Levi's Vintage Clothing

Those cone memorial jeans are interesting. Just picked up a pair of old (2010ish?) Engineered Garments jeans which are also made from 4 different kinds of deadstock Cone denim. From the pics above it looks like they're cut in almost the exact same combo too. Wonder if it's a bite or genuine coincidence....

On 11/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, kicks79 said:

So it seems that I didn't have the whole picture and there will be a whole line up of 501s for next season:

1890, 1915, 1933, 1944, 1947, 1954, 1955, 1966 and 1976 :D 

The 1880 triple pleat blouse, Type 1,2 & 3 denim jacket are also back.

All in cone denim.

Including these tributes to cone mills a 1955 501 and Type 2 jacket made from all the different years of cone denim. 

46016817852_90777b21c3_z.jpg

45342374274_0366d4b177_z.jpg

Not sure what i think about the above though? 

Thanks, kicks!  Where did you get the pics?

14 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

You would think it would (or should) be - the story is that Levi’s only introduced the zip to appease the East coast market - and would the denim have changed between 1954 and 1955? However, you’ll need an expert rather than a Levi’s pettifogger such as myself to confirm. Calling Paul T ...

I'm pretty sure it's a different denim, it definitely looks different in the flesh.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:10 AM, NonJazarenko said:

Any thoughts on the made-in-Italy Shorthorn suede sherpa jacket? I picked one up with a 40% off coupon, though I'm over the barrel on keeping it or sending it back. Fits me perfectly in the shoulders & sleeves, and a bit roomy in the body which I prefer for this type of jacket. Still, it's a big chunk of change. (Picture courtesy of Nordstrom's)

LVCSS.jpg

What size is your Sherpa? Is this a 4-digit pricetag at full price?

That is an awsome jacket.

Edited by Pedro

Hi Pedro--

I got it at 40% off the original price, which is still high-dollar. It's made in Italy and the quality is excellent. Mine is the XL, and though I'm guessing the L would fit me trimmer in the body like the guy in the picture above, it would be too tight across the shoulders. One thing I can't stand with jackets is when I reach for something or I'm driving, and the cuffs go half-way to my elbows. To me, the guy in the picture needs another 1" in the sleeves.

First-world problems..

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

What size is your Sherpa? Is this a 4-digit pricetag at full price?

That is an awsome jacket.

Do you guys not have jackets like that, going for $50 or $80 at the local vintage market? I gave mine, essentially identical, to the charity shop a couple of years back as I was short of shelf space for coats. To my recollection, I see these in just about every town I've ever visited.

When you say you see "jackets like that" in just about every town, it's all relative. A mass-produced Chinese jacket with synthetic/polyester lining would probably work fine and can be had at the Goodwill for cheap. If you find Levi's Shorthorn jackets for $50 at your local vintage market and you are so inclined, you might consider buying them up and flipping them on eBay.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, NonJazarenko said:

Any thoughts on the made-in-Italy Shorthorn suede sherpa jacket? I picked one up with a 40% off coupon, though I'm over the barrel on keeping it or sending it back. Fits me perfectly in the shoulders & sleeves, and a bit roomy in the body which I prefer for this type of jacket. Still, it's a big chunk of change. (Picture courtesy of Nordstrom's)

LVCSS.jpg

Both Warehouse and Sugar Cane are making versions of this jacket this season  for more affordable prices. I’ve even seen a few originals on some Japanese vintage Instagrams for cheaper.  

The 1947 arrived and I'm glad I took a 31, here they are compared to a '76 in size 30 with maybe a month of wear, so all stretched out:

SfBIYJKh.jpg

Gonna keep them. With the 20s contest jeans and both the '66 and '76 in my current rotation I'm debating if I should wash them yet, but what the hell, probably gonna throw them in the machine tomorrow.

8 hours ago, NonJazarenko said:

When you say you see "jackets like that" in just about every town, it's all relative. A mass-produced Chinese jacket with synthetic/polyester lining would probably work fine and can be had at the Goodwill for cheap. If you find Levi's Shorthorn jackets for $50 at your local vintage market and you are so inclined, you might consider buying them up and flipping them on eBay.

I mean vintage 1970s US jackets by various manufacturers, a staple of so many vintage stores. They don't go for a lot at all.

7 hours ago, cusswords said:

Both Warehouse and Sugar Cane are making versions of this jacket this season  for more affordable prices. I’ve even seen a few originals on some Japanese vintage Instagrams for cheaper.  

I looked now and I found a cool sherpa/corduroy rancher jacket by Sugar Cane in four different colors, but I couldn't find a suede one. The more I try on this new LVC Shorthorn in front of the mirror, the more I realize that while it fits perfectly in the shoulders, it billows too much in the body. For the $$ I paid--even with the 40% discount--it should be a great fit. I may just send it packing.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:02 PM, erk said:

4. $285 is way too much for a pair of jeans. $170ish is just fine. Makes me wonder if they'd do better to sell them for the old $170 of yesteryear and just sell more jeans. Are there really enough suckers out there to pay the $285 full retail?

5. I shoulda bought a 1947 too. 

+1 I shoulda got a pair of '47's... 

3 hours ago, Paul T said:

I mean vintage 1970s US jackets by various manufacturers, a staple of so many vintage stores. They don't go for a lot at all.

I really did like the genuine suede and I thought it might be a bit more modern slimmer cut. The 70’s shearling type jackets I used to see (its been years since I had local access to a good vintage store) were full cut in the body and I have a similar build as NonJazarinko by his deecription. Shoulders and arm length I need an XL.

