Levi's Vintage Clothing

13 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

Many thanks for the confirmation @beautiful_FrEaK and @428CJ. This has always been my understanding, but I've noticed that some people think their jeans put on weight after shrinking. Needed to make sure I wasn't going crazy haha

The do put on what we call "weight" in regards to a fabric. It's just that the total weight of the garment does not increase.

I had that pair with the wrong arcuates, bought in 2005 from A Butcher of Distinction. To make matters worse, I mis-sized and they didn’t shrink as much as I hoped so I gave them away to my brother-in-law. His mum lives on Hyde Vale so you may have seen him strolling around in them!

@heyson

Valencia made 1937?

I used to buy +/- 2” on the waist just to nab a pair. They stretched out when tight and cinched up when loose.

Its about the only LVC I would spend the big coin on that the market is seeing these days (post-White Oak).

You are very lucky to even have a chance to buy a pair if they are NOS.

Edited by Pedro

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

@heyson

Valencia made 1937?

I used to buy +/- 2” on the waist just to nab a pair. They stretched out when tight and cinched up when loose.

Its about the only LVC I would spend the big coin on that the market is seeing these days (post-White Oak).

You are very lucky to even have a chance to buy a pair if they are NOS.

Thanks Pedro. What does NOS mean?

N.O.S. = new old stock.

Technically, it means that it's an old product, but it's as it would have appeared brand new on a retailer's shelf.

The condition of N.O.S. is the same as N.W.O.T. items (new without tags). These would be items that were bought, taken home, de-tagged, perhaps tried on once or worn for a few hours, and then shelved and never worn again. The difference is that N.O.S. has all original labels and packaging.

Deadstock is another term for N.O.S.

These three terms get used interchangeably a lot of the time, even though N.O.S./deadstock are not technically the same as N.W.O.T.

I recently picked up a pair of LVC 1947 jeans (Cone Mills, size 36).  The fit is great -- pretty roomy after a warm soak, but they should shrink down to be a comfortable (if not exactly trim) pair of jeans.

I'm considering adding a pair of 1944 and/or 1966.  Any thoughts on whether I should stick with a 36 waist or consider a 34?  My preference is for jeans with a reasonably high rise, generous top block, and reasonably trim waist and legs.

Sorry if this has been asked recently.  I'm working my through this thread but have a ways to go.

14 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

Here's my 1966 501s. I wear and wash these the most out of the LVC pairs that I own. Hope y'all enjoy it! 

I've got pics of my '47s and '76s as well (I don't wear these two anymore). I'll post them later =)

20191123_163612.thumb.jpg.07b8b908ac77079605d023c0de3a186a.jpg

20191123_163625.thumb.jpg.5fc8f54b72237d1d4aa70f772726a0e3.jpg

20191123_163652.thumb.jpg.7d8e42f853b257f632c9648b6a797ab9.jpg

20191123_163707.thumb.jpg.9b3a4c457856b500d0916dd3e0675679.jpg

20191123_163743.thumb.jpg.37b7a7dc621dea1f36c8a9babcd3ca71.jpg

20191123_163812.thumb.jpg.e6946163f9f89c214be838f5fb07302a.jpg

Nice! What is your washing method? Do you throw them in the dryer?

2 hours ago, heyson said:

Nice! What is your washing method? Do you throw them in the dryer?

Yep, I machine wash (with spin cycle) and straight into the dryer afterwards. Depending on what I'm feeling at the time, it could either be a cold or hot wash! Nothing too special, really haha

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

I recently picked up a pair of LVC 1947 jeans (Cone Mills, size 36).  The fit is great -- pretty roomy after a warm soak, but they should shrink down to be a comfortable (if not exactly trim) pair of jeans.

I'm considering adding a pair of 1944 and/or 1966.  Any thoughts on whether I should stick with a 36 waist or consider a 34?  My preference is for jeans with a reasonably high rise, generous top block, and reasonably trim waist and legs.

Sorry if this has been asked recently.  I'm working my through this thread but have a ways to go.

You don't want '66s, then. The are lower on the spectrum of 501 rises. My 36s are only a 12 1/4" rise after a single cold wash. I.e. they will probably settle at 12" once the jeans are completely shrunk. They have a bell shaped top block, and a slight bit more taper than repros of earlier years (except the '54, which is more tapered).

There isn't an LVC that meets your criteria exactly. Anything with a reasonably high rise and generous top block (e.g. most pre-'66 models) isn't going to have a reasonably trim waist and legs. Anything with a generous top block and reasonably trim waist and legs (e.g. '66) isn't going to have a high rise.

I think the '76s will get you the closest. They have the '66-like taper, but IME 1/2 inch more rise (which I would gladly welcome on my '66s). However, be aware that the hips are significantly narrower, and the waistband larger than on '66s. '76s have a very "slim straight" top block.

'44s are a slim straight high rise cut. My 36s have a 14" rise.

I would think that your best bet is a pair of '55s, and then have them tapered by a quality tailor. They will give you the top block (hips, rise, and waist) you want, while giving you ample fabric in the legs to have shaped however you want by a tailor. 

Here's my 1947s... Haven't worn them in years because they're way too small (if I recall, they were quite slim/undersized from the get-go). I had the crotch repaired a while ago and will probably get the knee repaired before giving them to my sister!

20191123_163314.thumb.jpg.8f5d747737774f7be8f29e1552ca7011.jpg

20191123_163331.thumb.jpg.ce9f0372ab8ad0c42114b86bb57a6552.jpg

20191123_163405.thumb.jpg.5241493c890a1b7685496b74cb881323.jpg

20191123_163432.thumb.jpg.48be182bc7c372664d75d0b37c1fe2d3.jpg

20191123_163513.thumb.jpg.8d4f443c16adf4ad16d739ce1bfcc03f.jpg

20191123_163533.thumb.jpg.a596135dc17057462b59db7d1df21231.jpg

Thanks propellerbeanie for pictures of the 1966 and 1947, and also 428CJ for details regarding various models.  I would like to add another pair of LVC in addition to the 1947, though it sounds like I'll have at least one criteria will have to be sacrificed (higher rise, full top block, trim legs).

My recent interest in LVC spurred me to contact a friend who used to work for Levi's.  Tom now owns a small clothing store in northern California but before leaving Levi's he picked up a couple pairs of jeans that were made in the Valencia Street factory.  Here are some pictures.  Please tell us what he has!

Stenzel 1.jpeg

Stenzel 2.jpeg

Stenzel 3.jpeg

Stenzel 4.jpeg

Stenzel 8.jpeg

Stenzel 7.jpeg

Stenzel 6.jpeg

Stenzel 5.jpeg

just have seen this section of rebel without a cause from 1955 and fell in love that beautiful marble denim of james deans openent corey allen, which look almost likea moon wash pair of the 80s.

I wonder if there is a bullet proof method to achieve this effect? probellerbeanies recent shots of his 501s show that just washing doesn´t cause it.

on from minute 1 you have a close up of the pair:

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Thanks propellerbeanie for pictures of the 1966 and 1947, and also 428CJ for details regarding various models.  I would like to add another pair of LVC in addition to the 1947, though it sounds like I'll have at least one criteria will have to be sacrificed (higher rise, full top block, trim legs).

My recent interest in LVC spurred me to contact a friend who used to work for Levi's.  Tom now owns a small clothing store in northern California but before leaving Levi's he picked up a couple pairs of jeans that were made in the Valencia Street factory.  Here are some pictures.  Please tell us what he has!

Stenzel 1.jpeg

Stenzel 2.jpeg

Stenzel 3.jpeg

Stenzel 4.jpeg

Stenzel 8.jpeg

Stenzel 7.jpeg

Stenzel 6.jpeg

Stenzel 5.jpeg

Hi John, 

Sorry for requoting all the photos but that’s a fine haul.

Top pair are 1955s

Jacket is a Type III trucker 

Bottom pair also look like ‘55s from arcs and back pocket shape but can’t quite tell (are they in fact additional photos of the top pair?). Anyway, they were produced in October ‘97.

6 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

just have seen this section of rebel without a cause from 1955 and fell in love that beautiful marble denim of james deans openent corey allen, which look almost likea moon wash pair of the 80s.

my DWC2 IH-888-NT (UHR denim) kinda look like that 

Hi Maynard,

Thanks for the input and information.  The owner of the jeans and jacket (Tom) says it's only one pair of pants.  By the way, they are signed by Bob Haas, but Tom has covered the signature, as we can see.  Tom worked at Levi's for over a decade in various capacities and very much enjoyed his time there.

John

On 11/24/2019 at 1:51 AM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

I wonder if there is a bullet proof method to achieve this effect? probellerbeanies recent shots of his 501s show that just washing doesn´t cause it.

on from minute 1 you have a close up of the pair:

I hate that look. I have passed over many a pair of otherwise cool old jeans because they have it.

If you want it, try machine washing without turning them inside out, but don't pull them from the machine when they are done. Let them sit there all day after the spin cycle so the ugly marbled creases get set in to the fabric. Then put them in a dryer on low heat for a long time, without turning them inside out (no fabric softener sheets, of course). The tumble dryer will abrade the tips of the marbled creases.

@marble madness

i would like to achieve somewhat a double pattern, high contrast fades along with deep combs combined with that marble effect and train tracks.

actually i thinks it´s nice to see, that the stereotype of rigid or at least dark denim worn with cuffs in that era, is somewhat questioned here.

anyway thank you for your advices!

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone wish to comment how the new denim is who actually owns a pair?

I did go and take a quick look a few months ago at Newburgh St. and was not convinced but maybe it's not so bad once worn and washed a couple of times?