Levi's Vintage Clothing

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Discount Levi's code for Europeans - I know it works in the UK ;) - VCEARLY30

Your chance to get some Cone denim at a healthy (30%) discount.

I wouldn't mind a pair of the 1976 501's, but even with the listed size of 36x36, I think they're actually closer to 36x34 raw, which means you run the risk of ending up with something looking like this post wash...

Flood Pants

On 11/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, 501XX4EVER said:

I wouldn't mind checking out this review of Surfshark VPN and a pair of the 1976 501's, but even with the listed size of 36x36, I think they're actually closer to 36x34 raw, which means you run the risk of ending up with something looking like this post wash...

Flood Pants

Gotta love Milhouse. I had no idea that 36x36 is closer to 36x34 raw. Was it always like that?

Edited by Hogdon

12 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

I wouldn't mind a pair of the 1976 501's, but even with the listed size of 36x36, I think they're actually closer to 36x34 raw, which means you run the risk of ending up with something looking like this post wash...

Flood Pants

FWIW, here are the measurements off of my recent pair of Rigid 36/36 1976 501's.

Size: 36/36

Waist (pulled straight): 37.5"

Front rise: 13.0"

Hips (at halfway point of front rise): 43.5"

Thigh at crotch: 27.5"

Thigh 2" down from crotch: 26.0"

Knee (13" down from crotch): 20.75"

Hem: 17.5"

Inseam: 35.75"

2 hours ago, 428CJ said:

FWIW, here are the measurements off of my recent pair of Rigid 36/36 1976 501's.

Size: 36/36

Waist (pulled straight): 37.5"

Front rise: 13.0"

Hips (at halfway point of front rise): 43.5"

Thigh at crotch: 27.5"

Thigh 2" down from crotch: 26.0"

Knee (13" down from crotch): 20.75"

Hem: 17.5"

Inseam: 35.75"

I thought it was the 1976 501's that had the short inseam, maybe I'm getting confused with the 1937 model???:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Do you have the post wash inseam measurements by any chance?

If they're around the 35"->36" they could work although looking at some of the fit pics they seem very similar cut wise to the 1971 model I have, IE very straight leg.

On 16/11/2018 at 1:21 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Discount Levi's code for Europeans - I know it works in the UK ;) - VCEARLY30

Your chance to get some Cone denim at a healthy (30%) discount.

Just to add (for those on the U.K. site at least) that the triple pleat jacket appears to be in stock although it does not appear within the LVC collection. If you search for ‘1880’ it will appear in the results and all sizes seem to be in stock. I haven’t bought one, I did that last year! ‘Twas another pair of 76s for me and a t-shirt for the boy.

7 hours ago, 501XX4EVER said:

I thought it was the 1976 501's that had the short inseam, maybe I'm getting confused with the 1937 model???:unsure::unsure::unsure:

If they're around the 35"->36" they could work although looking at some of the fit pics they seem very similar cut wise to the 1971 model I have, IE very straight leg.

fwiw

[and my measurements are always shoddy...]

but from my suitcase:

[both tagged 36w]

a 32 inseam on the current '37 runs at 76/77cm fully shrunk

a 34 inseam on the current '76 runs at 85cm [33.5 inches] raw... [and on label suggest 2 inch shrinkage, but salty pinches and all that... quite a lot of alarmed '76 shrinkage narrative some pages back]

good to know the sale is back on... thinking last chance for the '47 which I have always avoided...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Just to add (for those on the U.K. site at least) that the triple pleat jacket appears to be in stock although it does not appear within the LVC collection. If you search for ‘1880’ it will appear in the results and all sizes seem to be in stock. I haven’t bought one, I did that last year! ‘Twas another pair of 76s for me and a t-shirt for the boy.

nice call: indeed: a lot of things are hiding on the uk site i.e. type I and II jkts both not listed under general page, but can be found if searched for...