I don’t even see this Sherpa in stock now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, NonJazarenko said:

I looked now and I found a cool sherpa/corduroy rancher jacket by Sugar Cane in four different colors, but I couldn't find a suede one. The more I try on this new LVC Shorthorn in front of the mirror, the more I realize that while it fits perfectly in the shoulders, it billows too much in the body. For the $$ I paid--even with the 40% discount--it should be a great fit. I may just send it packing.

Sugar Cane

Warehouse

An original

I much prefer the color of the LVC and the original Levi’s, but I would expect a higher quality product and better value from Sugar Cane or Warehouse.  

Thanks Cusswords--

Those jackets do look great. The only issue is that they don't have any 44/46/XL sizes, and they really aren't any cheaper than the LVC that was 40% off. I still don't get why LVC is calling this a "1970s" jacket: these were made from the late-'50s through the 1960s. I used to spot tons of them--usually in marginal condition--at the Rose Bowl swap meet. Unlike jeans that you can toss in the wash, decades-old suede sherpa jackets that smell moldy/musty (and more often than not with a decided whiff of BO) usually don't clean up all that well in my experience.

Got myself a pair of 47’s from the online store with 30% off.  Was a bit worried as I ordered the same waist size 32 as I have in the 76’s.  Quite a tight fit but stretched to the same size waist after a 20 min hot soak.  Wore them from damp and now they fit really well, having stretched in the waist and hips.  I’m quite slim from lots of fell running and climbing, I think this fit is the one!  Nice denim too.

Edited by Jaylaz73

With all the LVC 501's I have, I've still not gone for the '47's. I always figured I would go for the Sugar Canes instead, but knowing that the LVCs will still be Cone next year has me interested in taking the last shot at the "real deal" without it being a special run or something. I felt the same way about '54's, but might grab a pair of those next season as well.

This 2-tone shirt/jacket looks great with an old pair of the 517 or 646 jeans (may sound sacrilegious here, but I am not much of a 501 man). A perfect fit for me in XL, so I am 1 for 3 this season in LVC purchases with regard to fitment. What surprised me was to see it's made in China, which would bother me if I hadn't gotten the 40% discount.

lev1.jpg

The Sherpa chat reminds me of the Donkey Jacket that LVC released a few years back for crazy money. It prompted me to go onto eBay to pick one up for a few quid. My Dad, who used to work for Sandwell Council (for non-UK members Sandwell is a beautiful area in the centre of England that boasts such tourist hotspots as Smethwick and Tipton), found the whole thing mind boggling. 

So I did 40° for the initial wash, with the highish rise the new '47 have been really tight after buttoning up but have stretched out for a comfortable fit after a few hours. I'm a big fan of the fit and I like the denim, too. Glad I sized up, TTS would have been unwearable.

Uq5qFpdh.jpg

s1PLJBjh.jpg

3iCrYxjh.jpg

Can anyone describe the '54 cut to me, relative to '47's and '55's? 

Based on the written description on the Levi's Website, I would think it would just be a '47 with a zipper...but Levi's also specs it with a 2"smaller leg opening than a '47, which would seem to indicate a more dramatic taper than most 501's...yet they also say it's straight legged in the specs listed. Due to the greater taper, and the lack of specificity in their description of front rise, my suspicions are raised that it might not actually be as high in rise as the '47's and '55's.

According to Levi's:

'47, '54, '55: "Sits at waist" – So I would assume they all have approx. 13" rise in size 36, like my '55's do.

'47, '54, '55: "Regular fit through thigh" – So I would assume they aren't a snug fit when worn TTS

But: '47, '55: "Straight leg opening: 17" and '54: "Straight leg opening: 15"

So is the '54 a high waisted tapered cut? Hard to tell from pix.

I'm into it if it's basically just a '47 cut, but with a zipper and a little bit of taper, but I'm not interested at all if the waist sits lower than a '47 or '55.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

@428CJ got a 54 myself, taper is definitely more than a little bit. Interesting cut, I would personally describe them as a classic tapered cut, with the taper starting at the knee.

Agree with this. I have both 47 and 54, although they’re in one of many boxes in the loft following a recent move so I can’t compare measurements unfortunately. The taper is pretty aggressive and the fit, other than being slim, isn’t really comparable to the 47. Rises are pretty similar from memory. 

Do they still make the 1967 505? That may be more like what you’re after. 

8 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

@428CJ got a 54 myself, taper is definitely more than a little bit. Interesting cut, I would personally describe them as a classic tapered cut, with the taper starting at the knee.

Thanks for the information. It's most appreciated. 

7 hours ago, unders said:

Agree with this. I have both 47 and 54, although they’re in one of many boxes in the loft following a recent move so I can’t compare measurements unfortunately. The taper is pretty aggressive and the fit, other than being slim, isn’t really comparable to the 47. Rises are pretty similar from memory. 

Do they still make the 1967 505? That may be more like what you’re after. 

Thank you for your input.

The 505 reissue is even less suitable for me, as the rise is quite a lot lower. Anything below 12" feels bad to me, and I like 13" and over, in an ideal pair.

I was really just hoping that the '54's were a zipper fly '47, with perhaps just a slight taper. It's okay; it's not like I need another pair of jeans!

I've been wearing '54s a lot lately and just bought a '47 on this last sale.  Compared them very briefly ('47 getting hemmed currently), the '54 has a higher rise and tapers down below the knee.  I'm not 100% sure what is meant when people describe round vs. square top block, but if my assumptions are correct, the '54 feels rounder.

Your pair looks great Cuckoo, that's the fit I'm hoping for though I went TTS so I'm a little worried.  They were difficult to button up but so were the '54.

Edited by VivaMarlon