Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 12/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

Here's a useful LVC fit guide, courtesy of Aeroleather.

That is a great guide. They did a pretty amazing job of actually sizing each pair correctly and picking out the vibe.

I would resent the fella for looking so cool and handsome in every shot, were it not for the fact that the photo of him in the 1947s reveals he has a strangely warped and deformed right leg.

Edited by Paul T

On 12/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, Paul T said:

That is a great guide. They did a pretty amazing job of actually sizing each pair correctly and picking out the vibe.

I would resent the fella for looking so cool and handsome in every shot, were it not for the fact that the photo of him in the 1947s reveals he has a strangely warped and deformed right leg.

Lol.  I have a paper copy of that guide Paul, and his wonky leg always freaks me out!  In the back shot, his left leg looks crooked, so it must be some funny angle with the pics.  I wonder if they let him keep all those pairs...

6 minutes ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

the 1890s are rather slim fitted in legs and seat compared to the 1880s. the 80s got a tapered waist, measure really wide at the hips. it´s actually from all cinch backed jeans the most unflattering silhouette.

What you are describing matches the little cartoon drawing for the 1890's very well, though.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:26 AM, VivaMarlon said:

the '54 has a higher rise and tapers down below the knee.  

I've been thinking about this. How do they decide where the knee should be? It must be positioned assuming a certain inseam length. The knee will fit differently for somebody who hems them or cuffs them to 30 inches inseam vs somebody at 36 inch inseam.

4 hours ago, i_denim said:

I've been thinking about this. How do they decide where the knee should be? It must be positioned assuming a certain inseam length. The knee will fit differently for somebody who hems them or cuffs them to 30 inches inseam vs somebody at 36 inch inseam.

From what I've seen, a lot of stores/brands generally measure the knee 13" to 14" from the crotch. Having a standard usually causes less confusion. A person's knee is obviously not going to be at the same position for everyone, but the knee measurement is still useful in deducing how straight/tapered a pair of pants is especially if you've been given the thigh and hem measurements.

Also, standardising the knee measurement based on inseam length wouldn't be a good idea because it will most likely confuse/deter people, especially newer customers that are unfamiliar with your measuring procedures. People also wear their jeans differently, e.g., closer to their natural waist as opposed to hanging on the hips, so having the same inseam length as someone else won't mean the knee will be in the same position.

20 minutes ago, i_denim said:

How does Levi's decide what's the cut of the current 501's being sold in their retail stores today? I know it's not a LVC question but I struggle to understand what 501 means in a retail Levi's store,

I don't know how they "decide" it, but I can say based on measurements that my contemporary STFs and OFs have been fairly close to what I would imagine as halfway in between my '66 and 76 cut LVCs. Not as bell shaped in the upper block as '66's, but not as tight hipped as '76's. Modern 501's and 505's are actually a very good fit on me, and they look great in the Rigid sanforized material. Darker than LVCs, and fade plenty quickly and quickly for a "cheap" jean. I have a $19 discount store pair of irregular 505's from within the past two years, and they are one of my best fitting and best looking pairs. I wear them indiscriminately with my LVCs.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

washed the type I again

quite the pigment shedder...

quite the grainy fabric...

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4484.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

001.png

Fit on those looks wow

care to share measurements? And size of the jacket?