Levi's Vintage Clothing

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

Yup. Those are the mythical 701.  THey're very interesting. The first Japan reissue Levis (pre-LVC) were 502, I think the 701 came soon after, was issued in a box and they were also exported overseas (maybe just Europe, I saw them in London at the time). I have NO Idea why they were badged as 701. Later they badged them as 702, which would have been a kids' size. They are a kind of fantasy, what might have been repro as no original Levi's had the cinch in that location. They also inspired a lot of early fakes! , I did have lengthy email exchanges with a Levi's Japan founder but he coudnlt' tell me what the inspiration was for this model and why they named it 701. My guess is it's like LVC naming the 1937 501 as the '201,  they wanted to have different lot numbers to differentiate.

If other folk don't know, these predate LVC. There were a few US-made Capital E repros from 1990 on,  and the Levi's Japan, from 1987 on (around the time Evis started up), were entirely separate using only (in the early days) Japanese fabric.

Very interesting snippet of history, from the very beginning of the repro era, nice catch!

Can i use the pix on my loomstate blog please? Then I can refer to this info later.

if you are referring to my pics, no problem man. Good to know info like that!

Cheers mate! They’ve been my go to summer jeans and sweatpants before that. Had them for 13 years so they could have been much more faded if I wasn’t suffering from too many jeans Syndrome.

@andyrcii no idea. As I wrote above ive had them for a while and they where my sweatpants for a few years. It might have been 3-4 years before the first wash so no idea how many days. They’ve been washed pretty frequently though...

I know for some of you guys is it blasphemic,but i bought me a pair of Kaihara denim  501xx  1955.made in ,,europe,, :-)

when the postman gave me the parcel i thought -wow ,nice weight and unpacked i was really surprised about the denim. My first pair was the 37` 201  in 1997 and over the years i bought a lot ,mostly 55er 501 and 201 and this denim reminds me a lot on the early days of LVC !!! Stiff ,slightly hairy and right thickness, i would say real 14 oz .

Jumped in and was a little shocked how perfect fits the waist. Nobody told me how this denim shrinks,so i decided... no risk,no fun. I gave the jean a hot soaking for one hour and this beast shrunk in length only ! Yippieh ! Bought a w 32 l 34 . pre wash waist was 32 " , Front rise 32" ,Lo 8,25 "  ,inseam 34 " ,After wash the front rise is 30 " , inseam shrunk a little under 32 " .The other measurements are the same. Craftmanship and fit and especially the denim are topnotch !. 

I will show some pics tomorrow !

Edited by Topnotcher

1 hour ago, Topnotcher said:

I know for some of you guys is it blasphemic,but i bought me a pair of Kaihara denim  501xx  1955.made in ,,europe,, :-)

when the postman gave me the parcel i thought -wow ,nice weight and unpacked i was really surprised about the denim. My first pair was the 37` 201  in 1997 and over the years i bought a lot ,mostly 55er 501 and 201 and this denim reminds me a lot on the early days of LVC !!! Stiff ,slightly hairy and right thickness, i would say real 14 oz .

Jumped in and was a little shocked how perfect fits the waist. Nobody told me how this denim shrinks,so i decided... no risk,no fun. I gave the jean a hot soaking for one hour and this beast shrunk in length only ! Yippieh ! Bought a w 32 l 34 . pre wash waist was 32 " , Front rise 32" ,Lo 8,25 "  ,inseam 34 " ,After wash the front rise is 30 " , inseam shrunk a little under 32 " .The other measurements are the same. Craftmanship and fit and especially the denim are topnotch !. 

I will show some pics tomorrow !

Sounds very interesting! How are the stitching ? Still poly ?

I think so,all the same like my last cone from 2018.I have to say i shot to fast,after a comparasion the new its not so heavy like my pair from 0297.I thinks it has the same ounces and weight like the pair from 2018 from cone but  slightly rougher .Love it nevertheless.sorry for my mistake.some pics tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Paul T said:

those are nice. Are they LVC or the capitall E series? Do show us the tags and 2-horse label if you can. I like what looks like a loom fault on your left knee.

Not sure what series but still have the waist label. Brought them at Regents street store along with most of the other item in the series at the time there was only Evis, and hadn’t been able to get new salvage Levi’s since the late 70s I had no idea what was going on in Japan at time. Also another pair from American classics on the Kings road.They are a really nice dark indigo and take a long time to break in but worth it in the end. They are nothing like later LVC even 555 ones. And yes that is loom chatter.

3C1926FF-25E3-4425-859A-835F5108037D.jpeg

3CBCC59B-2BB4-4A92-A50D-1EC500472BE4.jpeg

1E04ED74-0EA3-457B-BABE-741C0CCA4EC2.jpeg

8F94B273-B581-4FCD-A4C9-1D1290D22989.jpeg

669D6873-1B55-4737-973D-395AC005F2A1.jpeg

8055D751-1AE1-478D-AA69-D308D40B97E7.jpeg

I have a pair of these exact jeans! They are from the first run of Lvc, judging by the orange waist tag (later one's were salmon pink). They are 551zxx, and a different fit from the 501xx repro.

Made between 1996-98 l reckon.  Can we see the inside tag (white with silver thread)? Or is it missing?

The pairs made in 1996 in particular have the nicest arcs l've ever seen on a post war Lvc repro.

Edited by Dr_Heech
..usual

27 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

I have a pair of these exact jeans! They are from the first run of Lvc, judging by the orange waist tag (later one's were salmon pink). They are 551zxx, and a different fit from the 501xx repro.

Made between 1996-98 l reckon.  Can we see the inside tag (white with silver thread)? Or is it missing?

The pairs made in 1996 in particular have the nicest arcs l've ever seen on a post war Lvc repro.

I normally cut this out so surprised I left it in.

9280A05B-44FB-4ABF-9C3C-AEBDA6E17E4E.jpeg

I'm having a memory failure so help me out please. What was the name of the cheaper 300 series - jeans and jacket I think - that Levi's (originally) and subsequently LVC produced?

Was it something like - 313 for the jacket and 303 for the jeans?

Edited by Maynard Friedman

^Didn't we have this discussion a few months back?

They are the 333 jeans iirc. They (if my memory serves me better than Mayns) were only around from c.1890-1910's, and were a even more of a budget line than the 200 series.

Sansome would know the exact details of the originals, but Lvc only reproduced the jeans.