Levi's Vintage Clothing

1 hour ago, bod said:

Deep discounts could also be a sign of a slowing economy.

And possibly LVC fans blew their wad of cash to get ahold of the final White Oak denim so are now stocked up for a few years. 

But I think the warnings are there for a slowing economy as you suggest.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

And possibly LVC fans blew their wad of cash to get ahold of the final White Oak denim so are now stocked up for a few years. 

But I think the warnings are there for a slowing economy as you suggest.

Or lack of interest in a fickle market.

10 hours ago, Dry said:

@Paul T has been quiet while all this speculation about the reason for Levis' 40% discount on much of their UK LVC lines has been going on....Perhaps all but a few select vintages are going to be abandoned? The promotion finishes on 26 January.

40% discounting doesn't necessarily mean that the lines are being discontinued. We've seen heavy discounts on LVC every season for the past couple of years. Like Bod says its more a sign of a slowing economy. Does it hurt the brand, however? I think the answer is yes, as everyone waits until it goes on sale. So the motivation for the brand and the stores to continue to carry the line diminishes. 

Probably just not as much demand for the ones they are making now, and they overproduced. The new ones are probably no better or worse, all things considered. But many LVC people want their M.I.U.S.A. jeans made from White Oak material, and many of those are still out there in good condition or dead stock. Let some years pass, and I'll bet people will wear through their White Oak pairs while the dead stock gets picked over as well, then demand for the new models will return.

LVC 1880s Waist Overalls Natural Indigo Dye - limited to 300 (hand numbered) pairs. These are size 36/34 and have been worn and (cold) washed over 2 years. They lost 4" in the leg over that time but the waist remains the same. Loved the colour and fit on these so I picked up a second pair on Sale - in hindsight, with the demise of Cone I should of grabbed a third.

IMG_2219.thumb.jpeg.7112f2551c2ca2485d56266f711f03bc.jpegIMG_2218.thumb.jpeg.8477062fdb08065ff0aa2c6e512236ac.jpegIMG_2220.thumb.jpeg.f33d12310af2a94ccd89f49bb0920f10.jpeg

Correct.

Back story: https://www.levistrauss.com/2017/09/22/eureka-levis-vintage-clothing-fall-collection-goes-old-west/

“We took the original 1880s xx waist overall to North Carolina where the Cone Mills team studied the yarn count and slub patterns to reproduce the original cloth. The yarns are dyed using natural indigo grown by Stony Creek Colors of Nashville, Tennessee, and the fabric is loom state and has zero treatment after it comes from the loom,” Paul said. The ‘run of the mill’ terms means the fabric is not graded and inspected as thoroughly as today and holds some imperfections that represent the original denim and how it was produced 140 years ago.

Correct, Levi’s started using Cone denim around 1915 so during the 1880s, the denim used by Levi’s would likely have been produced by the Amoskeag Mills in New Hampshire.

Cone recently produced an (apparently) very good limited run reproduction of the natural indigo denim used during the 1880s, which is likely to explain @cool_hands remorse for not getting another pair as this will never be remade (at least by Cone).

10 minutes ago, cool_hand said:

It was a shame they didn't make an edition of the Triple Pleat Blouse in the Natural Indigo - could of been amazing!!

Didn't they? The denim on my TPB looks exactly like the denim on my 1880s...and it fades very quickly, like natural indigo dye does.

1 hour ago, cool_hand said:

LVC 1880s Waist Overalls Natural Indigo Dye - limited to 300 (hand numbered) pairs. These are size 36/34 and have been worn and (cold) washed over 2 years. They lost 4" in the leg over that time but the waist remains the same. Loved the colour and fit on these so I picked up a second pair on Sale - in hindsight, with the demise of Cone I should of grabbed a third.

IMG_2219.thumb.jpeg.7112f2551c2ca2485d56266f711f03bc.jpegIMG_2218.thumb.jpeg.8477062fdb08065ff0aa2c6e512236ac.jpegIMG_2220.thumb.jpeg.f33d12310af2a94ccd89f49bb0920f10.jpeg

If you can fit a 34 waist, I'm considering selling a pair. I was planning on doing it well down the line.

For anyone thinking of picking up any of the discounted Bulgarian made raws in the sale they seem to all run true to size or slightly under in the waist pre soak.  From the selection I ordered in a 36w:

1944 = 17.5 inches

1937 = 17.75 inches

1966 = 18 inches

1976 = 18 inches

Emailed Levi’s regarding the pictures of the the lvc “1937s” they have on their web page.

There’s so much off with them I don’t even know where to start:

A2072D5F-3E52-406E-A06D-0C66502BD05F.png

01E36B7F-B951-4899-BFAB-F1D922BED95F.png
Here're the answer I got:

Karin (Levi's) 

Jan 9, 17:59 CET 

Dear mister Karl,

Thank you for your email on Levi.com,

We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours and finishes of our products that appear at the Website.
 We cannot guarantee that your computer monitor’s display of any colour will be accurate.

With kind regards,

Catharina
Levi’s Consumer Relations Department

Edited by Spiraltoy

12 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

Emailed Levi’s regarding the pictures of the the lvc “1937s” they have on their web page.

