Levi's Vintage Clothing

I have a similar "the first jean" pair in natural indigo that haven't changed much after however many years... they're nice as they are, though. Must've worn half a dozen other pairs to a threadbare state while they've been getting started...

9d71391346366020.jpg fc7d551346366178.jpg 0fab5f1346366360.jpg 5083981346366493.jpg a05c651346366516.jpg 

better pictures as the sun has come out.

As my Calico miner jeans, I have tried to make them more authentic by deliberately sitting on nice patches of dust/dirt when out walking. I do the gardening in them, I’ve rubbed oil on them.. (not too much) and even a little candle wax to try and get that miners candle staining on them. 

Ha ha ha. Well Now that you mention it, there is this old victorian farmers field near me, all grass and overgrowth now, but recently a digger went through part of the field, and it’s unearthed a lot of cool stuff, like Victorian bottles, marbles, coal or Antracite, pottery... I’ve been stuffing the pockets of these jeans with lumps of black coal. 

and I never put my phone in the front pockets. These jeans are very sublte faders, you only really notice the fading when you look back to when they were new :

247a981346368635.jpg 

I know what you mean. I ended up removing most of it. This involved an iron and kitchen roll. Not because it looked like cum, just because it didn’t look how I wanted it to in the video with the calico jeans, and it has those marks which look like white paint, its miners wax. But the wax they used isn’t really anything like regular candle wax.

ccb8c21346451793.jpg 707b9e1346451801.jpg 

found one of these Rocket City bay meadows sweaters from SS19 collection. I was sorely tempted with this when it came out, I mean come on it has my initials ARC on the front. But £150 I think they were asking, I thought was a little much.

I have to say that the ‘55s are a great cut for me, the perfect amount of rise, thigh room and taper, I wish I’d started wearing them earlier. I really like the denim, it’s light enough for the usual summer temperatures in London (when it’s too hot I’m in shorts anyway) but not as flimsy as say, the lighter ‘37 denim, so substantial enough for winter wear too. I’ll post some photos when there’s progress worth showing, I’m currently only a few weeks in.

I’m glad I have a spare pair too, 2009 vintage!

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Yup. The '55 is my favorite LVC cut that I've tried.

Really like the '44 as well.

'55s have a "stocky" look, and '44s have a "long-n-lean" look. I am right in between the two, so they both work well on me.

This is the pair of 1937 201XXs which I have been breaking in mostly continuous wear since April 2020. No soaks and no washes.

IMG_20200614_0915200.jpg

IMG_20200613_1423185.jpg

IMG_20200613_1424000.jpg

IMG_20200613_1424074.jpg

IMG_20200613_1424302.jpg

Edited by Dry
Replaced poor pic

On 6/12/2020 at 10:05 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

I have to say that the ‘55s are a great cut for me, the perfect amount of rise, thigh room and taper, I wish I’d started wearing them earlier. I really like the denim, it’s light enough for the usual summer temperatures in London (when it’s too hot I’m in shorts anyway) but not as flimsy as say, the lighter ‘37 denim, so substantial enough for winter wear too. I’ll post some photos when there’s progress worth showing, I’m currently only a few weeks in.

I’m glad I have a spare pair too, 2009 vintage!

The 55 have become my favourite too. I wish I had bought these first.. they are so roomy, and bold. everything about them is so wholesome and of the 50's period.  I look at everyone wearing tight tapered jeans and feel sorry for them. 

funny thing is, my first pair of jeans I owned , circa 1989- had the same kind of boxy cut to them. and big cuffs so I could grow into them. 

f1c2631347005611.jpg fe51271347005612.jpg 

Edited by andyrcii

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hurhur said:

The 201s are a 2007 repro I think. Does anyone know what kind of denim is used on the 201 and 701xx? 

Not sure about the 201, l know it was originally made from Japanese denim (on the 1999 and 2005 models) - Paul T would probably be your best bet to ask.

The 701xx are a ladies cut version of the the 501xx but made with soft, sanforized denim that (obvs) doesn't shrink. Think they have only been made in a couple of random seasons.

The 201 are indeed lovely jeans (and fabric). The denim comes from Kurabo. Very hard to wear-in but look great all the way. I have maybe a year's wear on mine and am looking forward to returning to them some day. I am fairly certain the 701, nice jeans also, has fabric from Kaihara for the production runs i know of.

Lady Levi's were Sanforized from the late 30s on but for some reason Levi's would always call them "Pre-shrunk", probably because Sanforized fabric was associated with rivals like Lee and Wrangler. These, and the repros, had pink not red selvage I think.

Those 701, however, look different to me from the ones I know from the Lady Levi's. the cinch is in the wrong place as far as I can see. Can we see the tags?

I know there were some strange, very early 'repro'  701 in the late 80s/early 90s that were actually men's jeans with the wrong tags, they're pictured in the French Gilles l'Hote denim book. They were tagged 701SSX . I think at this early stage people didn't know the 70s was a women's jean. There was a similar Japanese version in the 90s, tagged as a 702. Both had the unusual cinch placement . Would love to see more pix!

Edited by Paul T

My Mrs has a pair of 701's but they're the 50's cut, they are indeed pink selvage, when i bought them they were described by Levi's as having "a tapered cut with a straight leg" Wow! they've got it all thought i...

They were also described as "rigid and pre-shrunk" so i asked Levi's what does 'rigid' mean? should i expect more shrinkage? I never got an intelligible answer. :D

Yup. Those are the mythical 701.  THey're very interesting. The first Japan reissue Levis (pre-LVC) were 502, I think the 701 came soon after, was issued in a box and they were also exported overseas (maybe just Europe, I saw them in London at the time). I have NO Idea why they were badged as 701. Later they badged them as 702, which would have been a kids' size. They are a kind of fantasy, what might have been repro as no original Levi's had the cinch in that location. They also inspired a lot of early fakes! , I did have lengthy email exchanges with a Levi's Japan founder but he coudnlt' tell me what the inspiration was for this model and why they named it 701. My guess is it's like LVC naming the 1937 501 as the '201,  they wanted to have different lot numbers to differentiate.

If other folk don't know, these predate LVC. There were a few US-made Capital E repros from 1990 on,  and the Levi's Japan, from 1987 on (around the time Evis started up), were entirely separate using only (in the early days) Japanese fabric.

Very interesting snippet of history, from the very beginning of the repro era, nice catch!

Can i use the pix on my loomstate blog please? Then I can refer to this info later.

Edited by Paul T