Levi's Vintage Clothing

The 76s I tried on (and hopefully will be getting) were my usual size 32 and were certainly over tag size. Didn't measure them but I expect they'll be fine. Order your usual size b_F, they're quite a roomy cut too so not like the 47s at all.

12 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

My 1947 in 36 are quite roomy so size 34 it is. And am I right about the inseam?

If the 36 in the '47s are quite roomy, then I'd say that you'd be a size 34 in the '76s. Whatever the waist measurement starts out to be for your '76s, after shrinkage and wear, they'll end up pretty bang-on the pre-wash measurement. I wear a size 31 in the '76s (no need for a belt), and I used to consistently wear a size 31 in the '47s (but I got too fat and they're now unbearably tight).

For the '76s inseam, they do tend to start shorter than tagged (i.e. length 34 is closer to 33). You should expect around 2.5" of shrinkage in the inseam, but your mileage may vary.

@beautiful_FrEaK - are you saying you're getting a pair of 501 1976 in size 34x36? From where? I wasn't aware that they were made with that long of an inseam. My 34x34 inseam length shrank to 31.75". While the length is just long enough, I'd prefer them longer. 

I just received a pair of jeans in the mail. Bought them online and the pics where pretty bad but I could see the ‘47 501’s slightly tilted arcs and a selvedge line and they where cheap so I got them. Upon inspection they are exactly like my lvc ‘47 pair from about 2010. I mean stitch colour and length, proportions and selvedge line. Leather patch and all the info on the wash label. Fabric also looks and feels like my old pair but here’s the kicker: They’ve got a double sided small e tab! What the..!? Does anyone know what they might be? My old pair was bought from Meadow in Malmö so I know they are the real deal.

54 minutes ago, mpukas said:

@beautiful_FrEaK - are you saying you're getting a pair of 501 1976 in size 34x36? From where? I wasn't aware that they were made with that long of an inseam. My 34x34 inseam length shrank to 31.75". While the length is just long enough, I'd prefer them longer. 

Yes I do. Ordered from the German Levi's homepage.

31.75" sounds good to me though. I feared they would be shorter once totally shrunken

On 10/29/2017 at 6:03 PM, MileHighEvertonian said:

It gets worse, Lance. They're actually $595 if you buy them stateside: http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/levi/p/344960000

Yikes!

That distressed version for the same price made me sad and cringe at the same time.

11 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

My size 32 1976 arrived and measure approx 33.5/34" in the waist (waistband aligned) and 33.5/34" in the inseam. Should be perfect after a hot wash or two!

My size 30 1976 measure exactly 30" with the waistband aligned, which I still think is strange when your 32 is clearly oversized. Still not sure if I should trust @propellerbeanie and just go for it... :D  They probably also feel tight in the waist since the rise hasn't shrunk yet and they sit higher than they would after shrinkage, too.

The '47 and '66 will arrive tomorrow so I'll wait to compare either way.

@Cucoo Oh, interesting. I have a feeling your '76s are undersized because I also have a size 32, and the waist is 85cm/33.5" like Maynard's. And from one of my old posts, my size 31 started at 82cm/32.3".

Are you planning to keep all three pairs, or are you going to choose one of the three to keep? What sizes did you get in the other ones?

I don't plan on keeping all three, I just wanted to make use of the free shipping and returns from Levis.com to compare the three cuts that interest me the most. I got  size 30 in all three since I thought those models would all shrink to tag nowadays :blush: 

The 1976 fit fine in the waist now, so maybe they'd be alright after all once they sit lower and stretch back to raw eventually (or with a little manual help when still wet)...

4 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

All good ideas but mine have 501XX on the leather patch, the same selvedge line as the LVC and the care tag says made in the USA instead of Poland. The 1947 special ed. patch isn’t present but could have been removed obviously. Could it be a sample as you say?! 

2 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

All good ideas but mine have 501XX on the leather patch, the same selvedge line as the LVC and the care tag says made in the USA instead of Poland. The 1947 special ed. patch isn’t present but could have been removed obviously. Could it be a sample as you say?! 

I had someone email me with photos of similar jeans, 66 pockets etc, but little e label and no selvage. I actually don't know what they are! I can't work out why we haven't seen them before, either, perhaps they're simply faulty ones that have come out through back channels.

Regarding my 1976 sizing problems: Cultizm replied that while most LVC nowadays shrink to tag size the 76 does not and is indeed almost too small when raw, people need to size up one or even two in their experience. Maybe there are two versions of the jeans or newer runs are sized differently? This is quite maddening...

Would be interesting to compare to a 76 bought from Levi's directly, curious what b_f's findings will be. 

My raw '55 501xx's 34x32 from ENDclothing measure:

Waist: 35"

Front Rise: 13"

Back Rise: 17"

Thigh: ~13-13.25" depending on how you angle the measuring tape

Knee: 10" not sure if anyone even measures this part anymore.

Inseam: 31.5"

Leg opening: ~8.5-8.75"

Button code 4420 if that helps anything.

I also have a pair in the same size coming from Cultizm but I don't expect those to arrive for a a couple weeks, will report the specs on those when they do arrive. Which ever one has the bigger waist size will be my contest pair.

Kind of surprised by the leg opening, thought it would be a bit wider but it actually works better for me. Maybe it's wider on the longer inseams?

Edited by HAZARDkid

1 hour ago, HAZARDkid said:

My raw '55 501xx's 34x32 from ENDclothing measure:

Waist: 35"

Front Rise: 13"

Back Rise: 17"

Thigh: ~13-13.25" depending on how you angle the measuring tape

Knee: 10" not sure if anyone even measures this part anymore.

Inseam: 31.5"

Leg opening: ~8.5-8.75"

Button code 4420 if that helps anything.

I also have a pair in the same size coming from Cultizm but I don't expect those to arrive for a a couple weeks, will report the specs on those when they do arrive. Which ever one has the bigger waist size will be my contest pair.

Kind of surprised by the leg opening, thought it would be a bit wider but it actually works better for me. Maybe it's wider on the longer inseams?

Exactly what I needed. How much do you think they'll shrink in the waist?

^2 inches in the waist and 2-3 in the length depending on how you wash and dry them. 

I had a pair of "66 with the same button code and they shrank to about a 33 in the waist and 29.5 in the leg with a machine wash on cold. Pretty sure I'll get something very similar. I will probably wash them down on Sunday and I'll post the results here.

1 hour ago, JDelage said: