Levi's Vintage Clothing

25 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

The new rinse is basically their one-wash, but it's made in turkey. Patterns also sometimes differ, but not hugely. I've had the experience to size the same as raw to get it right

Their pre-rinsed stuff seems to be tagged "after" the rinse, while their raw stuff is tagged "before" the rinse.

For example, my single rinse XL Triple Pleat is pretty much identically sized to my Rigid XL Triple Pleat. As such, the Rigid will be smaller in the end, even though they are both XL.

Edited by 428CJ
typo

3 minutes ago, bacton said:

Tried to snag a pair of raw 66s but I noticed it says the fabric is imported. Such a bummer. Was hoping for some cone denim.

Looking at the site it says the whole thing is 'imported', right? I think that's a mistake. Operative word being think. the UK site still says they're Cone.

Look for a white tag/label sewn to inside of the waist band that has "White Oak" on it. There are products, not just Levi's, made with Cone denim, but not from the White Oak mill, and the label will not mention White Oak. 

4 minutes ago, VivaMarlon said:

I'm stuck between the 1947 and 1966, how would you say they compare in terms of fit to the 1954?  The 1966 seems to be a very popular cut on here, don't see much lately on the 1947 though.

I believe the 1954 is a zip fly and on the slimmer side.

1947 i think has a higher rise and are slim throughout in comparison.

The 1966 has a touch shorter rise than the 1947/1955, button fly, and a slightly tapered leg.

If I am incorrect in any of this information I apologize, I am sure someone more experienced will also chime in. 

6 hours ago, bod said:

Would the Lot number have changed if they were making 66’s from new fabric? They’re still listed as 66501-0128 and I have a pair from that Lot which are Cone.

Maybe it's cone denim, assembled in Turkey or somewhere else?

I feel dumb for not seeing the "imported" under the details section before just insta-purchasing. 

I just spoke to someone at Levi's via their chat feature regarding the source of the denim, he said it was Cone Mills denim but not Made in the US, he seemed a little unsure but if that's the case it sounds like they may have sold out of all US made Cone?  If anyone who's made a recent purchase can chime in?

1 hour ago, VivaMarlon said:

I just spoke to someone at Levi's via their chat feature regarding the source of the denim, he said it was Cone Mills denim but not Made in the US, he seemed a little unsure but if that's the case it sounds like they may have sold out of all US made Cone?  If anyone who's made a recent purchase can chime in?

I would be surprised if this year’s LVC is anything but US-made Cone.  The online details are notoriously unreliable.  I’ve been stocking up on my faves since the announcement last Nov, and all 2018s have been MIUSA.  I ordered from this sale as soon as I read the 40% off was available (thanks LVC board!) knowing they run out of popular sizes quickly.  Levi’s has free returns afai remember, so shoot first, ask questions later...

That is to say, with White Oak tags, even.  Pretty sure LVC wouldn’t have even had time to have resource the denim to other mills for current production.  This is for rigid though, the one-rinse and ‘aged’ models have been made in Turkey for a few years now, though I would imagine even that denim is White Oak, just washed and finished overseas for lower labor costs...

Just now, cjfergs said:

I would be surprised if this year’s LVC is anything but US-made Cone.  The online details are notoriously unreliable.  I’ve been stocking up on my faves since the announcement last Nov, and all 2018s have been MIUSA.  I ordered from this sale as soon as I read the 40% off was available (thanks LVC board!) knowing they run out of popular sizes quickly.  Levi’s has free returns afai remember, so shoot first, ask questions later...

9 hours ago, mpukas said:

Look for a white tag/label sewn to inside of the waist band that has "White Oak" on it. There are products, not just Levi's, made with Cone denim, but not from the White Oak mill, and the label will not mention White Oak. 

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.  I'm not seeing a White Oak label.

32 minutes ago, VivaMarlon said:

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.  I'm not seeing a White Oak label.

These are not LVC, regular Levi's STF. See the white tag/label on the inside of the waist band? It says "White Oak". I have a Wrangler jacket that's made with Cone denim, but the tag/label doesn't say "White Oak".  I not certain, but I think Cone has mills making fabric for them outside of the US, maybe Mexico? 

