Levi's Vintage Clothing

Does anyone have any inside scoop on if Levi’s is going to either continue, expand or even discontinue their LVC line?

My own concern is strictly the 1947 501 offerings. I wish they would continue their ‘New Rinse’ rendition and do so with longer (36”) inseams. The ‘Rigid’ options are limited in length and are less predictable after washing, at least in my experience. I have noted it appears the ‘Rinse’ option is sporadically available in Europe, but heck, that’s Europe! Shipping fees alone, plus the inflated LVC upcharge (often ridiculous!) makes that possible transaction less than tempting! Ha!

My fear is they will continue to only offer an extremely limited sizing range and treatment of the 1947-year model reissue, or maybe even quit making it available, altogether.

I remember a few years back they made the 1947 model more wildly available, and NOT as a strictly LVC release, and not so pricey. That was pretty cool and I often lament that I hadn’t grabbed a pair or three when they were out. I wish they would do that once again as that particular cut and fit is my fave, and probably so for a goodly number of folks.

Anyway, just hoping someone has any knowledge of their upcoming LVC plans.

It was marked up at £45 but when I went to pay it came up as £35, plus because I bought all 3 they had one was 50% off so £87.50 for 3.

No idea how these made it to the outlet let alone the clearance rail.

Had the grey sweatshirts for £35 too but I've already got similar Buzz Ricksons and Real McCoy's that are also slightly too small. Had the black hoodie with the 2 separate pockets too.

I’m sure someone here will offer you £45 for one!

Inspired by your discovery, I had some time to kill yesterday so went to my closest outlet (Wembley Park) for the first time in hope but no expectation. There was not a sniff of anything LVC and the 5 minutes or so I spent in there left me feeling horrible and dirty. Never again…! :laugh2:

I don’t think they’re finding more Charlie, I think they bought up a load of Cone denim and are gradually using it for overpriced limited edition releases. 

In truth, how would we even know it’s from Cone if their latest supplier (Kaihara?) is replicating the Cone denim so faithfully? :laugh2:

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I don’t think they’re finding more Charlie, I think they bought up a load of Cone denim and are gradually using it for overpriced limited edition releases. 

In truth, how would we even know it’s from Cone if their latest supplier (Kaihara?) is replicating the Cone denim so faithfully? :laugh2:

Thanks for clarifying Martin, good to know. And it wouldn't matter if it was from cone or not as lvc's 'stitch for stitch and every detail blah blah blah' mantra will mess them up anyways. Take a look at the lack of 'pull' on the bartacked/hidden riveted pocket corner, They instantly look fake/poorly replicated. 

Anyway, what was really so amazing about 1963?

1 hour ago, Dr_Heech said:

Anyway, what was really so amazing about 1963?

Charles de Gaulle vetoed the UK’s entry to the Common Market and the Great Train Robbery occurred. 

Also, @Duke Mantee passed his driving test! :)

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 10/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, generic_guy said:

They are all size 44.

Definitely keeping at least one but will probably sell one or both of the others,TBH I'd be hoping for a bit more than £35 though :)

Great find. Two questions:

what are the pit to pit measurements of these?

do you have any left?

13 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

if I remember correctly in 1963 "every garment guaranteed" disappeared from the leather like

1962 is when Every Garment Guaranteed was removed from the patch. It's only lvc that says it was 1963 when they brought out the 551zxx repros out.

Edited by Dr_Heech

16 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Question for Charlie aka @Dr_Heech - what is your cut-off point for liking LVC garmenture? Would it be anything post-554 or is it more complex than that?

It's not too complex Martin, l think, just a case of discovery, learning and (hopefully) growing.

Yes l loved the Valencia st factory made stuff, despite some inaccuracies and sizing issues, and l loved the 554 and the 643M stuff, even though my 554 55's are a different cut from my 555 55's. But it's around 2004 (wrong patch on 1901's) and 2005 (wrong arcs on 201's) that lvc began to grate on me. I think quality wasn't too bad (they were being made at Taylor Toggs first) but the imo unforgivable detail errors and the increasingly wacky sizing (my sz 36 stf on 201's for my 34 waist measured 39 inches!) just put me off.  A golden opportunity missed for example, was the 1927 501XX (2007). The sizing was still whack (measured similar to my 201's) but they 'forgot' to add the second line of stitching to the top of the back pockets, but again Hey, we'll still send them out for sale. I know Levis doesn't give a hoot and hasn't done for decades but It just seemed like they were more blatantly in your face not giving a shit and l'd had enough by 2007. That year l think, l bought the raw 1880 tool pocket pair year which once l got the sizing sorted (size 32 measured 36.5 ) l was happy with them.l think also from around 2003, l also started acquiring other lvc pieces (shirts/hoodies/tees) but most of it l sent back as they just seemed cheap and shoddy compared to even some of the crappiest TK Maxx finds. When they had a revamp of the lvc line around 2010 l purchased a pair of s501XX which weren't too bad (although now 150 quid) and then it was when l picked up the 1917 and 1915 models l hit a wall. The patch on the 1915's was only half stitched on and the 1917s had a J-Crew rivet on them (?) I thought eff it, no more lvc.

Since then, even though l have still a passing interest in lvc (mostly because of the arcs) - l just can't bring myself to buy a replica that uses poly stitching and (probably) shoddy workmanship. 

Luckily, Warehouse is the new lvc for me: Proper cuts on interesting, accurate models and of course they got the arcs and the cotton stitching to boot.

Hope this helps?

Edited by Dr_Heech

Many thanks Charlie, appreciated. A combination of LVC’s poor QC, inaccurate details, inconsistent sizing and increasing prices on one hand against the increasing availability of well-made Japanese goods, often at cheaper prices on the other. 

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Many thanks Charlie, appreciated. A combination of LVC’s poor QC, inaccurate details, inconsistent sizing and increasing prices on one hand against the increasing availability of well-made Japanese goods, often at cheaper prices on the other. 

It's exactly what happened to me. Discovered a few (unknown to me at the time) Japanese repros via ebay - some Bartack's then some SC47's. And before you could say Roy's, Freewheelers and Conners, l was away and free.

I still enjoy the lvc pieces l have left and my two pairs of 55s are a regular  part of the grand rotation.

Edited by Dr_Heech
To edit obvs