...and then quite forgot to spam this 1880/1890 tux... [quite wearable...]

the numbers...

lvc 1890 w.36 l.34

raw [cm]

w.47.5

fr.34.5

br.48

hem.23

soaked 30 mins [drip dry then heated on radiator...] and then worn a day

w.44 [immediate shrink] 46 [after wear]

fr.32

br.46

hem.22/22.5

[def slimmer in waist and profile than the '15]

first fit suspended, second on hips; a skinny leg fit with big heart/seat...

lvc 1890 basics 001.png

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

16 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

fwiw

[and my measurements are always shoddy...]

but from my suitcase:

[both tagged 36w]

a 32 inseam on the current '37 runs at 76/77cm fully shrunk

a 34 inseam on the current '76 runs at 85cm [33.5 inches] raw... [and on label suggest 2 inch shrinkage, but salty pinches and all that... quite a lot of alarmed '76 shrinkage narrative some pages back]

good to know the sale is back on... thinking last chance for the '47 which I have always avoided...

did you measure the inside leg of the 37 before they were washed? I'm thinking the 34 leg may be too short post soak after reading this

On 11/17/2018 at 5:41 AM, 501XX4EVER said:

I do not have shrunk measurements, and I likely will not for a few years. I break my LVCs in raw for 90–180 days before shrinking...and the '76's are far from the only jeans in my collection, so 3–6 months actual wear time is much longer than 3–6 months calendar time.

But I can't imagine they'd shrink any more than 3 inches. Probably between 2 and 3 if washed hot.

If you analyze my measurements more closely, you can see that they are not very straight legged at all. They go from a 27.5" thigh (at the crotch) to a 17.5" hem. They just have very narrow hips while having a somewhat wide waist - their most defining characteristic vs. '66's. They are a more tapered silhouette, starting from higher up, starting slimmer up top, while the '66's are more bell shaped, with a drawn in waistband and a much more flared hip before they start tapering.

Edited by 428CJ

4 hours ago, 428CJ said:

I do not have shrunk measurements, and I likely will not for a few years. I break my LVCs in raw for 90–180 days before shrinking...and the '76's are far from the only jeans in my collection, so 3–6 months actual wear time is much longer than 3–6 months calendar time.

Can I ask what advantages you find with that type of break-in schedule?

Does it affect the overall shrinking or is it for fade contrast, etc?

Any insight appreciated.

-pedro

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Can I ask what advantages you find with that type of break-in schedule?

Does it affect the overall shrinking or is it for fade contrast, etc?

Any insight appreciated.

-pedro

I prefer the way they look and feel when worn totally dry. I like the dark, starched, "flat" look, and the more subdued (i.e. less saturated) grayish blue that you have before washing. I try to make that last as long as I can (and sometimes I even heavily starch my jeans after washing them).

It's also about looks in the long run. You get sharper creases and dingier highlights this way. And definitely more contrast IME. I can always wash too much contrast out down the road if I want to. But if I don't build a lot to start, I'll never be able to get it if that's what I want.

It's also about fit. After a long period of wearing jeans, they fit so nicely, because your body has forced them this way and that as needed. Hard to give that up; it's such a nice feel when they've given in all the places they need to give, and stayed in all the places they need to stay. But this is more about using long wash intervals with any pair of jeans than is about wearing dry unsanforized denim.

I like wearing 501's within a range of 4–5 sizes. I have 33–36 tag sizes that I routinely wear, and a pair of 38's too – my oversized pair of 1915's. So I don't mind if they gradually get smaller over the years. I usually start with a relaxed fit which gradually shrinks down to a regular fit over the years. If I want a snug fit, I start with a regular fit. If I want a tight fit, I start with a snug fit.

I also find that extended wearing before shrinking does tend to slightly reduce the amount of shrinkage you get when you finally do wash. I don't know exactly why, but it's almost as if after enough time, the denim "forgets" that it's unshrunk. Probably something to do with the fact that the denim has already ben stretched so much.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:56 AM, kicks79 said:

That 1880 is very tempting. Im not sure if I can pull it off style wise though.

the triple pleat is extremely versatile, and the 1890 can be worn much more casually with converse etc.

