Levi's Vintage Clothing

Sansome1877,

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but on a non-LVC related matter, I saw that you are going to have a book release party at Rising Sun in Pasadena. I may have to make the small trip down that weekend.

I also saw there was some "Dead Grass" reproductions made by Rising Sun. Do you care to elaborate on what those are? Very interesting.

I haven't formerly thanked you for your contributions to sufu. We have been sorely lacking of credible authors on this site. There is another self-proclaimed expert lurking around these parts. You should watch out for him. He tends to throw out a lot of industry connections... Haha. A real name dropper.

Everyone is welcome to come to the party, http://risingsunjeans.com/2010/07/11/eureeka-jeans-of-the-old-west/

I will recreate the Levi cinch strap evolution at the Rising Sun in Pasadena(we are co-branding with them). It's a lot better to see and talk about these 1870's and 80 pieces in person. We are making two types of pants from the late 1870's, A.B. Elfelt Champion overalls and Neustadter Brothers standard pants. The original examples of these two pants will be on display also.

We(my father-in-law Russ and my wife Charla) are really interested in making repros of the non-riveted brands that competed with Levi back in the day. I have a pair from Warehouse that I wear all the time, but we wanted to repro them here in the states. The Rising sun is freaking amazing when it come to period detail.

That other author may be all that you say but I can tell you the pages of his book are dog eared from reading here in our house. Hahaha.

Everyone is welcome to come to the party, http://risingsunjeans.com/2010/07/11/eureeka-jeans-of-the-old-west/

I will recreate the Levi cinch strap evolution at the Rising Sun in Pasadena(we are co-branding with them). It's a lot better to see and talk about these 1870's and 80 pieces in person. We are making two types of pants from the late 1870's, A.B. Elfelt Champion overalls and Neustadter Brothers standard pants. The original examples of these two pants will be on display also.

We(my father-in-law Russ and my wife Charla) are really interested in making repros of the non-riveted brands that competed with Levi back in the day. I have a pair from Warehouse that I wear all the time, but we wanted to repro them here in the states. The Rising sun is freaking amazing when it come to period detail.

That other author may be all that you say but I can tell you the pages of his book are dog eared from reading here in our house. Hahaha.

Alright that just sealed the deal. I am gonna be there. I have to see these things. Any idea on the price of the repros. They won't be cheap i am assuming.

I think I have that book you are talking about. I use it mainly as a coaster for my beer... Oh and it makes a great door stop if you really fold it up and cram it under the door.

I'm pretty sure they did it during the late 1990s/early 2000s on all appropriate models. Maybe it co-incided with them still doing their own jean production, and stopped once they closed down all of their US factories. I'm not sure about that though.

I am sure, though, that they did do it back in the early days of LVC.

PaulT - Roger from VMC and I were talking about hammered down rivets. I couldn't remember LVC ever doing this - but he said he thought they did.

Which is it - and if so, what year/model ?

PaulT - Roger from VMC and I were talking about hammered down rivets. I couldn't remember LVC ever doing this - but he said he thought they did.

Which is it - and if so, what year/model ?

Ah, you insult me and then get all creepy and appeal for information? I know therapy's expensive in your privatised health system but it might be a better investment than all that clothing you post photos of?

They've featured hand-hammered - or it could be hand-pressed, not sure of terminology - on a lot of their jeans. But they always seem to miss it on the 1901 and 1910s models. It's irritating but easliy rectified. Do bear in mind that on those early ones the application was inconsistent, so some of the rivets would have round and some flat tops.

The '1873'and 1890 both have flat-top rivets. I can't remember about the Oldest Oldest or Knappave and my pics aren't big enough to show maybe entertainment! can tell us?

IMG_0910.jpgbutt.jpg

My SC Nevada-influenced jeans had good-looking flat- top rivets, too, even though they had the cinch in a stupid place.

SCcoinpocket.jpg.

HEre's an original 201 rivet:

100_1496.jpg

I was wondering, is the Knappaves the Nevada tool pocket pair? How did it get the name Knappaves?

A good question.

The Knappaves are essentially the same as the NEvada, except no tool pocket. I asked Lynn Downey and she had no idea why LVC had called them the Knappave. The originals have the calves cut off, to make them a kind of Capri pant.

Do you have an opinion on the thigh pocket? As you've studied the evolution of the cinch, have you discovered whether the pocket was there for a limited time?

