Levi's Vintage Clothing

Airfrog is right, the sizing on the 33 (and the 37) 501 have varied a LOT over recent years, with the earlier ones normally sized bigger. I believe, I'm not certain, there have even been differences between the washed and the raw sizes - some of the washed jeans were made in Europe.

The only safe way is to get your supplier to measure the actual waist size. These are full fitting jeans - wide thighs, for instance - so if the waist is too large they look kinda silly, even if you like an oversized look. Get em right though and they're great looking jeans...

Have you been into Cinch recently, Paul? I went in yesterday for the first time in ages and the new staff seemed more interested in the Thai fakes I was wearing than original levis stuff. The guy was wearing some distressed fake stuff too ... Pretty weird scene. What's the newest collection like in terms of material and authenticity?

ah, you´re right of course! I just remembered the suspender buttons, so I figured the belt loops showed up on the 37s! thats great actually, that mean I can wear my wallet with them.

Meader, isnt the 36 length really long on you? Im 1,93 cm, and while prefering a 36 post soak, I think 36 might be enough if i pulled the inseams a bit when damp..

Belt loops showed up in 1922. So the 20s 201s and the 33 501s have belt loops and suspender buttons. The 37s have the red big E pocket tag, hidden pocket rivets, leather tag (NRA tag is gone), belt loops and all three are cinch backs.

I think that the arcuates on the 33's are wonderful. Together with the rivets it's fantastic. The best looking back-pockets on any jean in my opinion.

Yeah the arcuates on the 33s are really nice.

Arcuates on the 33s

IMG_0404.jpg

Another great arcuate 1886

Arcuate-1.jpg

And maybe my favorite the 1920s 201 (555) single needle!

IMG_8847.jpg

^ last time I was in there (a couple of months ago), they were more interested in my samurai than anything else. The sales assistant almost seemed pissed off that they had a red tab on them :confused:

That's funny... the last time I was in Cinch, the sales assistant was eyeing up my Eternals!

That's funny... the last time I was in Cinch, the sales assistant was eyeing up my Eternals!

Yeah I thought it was a bit weird...it was at the time when all the Levi's stuff was really kicking off-I thought it strange as if you're into quality jeans, you're kinda into them full stop. They started going on about how 'Levi's should of copyrighted redline selvage, as everyone was doing it now'....

A few days ago, Levi's has put out ads in London about "Limited Edition" jeans - "products with roots". Reading the description (http://eu.levi.com/pwr/), I'm not sure what they are actually selling.

Are they basically 501s with the LVC 1947 501 features? Or does it have the LVC (Cone) denim as well?

Has anyone in the EU seen these in shops? I haven't had a chance yet.

Here's a description from the site:

The first pair of denim jeans were introduced by Levi’s® way back in 1873. Ever since this revolutionary emergence we have continued to set the standard for denim. To celebrate this successful longevity we’re bringing you a 21st Century remix of some of our most iconic jeans and tees to date – as worn by rock stars and Hollywood rebels, by activists and fashion icons.

We’re kicking things off with the definitive five pocket jean: the 1947 501® jean. In short supply during the war – when several key features were removed to save metal and fabric – by 1947 the new 501® jean was in huge demand. The Arcuate and original zinc buttons were back; the crotch rivet, cinch back and suspender buttons were gone for good; while belt loops and concealed copper rivets became the standard.

The new limited edition version has all the essential design characteristics of the original 1947 501® jean, but has been lovingly updated.

Availability is limited so check out our Store Finder to see if your nearest store has them in stock.

Oipolloi sells them online for £64.99

1752-d1.jpg

1752-d2.jpg

size waist leg rise thigh knee hem

32"/32" 32.0" 33.0" 8.5" 12.0" 9.0" 11.0"

34"/32" 34.0" 33.0" 9.0" 12.0" 9.0" 11.5"

36"/32" 36.0" 33.0" 9.5" 13.0" 9.5" 11.5"

32"/34" 32.0" 35.0" 8.5" 12.0" 9.0" 11.0"

34"/34" 34.0" 35.0" 9.0" 12.5" 9.0" 11.5"

36"/34" 36.0" 35.0" 9.5" 13.0" 9.5" 11.5"

I don't think they are selvage.

Oipolloi sells them online for £64.99

Cheers.

They're priced about the same as a lot of their other jeans here, so I reckon the quality isn't the same as that of the LVC line.

I wonder if Levi's Europe will follow this up with other classic Levi's cut reproductions with rigid denim (not the good Cone, Kaihara, etc. stuff)

Jooles, went to see these in the brum store. If your wanting anything like LVC quality then you'll find these kak mate. Only eyed them up for a minute but not selvege, denim's really lightweight, cardboard patch and no big e. From what I remeber I'm pretty sure there weren't hidden rivets, might be wrong. Resemble the 47 jean in fit and arcuate only. I only gave them a quick check over though so might have missed something. I'm thinking everybody would be better off paying extra 50 squid and getting LVC.

If your wanting anything like LVC quality then you'll find these kak mate. Only eyed them up for a minute but not selvege, denim's really lightweight, cardboard patch and no big e. From what I remeber I'm pretty sure there weren't hidden rivets, might be wrong. Resemble the 47 jean in fit and arcuate only.

Just as expected... an interesting step by Levi's Europe though. I wonder what prompted them to promote inferior reproductions of jeans they already have in the LVC line. Perhaps trying to lure more buyers into the LVC line? Perhaps eventually adding many more models to the LVC Europe lineup, sort of like LVC Japan?

I bought a pair of LVC 1947 501s yesterday, 36x34 (I'm a 33-34x30). I took a shower with them on, and they didn't shrink much (inseam or waist) so I soaked them in a hot shower for 30 mins today. They didn't shrink much again, so I tossed them in the dryer, and they still haven't shrunk enough (well, a little in the waist I think, but the legs are still way too long--like a 32-33)!

Should I expect these to shrink more? Or should I take them to get hemmed now so that all the whiskering and stuff happens in the right places?

If you washed them in hot water and in the dryer???- Then the shrinking is done for the most part. Maybe three inches bigger in the waist was too much. LVC generally shrinks more in the inseam than the waist, and the waist will always strech out a little with wear. Anyways, You should hem them now.

I bought a pair of LVC 1947 501s yesterday, 36x34 (I'm a 33-34x30). I took a shower with them on, and they didn't shrink much (inseam or waist) so I soaked them in a hot shower for 30 mins today. They didn't shrink much again, so I tossed them in the dryer, and they still haven't shrunk enough (well, a little in the waist I think, but the legs are still way too long--like a 32-33)!

Should I expect these to shrink more? Or should I take them to get hemmed now so that all the whiskering and stuff happens in the right places?

Give em' a 4 hour hot soak.