Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 1/3/2019 at 2:27 PM, edmond said:

Fit on those looks wow

care to share measurements? And size of the jacket?

ah, imma blushing...

so its a tagged xl (44 on the leather label)

if memory serves: its been soaked and washed at 30c, washed at 30c and then washed again 40c

its literally a square:

[all measurement failures my own etc. in cm. etc.]

shoulder: 50

arm: from shoulder to cuff: 61

arm from pit to cuff: 55/56

pit-to-pit: 61 (63 or more if tension applied - pleats and all that)

length, back: 61

[no raw measurements: sorry - but it def. shrank...]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ushokmwn said:

Levi's announced on IG that they'll soon reveal their SS19.

https://www.instagram.com/levis.vintage.clothing

Will none Cone Jeans be included in this collection or is that still a few seasons off?

I see they are Out-of-Stock on 36W and 38W on the LVCs I want.

Will inventory be replenished during the year? Thanks

-pedro

On 11/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, kicks79 said:

So it seems that I didn't have the whole picture and there will be a whole line up of 501s for next season:

1890, 1915, 1933, 1944, 1947, 1954, 1955, 1966 and 1976 :D 

The 1880 triple pleat blouse, Type 1,2 & 3 denim jacket are also back.

All in cone denim.

From this post, larger sizes should be showing up this season. I believe @kicks79 works at Big Trouble Store in Sydney, which is a stockist of LVC, so I guess he's got a bit of the inside scoop. It was presumed that only the 1947 and 1954 cuts were going to return for the SS19 season, but we should be in luck! I'm not sure if the SS19 lookbook will be able to shed some light if anyone has been able to get theirs hands on one...

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

I see they are Out-of-Stock on 36W and 38W on the LVCs I want.

Will inventory be replenished during the year? Thanks

-pedro

Which cuts are you looking for? I ask because I have size 38 1915's that I haven't even de-tagged yet. I also have 36's in the same cut, and I think they'll fit me better, so I was considering E-Baying the 38's.

1 hour ago, 428CJ said:

Which cuts are you looking for? I ask because I have size 38 1915's that I haven't even de-tagged yet. I also have 36's in the same cut, and I think they'll fit me better, so I was considering E-Baying the 38's.

Hi.

I think I need a 36W in the ‘33 or ‘37.

thanks

Edited by Pedro

35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Hi.

I think I need a 36W in the ‘33 or ‘37.

thanks

OK.

I have a 36 1933, but that's my "keeper" pair.

Good luck. IME, your best bet for lower than normal LVC prices during the year is a Cultizm 20 percent off + free shipping sale.

Not LVC, but F' it IMA post it here anyway... 

Levi's 511 Selvedge, 3+ months wear. 1 cold machine wash when new, 1 hand wash warm wash at 2 weeks due to mud. I really like this pair, but the cut isn't for me. The rise is too low and especially the thighs are too tight. After a wash it takes about 2 weeks for them to stretch enough to be comfortable. These are a step above Levi's standard run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf offerings. Although the denim might be plain and boring to some denim connoisseurs, to me there's something very pleasing and refreshing about it, especially after so much highly engineered JP denim. I'd say it's on the slower side of average to fade. If I could put up with wearing them longer, I think the fades would be great.

The construction, sewing and details are spot on, except for maybe lack of hidden back pocket rivets and a real leather patch. The zipper fly detail on the inside is also well thought out and constructed. Heavy canvas pocket bags. Raised belt loops. Branded rivets. Multi-color threads. Nearly everything is present on this pair that denim-heads wax poetically about on their favorite JP brands. 

One area in particular that Levi's really shows they know what they are doing is with the design, detailing & proportion of the waist band, belt loops and pockets. IMO, EVERY JP brand should take notes. Even though this is by far the lowest rise, tightest pair I've ever worn, the front pockets are by far the best ever. Very, easibly useable. I keep a pocket knife w/ clip in the outer edge of my front pocket, and on EVERY pair of JP jeans I have, it makes the right front pocket useless - I can't get my hand in let alone put anything or take it out. With a wide, thick belt, the left pocket is nearly useless as well, as I can barely get my hand in. Not so w/ these 511's.I can easily get my hand in/out of the right pocket without my knife being in the way. It has to do with: the height of the waist band, which drop the pocket opening a little lower in relation to the belt; the width & shape of the pocket openings in relation to the front two belt loops; the spacing of the front two belt loops is just wide enough to allow for a buckle and keeper without cramping the pocket width. The waist band, belt loops and pockets on these 511 are noticeably different than the STF 501's and are a vast improvement. 

I'd love to see Levi's take this quality level, selvedge denim and details to the 501 and 502 cuts. These exact jeans in a 502, or a 501 w/ slightly more taper than currently offered, would be an ideal every day wear/beater for me. Everything else would be just for fun... 

20190112_114317.thumb.jpg.66e2a825c6904ccef7476b72fdbff954.jpg

20190112_114345.thumb.jpg.328a1e628a95d289768a3d82863492d7.jpg

20190112_114353.thumb.jpg.2298343643191ee732f7bcfc432e3175.jpg

20190112_114401.thumb.jpg.317c14b8d86cbce330641b5582ca8445.jpg

20190112_114335.thumb.jpg.7c60e36488fd7936402e49df98a414e0.jpg

20190112_114419.thumb.jpg.6f392939ae55b7d9cf139417a6677f99.jpg

20190112_114507.thumb.jpg.42c2b2448107b061c5bd31a98e683ec3.jpg20190112_114442.thumb.jpg.c0accfff3f57ce5d627fe4a2d80748e0.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, mpukas said:

Levi's 511 Selvedge, 3+ months wear. 1 cold machine wash when new, 1 hand wash warm wash at 2 weeks due to mud. I really like this pair, but the cut isn't for me. The rise is too low and especially the thighs are too tight. After a wash it takes about 2 weeks for them to stretch enough to be comfortable. These are a step above Levi's standard run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf offerings. Although the denim might be plain and boring to some denim connoisseurs, to me there's something very pleasing and refreshing about it, especially after so much highly engineered JP denim. I'd say it's on the slower side of average to fade. If I could put up with wearing them longer, I think the fades would be great.

The construction, sewing and details are spot on, except for maybe lack of hidden back pocket rivets and a real leather patch. The zipper fly detail on the inside is also well thought out and constructed. Heavy canvas pocket bags. Raised belt loops. Branded rivets. Multi-color threads. Nearly everything is present on this pair that denim-heads wax poetically about on their favorite JP brands. 

One area in particular that Levi's really shows they know what they are doing is with the design, detailing & proportion of the waist band, belt loops and pockets. IMO, EVERY JP brand should take notes. Even though this is by far the lowest rise, tightest pair I've ever worn, the front pockets are by far the best ever. Very, easibly useable. I keep a pocket knife w/ clip in the outer edge of my front pocket, and on EVERY pair of JP jeans I have, it makes the right front pocket useless - I can't get my hand in let alone put anything or take it out. With a wide, thick belt, the left pocket is nearly useless as well, as I can barely get my hand in. Not so w/ these 511's.I can easily get my hand in/out of the right pocket without my knife being in the way. It has to do with: the height of the waist band, which drop the pocket opening a little lower in relation to the belt; the width & shape of the pocket openings in relation to the front two belt loops; the spacing of the front two belt loops is just wide enough to allow for a buckle and keeper without cramping the pocket width. The waist band, belt loops and pockets on these 511 are noticeably different than the STF 501's and are a vast improvement. 

I'd love to see Levi's take this quality level, selvedge denim and details to the 501 and 502 cuts. These exact jeans in a 502, or a 501 w/ slightly more taper than currently offered, would be an ideal every day wear/beater for me. Everything else would be just for fun... 

You would probably like a pair of non-LVC M.I.U.S.A. 501's, that you have tapered to taste. They were blown out at the end of 2016 for only $88 a pair, or something like that. Well worth it, considering that standard crappy STFs list at $60. Not sure if they are still available, but if not, check the usual sources for recent N.O.S. examples (E-Bay, etc.). They were Cone Mills denim, available in double black or single-rinse blue.

