Levi's Vintage Clothing

Wow! Very nice vintage denim Dom. Very rare for me to see vintage in that mint condition.

BTW Paul, I was told by a fellow friend there is overlaping years between the production big E and small e jeans/denim, especially towards late 60s to end of big E era, circa 1971, if I'm not mistaken. So, from my understanding there are a lot of small e jeans produced before 1971. For example, I saw #6 back-button on 501-A Big E and the same #6 501 typical redline jeans from that era.

My question is, when actually small e jeans start production? Appreciate if you could tell the variants involved?

Another question Paul, is that the same case for yellow tab? It's more confusing for western shirt with some difference label and I would came to that later.

Many thanks.

Hi. This morning I wore my 1954 501Z for the first time. They got their initial hot wash yesterday to be done with all the shrinking. I got a nice leg twist and a warm blue one-wash look. They look alot like my Eternal 811 when I got them, minus mega-slub.

I see very little on sufu about the 1954 501Z, it's not even mentioned in the 501 thread by Paul T (or is it?). Maybe it's "new". So far I've (apart from the zipper) noticed that the arcs are sewn with yellow thread, and the top of the back pockets are sewn with yellow thread, but the rest of the back pocket is done with orange thread. The top thread of the coin/watch-pocket is also yellow while the rest is orange. I read something about LVC Japan having - or was it wishing for - yellow threads?

Fit-wise it's slim (not '47 "slim", I mean a modern slim, like Nudie Slim Jim slim), with a very small leg opening (smaller than the 1967 505) but an anti-fit top. Carrot-ish, but not too much at all, I think. I usually wear modern/modern-fitting jeans and I love the 501Z so far! I usually wear size 31"-32" jeans and I believe I'm a true 32" waist, and I bought a W33" 501Z.

Oipolloi.com says that this is a dry-clean only model due to the zipper, claiming it will bulge after wash. Strange. Mine are FINE after a 60C/140F wash. Looking forward to spending the summer in these.

Hi. This morning I wore my 1954 501Z for the first time. They got their initial hot wash yesterday to be done with all the shrinking. I got a nice leg twist and a warm blue one-wash look. They look alot like my Eternal 811 when I got them, minus mega-slub.

I see very little on sufu about the 1954 501Z, it's not even mentioned in the 501 thread by Paul T (or is it?). Maybe it's "new". So far I've (apart from the zipper) noticed that the arcs are sewn with yellow thread, and the top of the back pockets are sewn with yellow thread, but the rest of the back pocket is done with orange thread. The top thread of the coin/watch-pocket is also yellow while the rest is orange. I read something about LVC Japan having - or was it wishing for - yellow threads?

Fit-wise it's slim (not '47 "slim", I mean a modern slim, like Nudie Slim Jim slim), with a very small leg opening (smaller than the 1967 505) but an anti-fit top. Carrot-ish, but not too much at all, I think. I usually wear modern/modern-fitting jeans and I love the 501Z so far! I usually wear size 31"-32" jeans and I believe I'm a true 32" waist, and I bought a W33" 501Z.

Oipolloi.com says that this is a dry-clean only model due to the zipper, claiming it will bulge after wash. Strange. Mine are FINE after a 60C/140F wash. Looking forward to spending the summer in these.

If they're not sanfortized you are not done with shrinkage yet.

why doesn't he have any leg twist if they're vintage?

He does. You can see it starting up on the thigh, but the bunched up cuff is keeping the outseam on the left leg from coming around to the front.

I don't mean to be a cynic, but I'm pretty sure that's by design. Jobs may or may not have long been a fan of Levi's but he wears them to high visibility press conferences because he wants people to associate Apple with quintessential American brands. Levi's happens to be a nice choice because everyone recognizes a pair of Levi's plus it's the lowest common denominator(everyone has had a pair) no matter if your rich, poor, or somewhere in between - but with money to buy a new computer and is looking for a brand that speaks directly to you.

I work for a marketing company who has IT clients and we talk about things like this all the time. It may seem contrived but a lot of thought goes into marketing campaigns and high visibility conferences/speeches. Jobs is carefully positioned with the same scrutiny given to the apple logo or the 8 bar IBM logo.

steve jobs with some nice vintage style fades. pretty sure these are lvc... i remember reading somewhere that thats all he wears.

I don't mean to be a cynic, but I'm pretty sure that's by design. Jobs may or may not have long been a fan of Levi's but he wears them to high visibility press conferences because he wants people to associate Apple with quintessential American brands. Levi's happens to be a nice choice because everyone recognizes a pair of Levi's plus it's the lowest common denominator(everyone has had a pair) no matter if your rich, poor, or somewhere in between - but with money to buy a new computer and is looking for a brand that speaks directly to you.

I work for a marketing company who has IT clients and we talk about things like this all the time. It may seem contrived but a lot of thought goes into marketing campaigns and high visibility conferences/speeches. Jobs is carefully positioned with the same scrutiny given to the apple logo or the 8 bar IBM logo.

Interesting insight.

Shameless Plug. Great deal on a 555 507 Type 2 jacket.

Great on point. Thanks man!

Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods all make me think of Nazi germany for some reason. Just too clean and future sleek for me. Maybe its the people standing in lines for them.

Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods all make me think of Nazi germany for some reason. Just too clean and future sleek for me. Maybe its the people standing in lines for them.

About the only way this could be an apt comparison would be to think of the German military, producing better equipment in too small numbers to win the war, versus the United States which, essentially buried the world in a mountain of crap by 1945 (the USA actually accounted for over 50% of the GNP), creating so many weapons, planes, guns, etc, that they just had too much to lose, even if it wasn't technically the best, but rather, just "good enough". But the US fought (and their allies through Lend-Lease) with inferior weapons (the P-40, the Sherman tank, etc), and had enough of them, to overpower the Nazi's (and Japan)

So, by this analogy, you could be saying that you are emotionally bothered by the fact that Apple has a devoted following of people who use better made, future looking products, but you find their market share offensive. Instead, you enjoy the work it takes to weed through the glut of crap in the PC world, which, hand in hand with Microsoft, has flooded the world with their less savy, less user friendly, products.

Or maybe Apple just hates Jews?

Seriously, RNR, can you explain your statement as something more than "When I find myself liking something others like I get uncomfortable?"

Now, beyond all this - I think it's kind of random that Jobs wears LVC, but hey, just because he dresses like a nerdy slob, at least he appreciates some decent denim.

Now, beyond all this - I think it's kind of random that Jobs wears LVC, but hey, just because he dresses like a nerdy slob, at least he appreciates some decent denim.

That's what I think, too. Jobs lives in the San Francisco Area so he probably got aware of Levis premium denim by himself. Also, as the hippie he was trying to be, he always wore raw denim. And why shouldn't he like Levis or New Balance product that are both made in the US? It might be kinda normal. I guess he hates beeing influenced by other people's opinion. ("you should wear this or that"...)