Levi's Vintage Clothing

actually a big e red tab version only was offered raw during the valencia street era. an big e orange tab version was offered in the late 00s, which weren´t  a propper reproduction for at around ´71 there had been only red tab 517s on the market. it could have been that levi´s wanted to appeal the working ranch people rather the fashionable hipsters who wore orange tab 646s 606s etc. hence the red tab was more to connected to the tradition of the 501... but this is just my guessing

this new pair here features all the same details of the very 1st bootjeans, expect the big e tab.

let´s hope these won´t be japan exclusives...

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

pardon me if this has been posted already: lvc '93; it's happening... [want to see the inner labels though to see if they really put lvc branding in there... or whether this is just website management of product... pretty sure elastine wasn't in 90s jeans... ]

https://www.levi.com/GB/en_GB/collections/levis-vintage-clothing/501-93-straight-jeans/p/798300042

don't all rush at once... there seem to be lots of sizes for all...

[makes orslow 'dads jeans' look like masterpiece of craftsmanship...]

[although to be fair it is what the young 'uns are wearing these days...] 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

On 2/1/2020 at 1:00 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

actually a big e red tab version only was offered raw during the valencia street era. an big e orange tab version was offered in the late 00s, which weren´t  a propper reproduction for at around ´71 there had been only red tab 517s on the market. it could have been that levi´s wanted to appeal the working ranch people rather the fashionable hipsters who wore orange tab 646s 606s etc. hence the red tab was more to connected to the tradition of the 501... but this is just my guessing

this new pair here features all the same details of the very 1st bootjeans, expect the big e tab.

let´s hope these won´t be japan exclusives...

When I said the big E 517 was offered for a couple of years, I was talking about the original 517, circa late ‘60s – early ‘70s.

Pretty much unworn Japanese Type 1 picked up from eBay.

Care label suggests 97 as the year of production I'm guessing. Seller listed it as bought from Cinch in the late 90's, unworn and then stored until now. Theres a tiny bit of wear to the cuffs but it feels unsoaked and was a good price so I'm happy with it.

20200207_162851.jpg

20200207_162712.jpg

20200207_162750.jpg

20200207_162731.jpg

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Very nice, it looks mint! did you treat yourself for your birthday? i heard on the radio that you'd turned 80 a couple of days ago..

:D nope, just the standard argyle socks and a box of golf balls for my birthday.

bulg 76s:

11d65b1333747435.jpg 0d17051333747464.jpg

Vs cone 47s

bf8fb41333747469.jpg da45df1333747494.jpg 

Courtesy of kicks79. 

I love the 47s.. I’m going to hold off shrinking them until warmer weather has arrived as I prefer to dry them in the sun as opposed to a hairdryer.. but man I think I have a new favorite pair of jeans. Best raw fit I have had so far.

The raw fit of those 28 waist cone 76s was so tight I couldn’t even tuck a t shirt in. And even after they were too tight, I questioned whether I had made the right decision to return them.

these will be fine... 

the old me would buy jeans from stores and they never have my size half the time. I would buy 30 waist, was usually the smallest size they had, and whats weird with pre shrunk jeans is- I would always still need a belt. 

basically, I love having jeans that actually fit me now.

7 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I know we have our own personal preference re-fit but those 47's would be way too tight for my tastes, they already look a bit snug.

I'm glad you like them tho..

My personal preference is to have the 1947's fit on the slim side -- otherwise they can look clownishly full in the leg. 

The fit on the '47s looks fine. It's not tight. They will be a downsized fit after shrinking, but not unreasonably tight. Just make sure to wash cold and air dry them for the life of the jeans.

those new bulg 1955 pictures are courtesy of a nice chap from the Australian Levi's website. I ended on there by accident. anyway they have this cool "chat to a stylist" feature where you can ask questions. so I asked them if they were going to be getting some new photos on the site because all the pictures are still showing the Cones.. and we like to see what we are buying, right? 

so he tells me he just got in a pair of the new 55s and he sends me this massive PNG file which was too big to put on imagebam (hence the screenshots at different zoom levels)..

by the way.. when shrinking jeans is it best to have them un cuffed, or cuffed? I sit in the bath with them uncuffed, but with the 76's I cuffed them to not get indigo all over the carpet. I don't know if that had any factor in how they shrank.

Edited by andyrcii

13 hours ago, andyrcii said:

Who wants to see the new Bulgarian 1955s?

6447f11333790416.jpg 47a92b1333790417.jpg 0fb37c1333790418.jpg 7f9a2d1333790419.jpg ea67cc1333790420.jpg

So what is the tally now:

1 pair of 1976s

1 pair of 1955s and

1 pair of 1947s?

I am liking the Bulgarian 1937s. The size 32 is mega tight on putting on after washing but loosens up and as its winter I am putting size 34 on top. I also like the Bulgarian 1966s. Size 32 unwashed is snug but I am hoping will loosen up before washing, but no sign yet of loosening up after occasional wear. I have never been caught out by being unable to wear after washing even Size 31 in 1933 and 1955.

Bulgarian 1966s Size 34 are quite loose but not loose enough to wear size 32 underneath. I have had to brush the size 34s to get mud off and they are beginning to get hairy and loosen up. I have got dozens of Cone 1947s and 1955s  including Valencia Street, but if the Bulgarian 1966s turn out nicely might be tempted. 

My large stock of heavier 15.0, 15.5 and 21 oz Fullcounts and 21/23 and 25 oz Ironhearts are out of favour at present, but I occasionally wear my Levis 519 stretch and Replay Ronas Selvedge stretch for that skinny leg look. In hot weather my Fullcount 1904 shorts will come out.

Shirtwise, my nicely faded 14oz Studio d'Artisan shirt needs to go to Denim Doctor to have the collar repaired, but I don't want to part with it (have 3 spares). I keep on having to replace the Mother of Pearl buttons. I can't stop wearing my one Piece of Rock 14 oz caps.

Jackets I love my type I Fullcount but the cotton threads are wearing on the inside. I have 1 spare and 2 type IIs. I wear my non LVC but old Levis fleecy Trucker in winter on top and have a number of Levis Types I, II and III worn and unworn.

Edited by Dry
Error

9 minutes ago, andyrcii said:

those new bulg 1955 pictures are courtesy of a nice chap from the Australian Levi's website. I ended on there by accident. anyway they have this cool "chat to a stylist" feature where you can ask questions. so I asked them if they were going to be getting some new photos on the site because all the pictures are still showing the Cones.. and we like to see what we are buying, right? 

so he tells me he just got in a pair of the new 55s and he sends me this massive PNG file which was too big to put on imagebam (hence the screenshots at different zoom levels)..

by the way.. when shrinking jeans is it best to have them un cuffed, or cuffed? I sit in the bath with them uncuffed, but with the 76's I cuffed them to not get indigo all over the carpet. I don't know if that had any factor in how they shrank.

I buy them small enough to wear unshrunk then wash carefully (cold and lukewarm) in the washing machine before increasing gradually to 40C or 50C. Seldom bothered otherwise with baths, soaking etc but cuff them in the bath.

Edited by Dry