20180831_102834.thumb.jpg.1382c6a5273c1b7733d97e447739f4bf.jpg

erm, OK... take everything I've said with a grain of salt. I just checked my '76 LVC's and there is no tag as on the STF. I suspect LVC's may not have this tag/label. 

9 minutes ago, mpukas said:

These are not LVC, regular Levi's STF. See the white tag/label on the inside of the waist band? It says "White Oak". I have a Wrangler jacket that's made with Cone denim, but the tag/label doesn't say "White Oak".  I not certain, but I think Cone has mills making fabric for them outside of the US, maybe Mexico? 

20180831_102834.thumb.jpg.1382c6a5273c1b7733d97e447739f4bf.jpg

Cone has long had most of its production abroad, notably in China and Mexico.  The White Oak denim has a cachet though, being ‘Made in USA’ and in their historic confines, so especially on something like a premium STF, they advertise that.  On modern LVC selvedge models, it had just been ‘understood’ they were White Oak w/o sewn-on tags to detract from the vintage vibe, but generally noted in the hang tags...

1 hour ago, cjfergs said:

Cone has long had most of its production abroad, notably in China and Mexico.  The White Oak denim has a cachet though, being ‘Made in USA’ and in their historic confines, so especially on something like a premium STF, they advertise that.  On modern LVC selvedge models, it had just been ‘understood’ they were White Oak w/o sewn-on tags to detract from the vintage vibe, but generally noted in the hang tags...

Not being a LVC historical buff what so ever, I'm coming to that conclusion in your well-stated post. Thanks for clarifying. 

On 18/11/2018 at 1:52 PM, jewellben said:

did you measure the inside leg of the 37 before they were washed? I'm thinking the 34 leg may be too short post soak after reading this

I couldn't find any L36s in the 1937s anywhere so I am giving them a miss. Someone said previously that they're not being made to save Cone denim. Waiting for my raw FC 1101 XX EXs 25th revival to pass through customs instead though they lack a crotch rivet.

I just received my 1976s ordered from Levi's UK online store. They are exactly the same as the pair I bought last year. The inner label says "Made in USA of imported materials", which has previously been discussed on here and likely relates to the buttons, rivets, etc. There is a swing tag on the back pocket, which states "Made in USA", "Cone denim, North Carolina", etc. The denim looks exactly the same too. I think its panic over, for now.

Edited by Maynard Friedman
spelling

11 hours ago, kicks79 said:

It's been mentioned a few times. But all current season LVC is white oak cone denim.

Next season will be the end of the white oak mills and they are only doing a 47 and 54 in 501s.

All 66s this season are white oak, so no need to freak out. 

Any idea why that may be? Are 47 and 54 the most sold models?

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Perhaps it's because they're the slimmest models and you can get more pairs out of the limited material available!

They’re not made from the same fabric though are they?!

6 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

that would be my guess; most popular/iconic fit: leading to the biggest order for said fabric?

I’m sorry but I got lost in this convo. Which year is most popular/iconic fit?

‘47 or ‘54 ?

and what is that fit? Maynard said its the “slimmest”?

thanks

Edited by Pedro

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I’m sorry but I got lost in this convo. Which year is most popular/iconic fit?

and what is that fit?

thanks

actually I think I am the one who is lost: @kicks79 says the '47 and '54 are the only cone for next season: I misread '47 and '55 - but Maynard is right: they ['47 /'54] are both straight cut but fairly trim/slim...  

but, I know I should keep my mouth shut when it comes to actual details, lol.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

@Pedro have a look at this LVC 501 guide

Thanks for the link. I have referenced those and they are helpful but the descriptions of the ‘55 (straight leg) and ‘66 (tapered leg) compared to their photos confuse me. I don’t see the “taper”.

I like the ‘55 over the ‘47 (slim fit) but don’t think I have worn the ‘66 since I was in HS...back when I didn’t need more “room” in my fit ;-)

-thanks

But I also wondered which year you guys described as “iconic”? I think I have heard that term used for various years in advertising.