Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 7/30/2020 at 5:30 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Thanks @propellerbeanie - this looks like it may be lower rise and slimmer than the (imho excellent) 1976 model. Interestingly, LVC produced the short-lived 1983 model about 10 years ago but I don’t think it proved to be popular. I’ve no idea how accurate the 1984 model is or what the denim will be like but the cynic in me thinks it might simply be a way for LVC to produce a new, slimmer cut in a modern style (no hidden rivets) to fill a gap in the market.

The 1984 vintage are now on sale. Selvedge or no selvedge - it doesn't say.

Is anyone else feeling the striped velour sweat that’s in the pic with the 84s? Probably not! I’m banking on it ending up in the sale. 

They did it in a grungy brown and green yonks ago. Another missed item on the LVC regrets list. 

Still holding out for the LVC reissue of the very first 501s after standard U.S. production ceased. Oooh! Such well researched and perfectly reproduced outsourced crapiness! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i was planning on up grading my modern 501 stf. I sized true to size at 28 x 30 They’re my favorite fit of denim and they look like this. They fit relatively straight and has a clean silhouette. And they don’t have that weird dent / bunching up in the knees that I used to have problems with. https://imgur.com/a/NVZTJqS 

Does anyone know what lvc would best fit like that? I’ve heard the 1966 should be closest but wanted to hear more thoughts. 

Edited by kennyton

Thank you.

What does appear clear is that the longest leg length is L34 and that L36 has been abandoned. This must limit the number of potential customers.

I have never had less than L36 in Levis stf since 1969 so L34 won't fit me. I have also bought L38 out of choice when available (both pre and during  the life of LVC). 

My current 1937s V2 are L36 and after shrinkage I wouldn't want them any shorter.

I may have long legs but at 5ft 10 inches I am hardly a freak!

Perhaps I am missing something: is an L34 really an L36?

^ Agree with all you’ve said. In my experience, tagged 34 length measures 34” raw, so will shrink down to 31 or 32, which is a bit short for me too (6’).  I prefer 36 length but it seems hard to find. Of course the Cone versions are all hard to find ;-)

On 9/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, kennyton said:

Hi i was planning on up grading my modern 501 stf. I sized true to size at 28 x 30 They’re my favorite fit of denim and they look like this. They fit relatively straight and has a clean silhouette. And they don’t have that weird dent / bunching up in the knees that I used to have problems with. https://imgur.com/a/NVZTJqS 

Does anyone know what lvc would best fit like that? I’ve heard the 1966 should be closest but wanted to hear more thoughts. 

Kinda hard to say by pictures alone. Most of us go by measurements. Start doing your homework, grab a paper tape measure those jeans and start comparing various models in your size. 
 My advice is once you get it narrowed down to a particular model, jump on eBay, and start looking for listings that someone bought raw and have given up on. Essentially reverse engineering finding your size and model. This helps mitigate the pain of buying your first raw pair, shrinking them down only to find out X doesn’t work for you. GL. 

On 9/8/2020 at 12:24 AM, Dry said:

Thank you.

What does appear clear is that the longest leg length is L34 and that L36 has been abandoned. This must limit the number of potential customers.

I have never had less than L36 in Levis stf since 1969 so L34 won't fit me. I have also bought L38 out of choice when available (both pre and during  the life of LVC). 

My current 1937s V2 are L36 and after shrinkage I wouldn't want them any shorter.

I may have long legs but at 5ft 10 inches I am hardly a freak!

Perhaps I am missing something: is an L34 really an L36?

If true, that's unfortunate. I always buy the longest length available at the time of purchase. I like to have extra material for patches.

With those jeans, the dry cleaner might become your closest friend. Just be sure they are dropped off for actual dry cleaning, and not washing. Dry cleaners usually offer both services.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:22 AM, 428CJ said:

If true, that's unfortunate. I always buy the longest length available at the time of purchase. I like to have extra material for patches.

With those jeans, the dry cleaner might become your closest friend. Just be sure they are dropped off for actual dry cleaning, and not washing. Dry cleaners usually offer both services.

Thanks. I'm not going to start dry cleaning. Fortunately I have a good stock of other vintages.

They’re the same, the ‘67 is the 505.

Slimmish cut, sanforized denim, zip fly, made in Turkey (I think). €65 is a great price, I say go for it.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Hello all, I was hoping if any of you LVC enthusiasts have any info/knowledge on the Vintage Levi's Hudson Bay Trucker Jacket? I don't see this jacket being discussed a lot on forums/threads. I have a few inquiries below regarding this jacket that I hope someone from this community will have knowledge of and can answer. Thanks so much in advance!! 

1. Is this an authentic Levi's x Hudson Bay Jacket from the 80's? I know that Levi's did a collaboration with Hudson Bay on a Type III which released a couple years back, but there is no confirmed info on when the vintage version released and how far it dates back. Also, the Levi's label is something that I've never seen before (see image below), which throws me off. 
  2. Is the vintage version an actual collaboration with Hudson Bay or did Levi's just chose a lining that looks identical to the Hudson Bay colored stripes?
  3. This one boggles my mind the most: I noticed that 99% of the vintage versions of this jacket has the 'Levi's' red chest tab cut off. Is there a reason for this?
  4. Any additional knowledge on this jacket, its history, and how to date it will be greatly appreciated. 

5V3fDqe.jpg?1

wRCOtSv.jpg?1

Tg5MW63.jpg?1

Edited by tewsday

They are the real thing. The LVC 67/505 model has been made in Turkey for years (this may have switched to Bulgaria now, I don’t know) and AFAIK were never made in USA. The denim itself is sanforized and I think is Cone although it may be from another mill, someone else may know. These are the 67s that usually retail for approx £150 (they were always cheaper than other LVC models) so this is a very good deal.

Here’s a link to some 1967 505s

They’re not one-washed, they are unwashed but sanforized, a shrinking process involving heat and rollers to reduce the shrinkage once they’re actually washed.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I can’t help you there, I just know they’re slim. If you read @Paul T’s post at the top of this page, he states (with good authority) that all LVC 505 fabric is from the Kaihara mill - this was also the case when LVC were still using Cone fabric for other models. Kaihara has now replaced Cone completely for all LVC models.

Second opinion - for that price you should go for it. 
Pretty sure they are all Kaihara fabric. I had a much loved pair and below is the best picture I can find (which isn’t saying much).  There may be other better photos in this thread - I recall discussing them in depth with Hoggy a couple of years ago on here, but the conversation is a bit one-sided now.  

Like a lot of LVC these show their potential over time and don’t have that initial wow factor some of the Japanese denim has. No bad thing in my book. 

Try to get measurements from the sellers. Even if you find measurements online it’ll likely be a different production run so could be risky. 

4321FA69-0FDF-4931-B556-62F2F17498A2.jpeg.bc9c5f050c5033e116eb3d7e61ae809b.jpeg

Edited by unders

funny, i got a similar pair from an eBay purchase today, same production run. i can tell that these now run true to size, as most recent rigid LVC jeans do.

this is the 1st pair in years. i had worn several pairs over the years and can confirm that the kaihara denim achieved one the best fading results.

btw. my rolling stones avatar shows joe dallesandro wearing original 505s  ;) 

enjoy your new pair.

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim