Levi's Vintage Clothing

Busy here today! 1880's just arrived. The size 34/34 measures 16.5" across the waist with Back Rise of 17" - these are too small for me. The 36/34 measure 17 3/4" waist and are similar in all other aspects - these fit better.  The seat is noticeable - true anti-fit. I didn't like it at first - less noticeable if you look at the side with the rear pocket, more noticeable when you look at the side sans-pocket. I would expect with some shrinkage the seat will improve. The denim is similar to the 1915s but not as dark, I'd like to see it in natural daylight and will take some comparison photos tomorrow. Unlike the 1915s it has generous pocket bags. Like the Mirror Jeans, it has limited edition number on the inside: XXX/300. The construction is interesting, the small pleats at the back and the way the seams are finished on the inside. I'm not a fan of the patch from this period but it's actually been nicely done and it sits discretely under the cinch. Anyway just initial thoughts, I'll probably be keeping them. There are a few pairs left on the UK website - mine worked out £126 after adding a discount code. Not sure how they got away with selling them for $600 retail in the US? Perhaps I have that wrong?

Edited by cool_hand

No you are right, they sold them for that much in the beginnng but now they are dirty cheap. I bought a size 34 during Black Friday. If I would have known they are 50% off later on, I would have waited...

And size 36 might have been better for me, too.

The denim is gorgeous though 

Did anyone pick-up the Sunset Chambray Shirt Rigid (AW17)? Have you washed it or soaked it and how much did it shrink?

I received mine today in a size Large - the sleeves are much shorter than I expected: 23.1/4" shoulder too cuff. The swing tags states:

Due to the nature of the fabric, it will shrink one whole size if washed.

The sleeve length is a concern!

11 minutes ago, cool_hand said:

Did anyone pick-up the Sunset Chambray Shirt Rigid (AW17)? Have you washed it or soaked it and how much did it shrink?

I received mine today in a size Large - the sleeves are much shorter than I expected: 23.1/4" shoulder too cuff. The swing tags states:

Due to the nature of the fabric, it will shrink one whole size if washed.

The sleeve length is a concern!

See my measurements above. I got mine XL.

It won't look bad with short sleeves. Also, remember that the shoulders are wide, and that translates to a deceptively short sleeve length measurement.

54 minutes ago, 428CJ said:

See my measurements above. I got mine XL.

It won't look bad with short sleeves. Also, remember that the shoulders are wide, and that translates to a deceptively short sleeve length measurement.

Did you size up or is that your usual size? Have you washed it or soaked it yet? I'm assuming not from your reply.

The shoulder width and sleeve length is the same on the Large. Yes, agree the shoulders are wide but not really enough to completely compensate for the short sleeves.

Here are the measurements of the Large:

Chest: 24"
Shoulders: 20.5"
Sleeve: 23.1/4"
Depth: 33.5" - (base of back collar to hem).

The fabric is superb, I wish it had glass buttons.

There was no XL left - price was £99.

Edited by cool_hand

IMG_7047_zpslqpeu0yr.jpg
TOP LEFT: 1880 Overalls Rigid.  TOP RIGHT: 1915.
BOTTOM LEFT: ROY Peanut.  BOTTOM RIGHT: LVC 1976 Mirror Jeans.

IMG_7048_zpsxfflpcdk.jpg
1880 Overalls Rigid.

IMG_7049_zpsdh2l5m5u.jpg

IMG_7051_zpsls4rej6y.jpg
ROY Peanut.

IMG_7050_zps7hccovdu.jpg
LVC 1976 Mirror Jeans.

Edited by cool_hand

30 minutes ago, Collin said:

I really like the shades of the 1880! Thanks for sharing 

It was photographed in natural light today but it was overcast - I think the 1880's natural indigo might 'ping' a little more if it was sunny.

Edited by cool_hand

1 hour ago, cool_hand said:

Did you size up or is that your usual size? Have you washed it or soaked it yet? I'm assuming not from your reply.

The shoulder width and sleeve length is the same on the Large. Yes, agree the shoulders are wide but not really enough to completely compensate for the short sleeves.

Here are the measurements of the Large:

Chest: 24"
Shoulders: 20.5"
Sleeve: 23.1/4"
Depth: 33.5" - (base of back collar to hem).

The fabric is superb, I wish it had glass buttons.

There was no XL left - price was £99.

The XL is a "very relaxed" fit on me (ended up with a larger chest measurement than almost all of my jackets) that will eventually shrink to a "quite relaxed" fit over the years. I break my shrink to fits in extensively before ever getting them wet, and I usually wash cold and air dry. Barring accident, it will likely be years before it gets its first submergence in water. I will do it's first wash cold to see what happens. If I want more shrinkage, the next wash will be hot. That said, I very much like the way it fits as is. It's a fine fit for a jumper-style shirt.

It did end up being larger than I expected, and I wouldn't mind owning the large too. I wanted to get the large in addition, but I restrained myself. The price was just under $100 U.S. fot the XL. When it went down to $85, I said screw it and tried to order a L too. The Website showed it as in stock, and let me add it to the cart. But as soon as it was there, a note appeared beside it, saying to remove it from the cart because it was out of stock.

I'm happy with the XL. I am just being greedy in wanting the same design with two different fits (just like I have with my 1880's, 1915's, and 1955's).

Edited by 428CJ

3 minutes ago, 428CJ said:

I sized for a "very relaxed" fit that will eventually shrink to a "quite relaxed" fit over the years. I break my shrink to fits in extensively before ever getting them wet, and I usually wash cold and air dry. Barring accident, it will likely be years before it gets its first submergence in water.

I wanted to get the large too, but I restrained myself. The price was just under $100 U.S.

You did state you paid $133 on the previous page, how did the price change to under $100?

Looking at the fabric I'd be surprised if it shrinks a whole size if it was cold washed. The label on inside states 5% shrinkage.

Not sure how you can wear it for years without washing it? It's going to get a bit whiffy.

Forgive me in advance for this slightly off-topic post, but I wanted to let you guys know that the smaller sizes of 3sixteen's CS-100x are on sale.

I only bring it up because (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like while the '47 501 may have been historically slimmer than the other models over the years, LVC really over-emphasized the slimness of the cut in the reproduction. I just wanted to let you know that the CS-100x is supposedly based on the 1947 501 and is much much more antifit. I wear a 31 in 501s and a 28 in these. I know it ain't cone and it ain't unsanforized and that there are a bunch of other brands who do the antifit thing, but if you wanted to check these out and are on the smaller side, these are $150!

5 hours ago, cool_hand said:

You did state you paid $133 on the previous page, how did the price change to under $100?

Looking at the fabric I'd be surprised if it shrinks a whole size if it was cold washed. The label on inside states 5% shrinkage.

Not sure how you can wear it for years without washing it? It's going to get a bit whiffy.

You're right. When I wrote my last post to you, I was calculating based off of a $140 starting point, minus the discounts. You are quite correct that the thing actually did cost more.  I think it was actually $180 or $190 to start, minus the 30%. It was a couple other items that I ordered that were $140 before applying the sale.

It isn't a tight fitting shirt, and it will always be worn with an undershirt (as I wear all my button shirts). I do a degree of manual labor most days at work, and it does get hot here. But my sweat is not particularly potent, and I wouldn't be wearing the Sunset Shirt in hot weather anyhow. My denim shirts that are much tighter fitting and made of heavier fabric take many months of actual wear to get even a hint of an armpit odor.

And when I said I probably wouldn't wash it for years, I didn't mean years of actual wear—just calendar years, being worn sporadically. I usually decide it's time to wash a denim shirt after three to six months of actual wear. I don't decide based on a certain number of days, though. I wash it when it needs it. Considering that I will wear one of my denim shirts at most 30 days out of a year (if it's one of my favorites), I can't see this thing needing a wash until it's at least two years old, and probably three.

Edited by 428CJ

21 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

No, they'll just go back to sourcing denim from Japan.

Curious what impact it will have positioning/messaging-wise, whether they will try to emulate/reproduce US Cone-style denim and the iterations through the years. For example, the different properties from say '76/'78, '66, '47 etc., all of which were pretty specific. And then how do they tell/change the story? First Levi's closed their factories. Now they've lost their marquee fabric. What will the brand mean in light of the underpinnings of the "heritage" approach that was so integral to the brand? Or, being the tiny niche market that it is in the first place, is this only important to older buyers (like me) who grew up, lived in, and old with them? As I said, I'm curious to see where they go from here. 

4 hours ago, chalisyourpal said:

Curious what impact it will have positioning/messaging-wise, whether they will try to emulate/reproduce US Cone-style denim and the iterations through the years. For example, the different properties from say '76/'78, '66, '47 etc., all of which were pretty specific. And then how do they tell/change the story? First Levi's closed their factories. Now they've lost their marquee fabric. What will the brand mean in light of the underpinnings of the "heritage" approach that was so integral to the brand? Or, being the tiny niche market that it is in the first place, is this only important to older buyers (like me) who grew up, lived in, and old with them? As I said, I'm curious to see where they go from here. 

My understanding is that there's been a prospect of Cone closing for the last 15 years, and during that time they've had a backup arranged for every single fabric. They will still commission each one separately with different yarns.

Yes, it does undermine a good part of the heritage of the brand. I know plenty of people there who really regret the closure of Valencia St by Philp Marineau (who then trousered a multimillion dollar bonus).

4 hours ago, chalisyourpal said:

My understanding is that there's been a prospect of Cone closing for the last 15 years, and during that time they've had a backup arranged for every single fabric. They will still commission each one separately with different yarns.

Yes, it does undermine a good part of the heritage of the brand. I know plenty of people there who really regret the closure of Valencia St by Philp Marineau (who then trousered a multimillion dollar bonus).

11 hours ago, Ciabatta said:

Any sites with decent size charts for the ‘54 501s? For either the rinsed or rigid versions?

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/levis-vintage-clothing-1954-501-rigid/

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/levis-vintage-clothing-1954-501z-jeans-new-rinse/

On 19/01/2018 at 2:03 AM, Ciabatta said:

Any sites with decent size charts for the ‘54 501s? For either the rinsed or rigid versions?

I just bought these from this lad and they're spot one

I'm awaiting a reply from him for my dad who wants bigger sizes

Edited by stonevintageco

Just returned a size M sack coat from last season, was 90€ on Levis.com after sale and additional coupon - was too big and now size s is sold out, bummer because for the price I quite liked the jacket. I attempted an exchange, maybe I'm lucky and someone returned a size s. 

3 hours ago, cool_hand said:

I was actually going to reply to that poster to be very leery of the size charts from a store called Union Made. Some of those charts are wacky, nd obviously dead wrong...and they're the ones that seem to pop up most in Web searches.