Edited by 428CJ

On 1/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, mpukas said:

20190112_114317.thumb.jpg.66e2a825c6904ccef7476b72fdbff954.jpg

20190112_114345.thumb.jpg.328a1e628a95d289768a3d82863492d7.jpg

20190112_114353.thumb.jpg.2298343643191ee732f7bcfc432e3175.jpg

20190112_114401.thumb.jpg.317c14b8d86cbce330641b5582ca8445.jpg

20190112_114335.thumb.jpg.7c60e36488fd7936402e49df98a414e0.jpg

20190112_114419.thumb.jpg.6f392939ae55b7d9cf139417a6677f99.jpg

20190112_114507.thumb.jpg.42c2b2448107b061c5bd31a98e683ec3.jpg20190112_114442.thumb.jpg.c0accfff3f57ce5d627fe4a2d80748e0.jpg

Have had great luck w/ non -LVC Levi’s premium models.  Some made in USA selvedge 501s are as nice as LVC.  Where are those made?

May be the pics, but that sure looks like a leather patch, esp the bottom right corner...

On 1/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, 428CJ said:

You would probably like a pair of non-LVC M.I.U.S.A. 501's, that you have tapered to taste. They were blown out at the end of 2016 for only $88 a pair, or something like that. Well worth it, considering that standard crappy STFs list at $60. Not sure if they are still available, but if not, check the usual sources for recent N.O.S. examples (E-Bay, etc.). They were Cone Mills denim, available in double black or single-rinse blue.

Thanks - I've thought of that and tried to find some, ebay and elsewhere. I've come across some non-LVC M.i.USA, not sure if they were Cone denim or not, but they're not selvedge. 

4 minutes ago, cjfergs said:

Have had great luck w/ non -LVC Levi’s premium models.  Some made in USA selvedge 501s are as nice as LVC.  Where are those made?

May be the pics, but that sure looks like a leather patch, esp the bottom right corner...

I'm not certain, but I think these are non-LVC premium, hence the upgraded materials, details and construction. They retailed for about $130, and I scored them on-sale in the Denver flagship store for $30 (bought a 2nd pair to keep unwashed with tags for my collection). These 511's are made in Turkey. Selvedge denim, but not Cone. The patch doesn't seem quite like leather to me. I have a pair of M.i.Mexico 501 STF made with Cone selvedge denim that have a leather patch. This patch is not like that one - this seems like some sort of synthetic, but I could be wrong. 

On 12/5/2018 at 12:26 PM, Paul T said:

That is a great guide. They did a pretty amazing job of actually sizing each pair correctly and picking out the vibe.

I would resent the fella for looking so cool and handsome in every shot, were it not for the fact that the photo of him in the 1947s reveals he has a strangely warped and deformed right leg.

Paul T,

This is just a really uplifting post and the humor is great. Everytime I read it I laugh.

thanks for the kind words!

realise (confirmation from the other board...) that they were called '1st jeans' when I got them back in '99 [never kept tags back then] - got confused looking over Paul T's blog... as the '1st jeans' released  later changed patch in terms of design and placement [but the patch on these - and the back pocket also - looks pretty damn identical to the 1890 version they make now - apart from the yoke stitching, which is more accurate in recent versions, if I recall my scripture...]

got these at same time as the first version of triple pleat jacket: patch on that had no horses just text... [as, I believe, do the newer versions of the older pre-1890s jeans... ]

also: these are from a time when lvc 36w really did shrink down to a 34... these are significantly smaller than the current 1890 I have now...

and yes, that carpet is an old favorite

and yes please lvc make another version of the 1901 - never got my hands on that - would love a pair now

That is a very good deal, I'd definitely buy a pair if they had my size and I don't really know how the 76 fits.  It's a shame this last season of LVC will be the last using US made Cone Denim, I'm debating purchasing another '47 pair or buying something I don't already own (currently own '47, '54 and '67).  I'm surely open to any recommendations...