Levi's Vintage Clothing

Aw heck, I just bought a pair of '47s on grailed and now I'm being tempted with the '66s. Does the 66 typically fit true to size? I know you guys counseled me to go one size up in the 47s (which I did).

20 hours ago, Cucoo said:

My 66 are hang drying right now, I'll wear them for a comparable time tomorrow.

DSC_2827.thumb.JPG.14a738fa58dbfdf1ca5f9b5c1913c148.JPG

66 left, 76 on the right:

DSC_2829.thumb.JPG.d7e27fabc89acb07459a1aee734687de.JPG

There's only minor differences in fit, the lower rise of the 66 is somewhat noticeable but that's it. 

A few measurements after 30° wash and 1-2 hours of wear each:

76:

Waist 37cm
Rise 28cm
Thigh 29cm
Hem 19cm

66:

Waist 38cm
Rise 26cm
Thigh 28cm
Hem 19cm

Length came out at a bit under 32" for both which is perfect for me.

47s en route to my current home in France and I couldn't help myself and ordered the 66s, which I had sent to my parent's house in CA, so I can pick those up at xmas time!

I'm so psyched to finally do the LVC thing right. I've loved Cone denim since I briefly interned at Rising Sun & Co. and in terms of fit, my 501 stf have always been my favorite, no matter how much I tried to spend (I learned the hard way that I don't fit into any of the trendy brands like RGT or 3sixteen). While I was working on my senior thesis last year (which I wrote on Levi's jeans and masculinity in the 50s) I got some 1954 501z to get in the spirit, but was totally disappointed with the fit. I knew they were going to be slim-tapered, but I didn't realize how unlike the original 1950s style they would be.

So now I'll have the 47s when I want to do a Brando vibe and the 66s when I'm feeling more McQueen. Also, totally loving this sufu thing.

I'm also glad to finally be getting some LVC items after all this time.

1915's I jumped on just because Levi's UK had a disgusting sale on them (£72 each). For a long time, I had been planning for the '33's, but the '15's are close enough that they will probably do as a '33 substitute.

The '44's I had always planned on getting, and I jumped during a sale.

The '66's always kind of intrigued me, but I wouldn't have ever bought them. Then they popped up for $120, so I went for it. They're still in the mail.

'55's sound great too. They will be my next pair.

21 hours ago, 428CJ said:

I'm also glad to finally be getting some LVC items after all this time.

1915's I jumped on just because Levi's UK had a disgusting sale on them (£72 each). For a long time, I had been planning for the '33's, but the '15's are close enough that they will probably do as a '33 substitute.

The '44's I had always planned on getting, and I jumped during a sale.

The '66's always kind of intrigued me, but I wouldn't have ever bought them. Then they popped up for $120, so I went for it. They're still in the mail.

'55's sound great too. They will be my next pair.

That's a pretty definitive selection I think. I reckon the 1915 fabric is distinctly superior to the 1933. The 44, 55 and 66 are all really nice.

I got a msj from a SuFu luminary asking about the three pleat (check it out on the TCB 20s thread, it seems to have become a uniform).

Given that this might be the last chance for folks to buy one I though I'd share pix and dimensions. Mine is a medium, summer 2016 production so probably what they're still selling.  Armpit to armpit is exactly 20 1/2 inches after (I think) a warm soak that gave very little shrinkage.

I do love the shade; distinctly greener, and less black, than any other LVC, with a very open weave. I think if you buy this jacket, you should kinda do so on the basis that you expect it never to show wear, really! This is a very, very different jacket from 50s and 60s stuff. I especially love the tight, crisp edges on the cuffs, the incredibly short stitch length and the dull, muted colour of the stitching. It's very much a blouson; like a heavy shirt more than a jacket.