19 hours ago, jewellben said:

did you measure the inside leg of the 37 before they were washed? I'm thinking the 34 leg may be too short post soak after reading this

unfortunately not: but 76/77cm (on the cusp of 30 inches) from a tagged l.32 means around 2 inches shrink... nothing too scary?

11 hours ago, somatoform said:

Bartleby,

Which boots are those? Crockett and Jones Coniston comes to mind.....

they are a grenson boot - recently resoled at the cheaney factory - (I cannot remember the model name tho. but are of a veldtschoen construction with speed hooks) bought a good decade ago from before they shifted production outside UK

Beautiful colour on those 1890s Bartles, I’m tempted as loved my 1915s - 9oz, cinchback and no belt loops in a relatively modern-ish cut - but though I like the aesthetics, I’m not a fan of the practicality of exposed backpocket rivets.

they do look nice. My 1890s are a fair bit more drainpipe-y, I feel. I hammered down the back pocket rivets on mine. They're finally starting to look worn after about 12 years as I only wear them in the summer, then the TCB 20s contest happened.

(They're the bottom pair here, 201 right, 1901 top).

comparison.jpg

^ great pic as ever!

good advice also re: difference in cuts:

a quick rough-n-ready comparisons between the 1915 and the 1890 re: colour

the '15 shown has been washed and worn a little over the summer: far darker hue and more irregular denim for starters and def is a roomier cut on the legs... [whilst the 1890 had only a hot soak and no spin... like the jacket was treated...]

the 1890 atop 1915 in a very unscientific demonstration... [both same tag size tho...]

IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

3 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

...also, sorry if dealt with elsewhere: anyone on here have thoughts on the difference between the fabrics on the '44 and the '47?

They're quite different. The 44 is more like the 55 and 1915, dark and inky. The 47 fabric seems to have a lot more of the fill yarn coming thru and doesn't seem to have those nice greeny-turquoise mid-tones as it fades. It's fine and the cut is nice but personally it's my least favourite Cone.

BTW @bartlebyyphonics I remember now, your 1890s are nicer, they're the Cone, mine are the earlier Kurabo. So you're way ahead of me in the cool stakes... at least until I start on those 1880s natural indigo.

Edited by Paul T

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

They're quite different. The 44 is more like the 55 and 1915, dark and inky. The 47 fabric seems to have a lot more of the fill yarn coming thru and doesn't seem to have those nice greeny-turquoise mid-tones as it fades. It's fine and the cut is nice but personally it's my least favourite Cone.

BTW @bartlebyyphonics I remember now, your 1890s are nicer, they're the Cone, mine are the earlier Kurabo. So you're way ahead of me in the cool stakes... at least until I start on those 1880s natural indigo.

thanks for the clarification: love the '44 and been wondering if this is last chance saloon for the cone rendition of the lvc '47 but... [really don't like the seat / back pocket arrangement of the '47, but was wondering the losses...]

and @Paul T the natural indigo 1880s are indeed the holy grail! 

I was holding off from sharing any pix as am waiting for my 'first jeans' to come back to compare the 1890s (of which I have quite grown out of... & not worn anything to the extent of the pairs shown above - but streaky as hell) - but hopefully back in my grasp soon...

I got that 40% off email today as well. I've been thinking for some time about getting a pair of '47's. Now my size is sold out. Snooze = loose. 

4 hours ago, VivaMarlon said:

40% off Levi’s through tomorrow for those in the US, including LVC with code INDIGO. 

This might have been discussed here before, but what, if any, is leftover Cone stuff from the US plant that closed?

What website?

thanks

8 hours ago, Ciabatta said:

40% off is a good deal. Whats up with the "New Rinse" stuff? I assume that's just like their One-Wash version of stuff. How's the sizing though because I've lots of different things. 

The new rinse is basically their one-wash, but it's made in turkey. Patterns also sometimes differ, but not hugely. I've had the experience to size the same as raw to get it right