I heard from Ralph at Cone that he's going DNA research into the cotton and the indigo of some of the early denim you sent him - can't wait to hear more.

Are you in touch with Lynn? You should be! Look on my facebook friends, you could message her, I'm certain she would love to see your research.

The jeans that Cultizm is selling as the Knappave, which is the one I own and have been describing, does have a tool pocket. I looked for the hang tag, but though I seem to have saved one from every other pair of LVC that I own, I couldn't find the one for the "Knappaves". The internal tag labels them as the 1880 in the code 11880.00.02(0116) S1 08. The Oldest Oldest which I do have a hang tag for with that name does not say "Oldest Oldest" on the internal tag which has the code 18700.00.02(0111) 2008L3.

The jeans that Cultizm is selling as the Knappave, which is the one I own and have been describing, does have a tool pocket. I looked for the hang tag, but though I seem to have saved one from every other pair of LVC that I own, I couldn't find the one for the "Knappaves". The internal tag labels them as the 1880 in the code 11880.00.02(0116) S1 08. The Oldest Oldest which I do have a hang tag for with that name does not say "Oldest Oldest" on the internal tag which has the code 18700.00.02(0111) 2008L3.

Yes mine also have the tool pocket and other places selling them also called them Knappave 1880. The 1886s didn't have the tool pocket.

Dejan still has some.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p207_Levi--180-s--Vintage-Clothing-Knappave-1880-s-Jeans-Rigid.html

i thinke there is a new deadstock pair at http://www.marvins-jp.com/

it´s a the first pair if you look "whats new" and dated as a 1922, you still have flat rivets...

it´s funny but this pair looks identicaly to my 33s because i hammered

them rivets flat few month ago, not because of authenticity but because those rivets scratch my hole wooden chairs... so somehow authentic aswell as i think that many people in the old days got that idea...

i thinke there is a new deadstock pair at http://www.marvins-jp.com/

it´s a the first pair if you look "whats new" and dated as a 1922, you still have flat rivets...

it´s funny but this pair looks identicaly to my 33s because i hammered

them rivets flat few month ago, not because of authenticity but because those rivets scratch my hole wooden chairs... so somehow authentic aswell as i think that many people in the old days got that idea...

Man those jeans are like a "pick your poison." They got belt loops, suspender buttons, and a cinch. Wow. Seems like a lot of busy-ness around the waist band.

For those that have flattened their own rivets...how have you done it??

I put the back of the rivet on a piece of bar stock aluminum to keep it from being marred and just hit the round top with a small hammer until I get the effect I want. It often takes up to ten blows depending on the softness of the alloy.

I am not sure if the aluminum bar stock is necessary, but I hammered the first time on a concrete floor and the inside of the rivets became quite distressed. The lettering often leaves an impression on the aluminum which makes me think that if I hammered on a steel anvil, the lettering might be flattened.

It is all super easy and fun though.

Thank you, Maynard Friedman, beautiful_FrEaK, repped.:)

A lot of new stuff....

http://www.oki-ni.com/Brands/Levis-Vintage-Clothing/icat/levis

awesome. thanks for the heads up.

those indigo chinos look awesome, i wish they weren't washed though.

for a second when i saw those 55s I thought they'd changed the pattern to be more modern...until i read customized *sigh of relief*

I dont understand what place the "customized" jeans have in the LVC collection, it seems like its just supposed to make money. that is a seriously modified 501, it looks like the rise has been drastically altered along with the legs. the wash actually looks pretty nice though.

edit: also the prices dont seem to have changed...

I just wish they would quit destroying the pieces before people even get a chance to wear them. I have pretty much gotten to the point where I'm only interested in LVCs rigid jeans. Are people really willing to pay nearly $300 for a half-worn cotton jacket that looks like its sleeves have been chewed on by a dog?

awesome. thanks for the heads up.

those indigo chinos look awesome, i wish they weren't washed though.

for a second when i saw those 55s I thought they'd changed the pattern to be more modern...until i read customized *sigh of relief*

I dont understand what place the "customized" jeans have in the LVC collection, it seems like its just supposed to make money. that is a seriously modified 501, it looks like the rise has been drastically altered along with the legs. the wash actually looks pretty nice though.

edit: also the prices dont seem to have changed...