tool pocket pieces and full pairs. A small patch is usually a good indication that the pant is from the 1870's.

It seem to me that the tool pocket comes into existence around 1876. I have a waistband with a type of cinch strap that would suggest 1876. It seems that the thigh pocket only stays around for 2 or 3 years possibly. The complete tool pocket pair that I had, along with half a dozen waistbands from 1877 to 1878 that i have seen, all have sewn buttons, center patch, denim pocket bags and a watch pocket on the waistband. The patch was small on all tool pocket pieces and full pairs. A small patch is usually a good indication that the pant is from the 1870's.

Do take a look at the video linked above, Mike - it includes footage of the "oldest Oldest'.

WHich, as we've concluded, probably aren't the oldest oldest.

Do take a look at the video linked above, Mike - it includes footage of the "oldest Oldest'.

WHich, as we've concluded, probably aren't the oldest oldest.

I think you right Paul.

I saw the video, wouldn't it make sense that sewn buttons came first? In all of the 1870's pieces that I've seen, none of them have shank buttons(like the shank buttons on the oldest oldest). It would be neat if you could compare patch size between oldest oldest and the Nevada pant? Nevada pant will have a smaller patch, compared to the oldest oldest.

^The way that reporter handled the Oldest Oldest gave me angina. I'm surprised he wasn't holding a cup of coffee too.

No shit. I was watching him thinking, "Do you have a fucking clue what you are holding?" Would he treat a bentley that way? (Just going off of "worth" alone).

Upcoming season has not hit stores yet. I'm not sure who will be selling LVC here in the states. A reliable stockist was never released for S/S10, although it was available (Context, Blackbird, UnionMade, etc.).

I'm really interested in hearing about how well it sold. I know of at least one shop that wasn't particularly happy with how it was received by customers.

Are there any shops that sell the RAW stuff of AW10?

I wouldn't be surprised. With so many models and sizing variances it's kind of tricky to just walk into a store and pick one out, not to mention most denim heads are only going to pick one and stick with it for a season. Having raw versions of all the denim is a great way to appeal to a broader base so they can pick a fit they love, but I'm sure it doesn't sell.

Upcoming season has not hit stores yet. I'm not sure who will be selling LVC here in the states. A reliable stockist was never released for S/S10, although it was available (Context, Blackbird, UnionMade, etc.).

I'm really interested in hearing about how well it sold. I know of at least one shop that wasn't particularly happy with how it was received by customers.

LVC sold a lot in black bird I know that. Even the super vintage cuts which surprised

Me

No shit. I was watching him thinking, "Do you have a fucking clue what you are holding?" Would he treat a bentley that way? (Just going off of "worth" alone).

So glad,

I thought I was alone in having a mini-nervous breakdown when I saw that clip!

I mean, what if He'd caught it and torn the patch off or something?

Muppet !

You can have 50 bentleys, then scrap 'em, but keep that guy away from the (not so) oldest-oldest.

LVC sold a lot in black bird I know that. Even the super vintage cuts which surprised

Me

This could be due to the second shop they have around the corner, 'The Field Shop'. Where Blackbird is very slick and modern, TFS is old timey, with Filson, RRL, Woolrich, and the like. It's set up and decor are old fashined camp store. Lots of beard and flannel hipster Microsoftees shop there. As a legitimate beard and flannel mechanic, I could only afford to just look around.

That's good to hear. I'm sure sales fluctuated depending on locale.

Unionmade had good luck with the more modern cuts, but they still have a large stack of 1915s. I think that's true of all retailers across the board, though. Cultizm, oki-ni, etc. usually seem to have the older, pre belt-loop models for sale at the end of every season.

Good news for suspender aficionados.

Unionmade had good luck with the more modern cuts, but they still have a large stack of 1915s. I think that's true of all retailers across the board, though. Cultizm, oki-ni, etc. usually seem to have the older, pre belt-loop models for sale at the end of every season.

Good news for suspender aficionados.

Or never in a sale, like Aeroleather.

I noticed they haven't advertised any new stock for a while, the last stuff being S2 09.

The last time I spoke to someone there (when I sent back my 1915's + 17's), they said they were no longer stocking the pre-distressed stuff, and now it looks like the new raw stuff too.

Shame really, as IMO they are the cheapest for raw Lvc in the UK.

Blackbird, UnionMade, Barneys, Brooklyn Denim Company, Atrium, Sharon Segal, Ron Herman, Lizard Lounge, Immogene and WIllie, WCAGA, Steven Alan are some other US accounts if you're in those areas...

I went back to Levi's Vault today to get some things I missed.

Last week I posted pictures of these, labeled as "Nevada type, 1880s".

4798056648_c5780c0c98_o.jpg

Mike, you asked for a picture of the patch stitching, this is the best I could get:

4816780673_44b9377e5d_o.jpg

Looks like a center label. A closeup:

4816780979_93b2207ea0_o.jpg

and a closeup of the left knee, just because I liked the way the denim looked:

4816780707_df257501aa_o.jpg

Also for Mike, a flyer from the paper archive:

4816780937_ed081670f9_o.jpg

4816781013_d52159a28e_b.jpg

4817403948_5509de1b6e_b.jpg

4816800565_b0468d5c25_o.jpg

A detail of the cotton duck popover I missed, a neck opening button. Polished wood?

4816780587_713602f99a_o.jpg

And something from the paper archive that I liked:

4816780767_05eeb880f3_b.jpg

Thanks for those photos, I can't see a date on on that Levi poster. I saw a confirmed catalog from 1901, it said Double xx 25 years the standard. Is that poster really from 1902? I can see the width on that patch photo, but I can't see the height, looks like a part of the pant is missing, it doesn't look like the oldest (smallest) patch size to me. I will be away from my computer for a few days, thanks again for taking those nice photos.