Levi's Vintage Clothing

Nice catch. Kurabo denim which fades slowly but subtly with a real turquoise mid-tone. (Not as slowly as the Cone, though, either type).

I was looking at the chain stitch and thinking how much I like it, even though it's wrong. I need to get my 1880s natrual indigo shortened and was thinking of doing the same. Is that wrong?

Edited by Paul T

Can you post a photo of where the unravelling on the outseam starts? My guess is they were tapered at some point (probably at the same time as they were hemmed, which would be a good explanation for them having an aftermarket hem while still being at their full original length) and the edge of the fabric was left unfinished. You should be able to see a clear point, at the top of the taper, at which there's a cut away from the edge of the fabric.

Or maybe that's just how these were patterned? Anyone know if there's historical precedence for that? Would be really interesting if so. Seems like this might be the case after all, given how high up on the leg the raw edge appears to go. Either way, it's definitely not the selvedge.

I wouldn't worry about the unravelling at the fly; they've left enough allowance there that the rest of the jeans will be in threads long before it becomes an issue. Unfinished edges come with the territory when you buy repros of jeans made before sergers existed.

Edited by julian-wolf

On 5/15/2020 at 9:37 AM, propellerbeanie said:

I can't quite tell from the translated description, but is there a new 1971 being added to the lineup...? Or is it just limited to the five crazily-priced special jeans with the gold flair?

Is this a Japan only release? It says it's made from Cone denim.

So do they all come with gold leaf over the tab and you don't know if you'll receive one of the 5 big 'E' pairs or 496 small 'e' pairs until you get them home and scratch it off? Seems they're a slimmed down pair of the 1966 model with a slightly tapered leg. Not bad for ¥66,000! :laugh2: 

That's what LVC has turned into these days. And Levi's corporate knows that they can sell it, so they don't care.
It's sad, LVC could be the preeminent repro brand with the access to originals and history that they have. Shame.

To really add some va va voom to this the winners of the big E pairs should get a guided tour by Lynn Downey around the Valencia Street plant... oh wait I mean the White Oak plant... oh wait... erm, Bulgaria. 

3 hours ago, Broark said:

That's what LVC has turned into these days. And Levi's corporate knows that they can sell it, so they don't care.
It's sad, LVC could be the preeminent repro brand with the access to originals and history that they have. Shame.

it is a shame that they were unable to recognize the value of the heritage -- never mind repro, they are the real thing. corporate board think, I guess

It’s gimmicky and marketing driven, no doubt. But marketing has never been alien to the brand. Plus, Cone denim, made by Levi’s (anywhere), is pretty hard to find these days.  Maybe not for everyone, but not too surprised the price is high. 

As an ex-lvc fanboy (whatever that is) l can honestly say that it started out well:  The first booklets advertised the fact that that these garments were put together by factory workers, some who had been working for Levis since the 1940's (, 50's and 60's) iirc.

As soon as the Valencia plant shut, it was a slow (gradual at first) decline in quality, despite several 'reboots' (notably 2005, 2010 and 2012) and in a way, it replicated the downturn in garment care quality that happened in the 1980's.

It really IS a shame, as even back before then (early 90's) l envisaged a CSF clone like replica and would happily pay some moola for the right product, but it never happened. It's like they had the golden ticket but sold it all off for profit. Hey, but they're a business after all...

I still have a few pieces for old time's sake that l wear but they dont feel the same way as my og pairs l once owned.  Unfortunately. No. Fortunately, l have invested in Sugarcane, Freewheelers and CSF to fill the void.

..and then there's the rest :dry:

Good points Dr_Heech.  I enjoy my recent LVC jeans, mostly for the fit (and big pockets) and also as a reminder of the 60s jeans my mom would buy and I'd put in a bucket in the backyard to shrink.  I appreciate the historical insights you and others provide.  Maybe I'm going against the grain a little here because I'm old enough to see so many companies lose their way (big time) over time.  Once the first or second generation passes, it's rare to see the original values upheld.  Money and the value of the name usually prevail, sad to say.

There are so many companies that used to be great.  A few examples:  Coach Leather, Abercrombie & Fitch, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers, Montblanc.  I used to go to Peet's Coffee on Vine Street in Berkeley, California in the early 70s.  It was a great place to get a fresh cup of coffee.  Peet's has traded hands several times and isn't what it was -- Alfred Peet is long gone.  But it has retained some respect for its history and still provides a decent product.  But nothing lasts forever.  I'm trying to imagine CSF, Sugarcane, and Freewheelers in 50 or 100 years.