[edit: sorry Bartleby for replicating your post, I hadn't seen it! You're right, the buttons are a complete pain, I had to restitch almost every single one... in fact i tried one on in the Paris store, a button pinged off the cuff and rolled off along the floor, after which I had to leave in especially furtive fashion. ]

Main one year.jpg

pleatsoneyear.jpg

dirtycuffs.jpg

collar.jpg

Edited by Paul T

40 percent off at the Levi's U.S.A. Website, no exclusions – not even LVC or sale items. Code: INDIGO40. Run, don't walk over there right away, because the stuff is already getting picked over.

I just picked up an XL rigid Triple Pleat (finally) and a pair of rigid '55's for $433 including tax and shipping. Had to size down on the '55's; I'll just wear them a tad tight and/or never wash them.

P.S. This means that what few '66's are left (28's, 29's, and 38's), which were already marked down to $120, are now only $72. Yes, I tested this by putting a pair in my cart. Unfortunately, I already bit at the $120 price (should be arriving today).

P.P.S. I just went back to check on the '66's in a size 38, and they are already long gone.

P.P.P.S. And don't forget that this also applies to all their standard lines. This should make standard STFs and M.I.U.S.A. Cone 501's and 541's a pretty nice price.

Edited by 428CJ

7 hours ago, 428CJ said:

40 percent off at the Levi's U.S.A. Website, no exclusions – not even LVC or sale items. Code: INDIGO40. Run, don't walk over there right away, because the stuff is already getting picked over.

I just picked up an XL rigid Triple Pleat (finally) and a pair of rigid '55's for $433 including tax and shipping. Had to size down on the '55's; I'll just wear them a tad tight and/or never wash them.

P.S. This means that what few '66's are left (28's, 29's, and 38's), which were already marked down to $120, are now only $72. Yes, I tested this by putting a pair in my cart. Unfortunately, I already bit at the $120 price (should be arriving today).

P.P.S. I just went back to check on the '66's in a size 38, and they are already long gone.

P.P.P.S. And don't forget that this also applies to all their standard lines. This should make standard STFs and M.I.U.S.A. Cone 501's and 541's a pretty nice price.

Levis does price adjustments on their website- Live Chat. Just give them your order number and they will apply the current 40% off discount. The difference will he refunded to your account between 3-5 business days. 

My 66s went from 130$ shipped to 78$ ...

Thanks for the tip. I hope it's not too late to try it tomorrow. 

I just got mine today too, in the same size as yours (36/34). A few quick measurements:

waist: 36.5"

rise: 12.5"

inseam: 33.0"

thigh: 27" at crotch, 26" two inches down

20" at factory fold line, probably a bit below the knee.

hem: 17.5"

If I had to describe this cut in a single phrase, I'd say, "Mid-waisted relaxed-fitting taper."

Seems a lower rear rise than most 501's ("flatter" waistband profile), and bigger, lower pockets. With a perfectly fitted waistband, the legs are very roomy. The butt is form following, yet relaxed. This is a much more relaxed and much more tapered fit than I expected...but that's a good thing. It means I actually like it *more* than I expected.

I tried 4" single and 2.5" double cuffs, and both are a bit awkward looking with the heavy leg taper from the knee down. A pleat is required at some point (I put mine adjacent to the inseams, on each rear leg panel), and of course the cuffs flare open toward the leg openings, opposite the leg taper. I will probably go with my usual hem on these, and save the cuffs for my '44's and '55's.

Edited by 428CJ

17 hours ago, Paul T said:

That's a pretty definitive selection I think. I reckon the 1915 fabric is distinctly superior to the 1933. The 44, 55 and 66 are all really nice.

I got a msj from a SuFu luminary asking about the three pleat (check it out on the TCB 20s thread, it seems to have become a uniform).

Given that this might be the last chance for folks to buy one I though I'd share pix and dimensions. Mine is a medium, summer 2016 production so probably what they're still selling.  Armpit to armpit is exactly 20 1/2 inches after (I think) a warm soak that gave very little shrinkage.

I do love the shade; distinctly greener, and less black, than any other LVC, with a very open weave. I think if you buy this jacket, you should kinda do so on the basis that you expect it never to show wear, really! This is a very, very different jacket from 50s and 60s stuff. I especially love the tight, crisp edges on the cuffs, the incredibly short stitch length and the dull, muted colour of the stitching. It's very much a blouson; like a heavy shirt more than a jacket.

[edit: sorry Bartleby for replicating your post, I hadn't seen it! You're right, the buttons are a complete pain, I had to restitch almost every single one... in fact i tried one on in the Paris store, a button pinged off the cuff and rolled off along the floor, after which I had to leave in especially furtive fashion. ]

Main one year.jpg

pleatsoneyear.jpg

dirtycuffs.jpg

collar.jpg

the jacket looks really awesome ~ id also like to pick one. which size should i get if i normally wear shirts that are around 18 to 19 inches from shoulder to shoulder? Thank you very much ~

A little sizing information of my 501XX 1976 in size 34x34 after a cold machine wash and hang dry. Waist was pulled when wet and then the jeans were worn for around 5-7 days.

LVC 501XX 1976 size 34x34

Waist: 34.25”
Front: 12”
Back: 15.6”
Thigh: 13”
Knee: 9.6”
Leg opening: 8.1”
Inseam: 31.75

Code BF30 on Levi's homepage for 30% off. Valid until 26th November. Maybe only the German or European version as the US site has 40% these days.

3 hours ago, tchengaa said:

the jacket looks really awesome ~ id also like to pick one. which size should i get if i normally wear shirts that are around 18 to 19 inches from shoulder to shoulder? Thank you very much ~

this medium is exactly 18 shoulder to shoulder, to the seams. My guess: If you wear your shirts over a T and want to wear the jacket like that, a Medium should be possible, but a Large might be safer -  I have seen that they're circa 20 shoulder to shoulder.

9 hours ago, bod said:

How come you didn’t buy a 32” leg, were they sold out?

32 would have been too short for me on an unsanforized jean. I am 5'11", and I'll go no shorter than 33" on an unsanforized pair. 34 was the only available inseam for this model, on the Levi's Website. But the real question should be, "Why not 36?" I buy the longest inseam I can, for a few reasons.

Firstly, always better to start with too much inseam than too little, or even the perfect length. It can be more suitably tailored that way, and give more options off the bat (hemming, stacking, tall single cuffing, double cuffing, folding under, etc.). It also allows for factory error or inconsistency; as you see from my measurements, these so-called 34's actually have 33" inseams.

Secondly, It gives me a nice amount of perfectly matching material for patches and for making extra belt loops (I often add two extra rear loops to five-loop pants, especially if the waistband is big on me).

Thirdly, some jeans makers increase rise as they increase inseam. I am very high waisted and big butted, so I appreciate as much rise as possible. I would have got these in 36L or 38L if they had been available, hoping for an extra 1/4–1/2" of rise.

Fourthly, I don't give unsanforized denim a soak before wearing it; I soak months down the road. I also wash cold, so I end up with a slowly shortening inseam over the life of the jeans, as oppsed to getting all the shrink out up front. That means I need a length that will work both pre-shrunk and post-shrunk. Normally I will hem by folding to the point at which there is just barely no break, then add 3" to allow for the maximum shrinkage over the life of the jeans. I usually stack the excess length before the denim ever gets wet, usually 30–90 days. That way a stack turns into a heavy break after the first wash, and shortens bit by bit with each subsequent wash, hopefully ending up perfect years down the road.

Lastly, I hem lower than I cuff – usually around 30–31" for hems  vs. 28–29" (above the breaking point) for cuffs. As such, the excess length seems greater with a cuff. When I said I folded up 5" of material into a double cuff, that probably means that the inseams are only 3" longer than where I'd hem a totally shrunk pair of jeans (i.e. perfect for an unsanforized pair).

On these jeans, With their 33.0" inseam, I will probably just keep the factory hem, and stack till the first wash.

Edited by 428CJ