There’s so much off with them I don’t even know where to start:

A2072D5F-3E52-406E-A06D-0C66502BD05F.png

01E36B7F-B951-4899-BFAB-F1D922BED95F.png
Here're the answer I got:

Karin (Levi's) 

Jan 9, 17:59 CET 

Dear mister Karl,

Thank you for your email on Levi.com,

We have made every effort to display as accurately as possible the colours and finishes of our products that appear at the Website.
 We cannot guarantee that your computer monitor’s display of any colour will be accurate.

With kind regards,

Catharina
Levi’s Consumer Relations Department

The UK site has different pics: https://www.levi.com/GB/en_GB/promo/levis-vintage-clothing-1937-501-jeans/p/375010015

got my jeans back from the alterations place in town. much better. 

These bulgarian ones are very blue compared to the Cone ones. I remember those ones bled in the bath much more.  they were much stiffer too, like cardboard. 

these have that rigid feel, but more like my sanforized Lee 101z's.

e35a2a1330422243.jpg dc73691330422257.jpg e552f01330422272.jpg 30889a1330422299.jpg 61021a1330422339.jpg 

with the 50% I'm going to get that 60s blue/white casual stripe t shirt. I feel like I should maybe get another pair of jeans as they are half price.. thing is I was thinking of the 1947 or 1955 next, and those aren't budging in price on the uk site. 

Sorry, been doing real world work.

I don't know why there are deep discounts, might well be normal with the economy.

The 1880s natural indigo are the ones I wrote about earlier. Here's the indigo being harvested. The Three Pleat jacket is an identical denim except that it's synthetic-dyed. Can't wait to start on my jeans in the summer (the jacket is looking good, much like the last pix I posted except dirtier). At some point I'll post the latest version of my 1890s, 10 years old now, and starting to look somewhat worn-in.

3-pleat jacket on discount looks very tempting, that looks like it's still the Cone to me???

Yep, those 1937 look like a total botch!

I wonder how all the Kaihara fabric is looking, would love to get updates.

Edited by Paul T

3 hours ago, Dry said:

That’s the same pics mate, I just zoomed in a bit in the ones I posted. annoyingly lvc is still 40% off on the Swedish web page. @Paul T id also likes good closeup comparison of the fabrics. I should buy the ‘44s as I have a pair from Valencia st and one from the last Cone batch already. The sewing differences, details and measurements between two I have are big!

10 hours ago, Jimmy Tarbuck said:

@Spiraltoy Yeah those pictures are nonsense compared to the actual jeans. 

All LVC is 50% off now on the Levis website.

image.jpg

Jimmy, are these in the new denim or Cone?

For all those wondering how the 1937s look in the new denim END have a bunch of product shots:

https://www.endclothing.com/gb/levi-s-vintage-clothing-1937-501-jean-37501-0015.html

levi.com pretty much sold out in main sizes in the 1937 now.

Edited by cool_hand

7 hours ago, andyrcii said:

got my jeans back from the alterations place in town. much better. 

These bulgarian ones are very blue compared to the Cone ones. I remember those ones bled in the bath much more.  they were much stiffer too, like cardboard. 

these have that rigid feel, but more like my sanforized Lee 101z's.

How many inches did the your 1976s shrink in the length?

1 hour ago, cool_hand said:

Jimmy, are these in the new denim or Cone?

New denim mate.

Of my mass order I placed I kept the 1976 and 1966.

1976 in a tagged 34 length started at 33 inches and lost about 3 inches after a good hot soak and a 40 degree machine wash.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Tarbuck said:

New denim mate.

Of my mass order I placed I kept the 1976 and 1966.

1976 in a tagged 34 length started at 33 inches and lost about 3 inches after a good hot soak and a 40 degree machine wash.

what specifically sucked on the new 1936?

I've ordered the 1976 in the new denim today in both a 34 and 36 leg - if I like the denim I will probably keep the 36 based on your shrinkage.

31 minutes ago, cool_hand said:

what specifically sucked on the new 1936?

I've ordered the 1976 in the new denim today in both a 34 and 36 leg - if I like the denim I will probably keep the 36 based on your shrinkage.

That earleir pic had the wrong pockets, with diamonds on the bottom of the arcuates, wrong shape for both pocket and arcuate . Like a Thai fake!

3 hours ago, Paul T said:

That earleir pic had the wrong pockets, with diamonds on the bottom of the arcuates, wrong shape for both pocket and arcuate . Like a Thai fake!

Paul, I don't believe the actual jeans you will receive will look like that earlier pic. If you go onto the website someone who purchased the 1937s has posted a picture of the jeans they received and they don't have that problem with the arcuates. I might be reading this wrong but it appears Jimmy returned his 1937s - just wondering why?

Edited by cool_hand

7 hours ago, andyrcii said:

I forgot to measure them.. but the cone ones lost their cuffs entirely, these have 2 inches of cuff. Both were a 34 leg. 

Thanks. Note sure how tall you are but from that info I'm guessing the Cone lost 4" and the new denim lost 2".

11 hours ago, cool_hand said:

Paul, I don't believe the actual jeans you will receive will look like that earlier pic. If you go onto the website someone who purchased the 1937s has posted a picture of the jeans they received and they don't have that problem with the arcuates. I might be reading this wrong but it appears Jimmy returned his 1937s - just wondering why?

You're right, I should have emphasised that that might simply be the wrong photo etc, just wanted to point out what was wrong in the pic posted.