Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 26/08/2017 at 10:04 AM, propellerbeanie said:

How do I size for the '44 501? For reference, if I were to size my current LVC jeans so that I wouldn't need a belt (i.e. so they're not deliberately oversized), these are the following sizes I would get:

• '33 size 31
  • '47 size 32
  • '55 size 30
  • '76 size 31

I've been thinking that the size 31 in the '44 501s will be the right choice, but I'm unsure due to the discrepancy in waist measurements across different websites. 

can't give definitive answer but the cultizsm measurements are the most accurate to the 44s i have. my size 36x34 soaked and twice washed they have lost about a cm of most of the listed measurements there (ie front rise now 33cm, hem is 23cm, inseam 82cm - mostly only real shrink in length) but waist (measured front and back aligned) is around 48cm. if going for a true 36 i would have gone 34 but wearing baggy these days (and the thighs on 34 felt a little restrictive for my current tastes)  

good luck with searching and expanding lvc collection 

http://www.cultizm.com/shop_content.php?coID=140

@bartlebyyphonics

Thanks for the advice. Interesting that the waist didn't shrink much... Did you use a machine to wash them?

Do you find that there's enough room in the thighs? I'm not the most proportionate person, and the measurements for the thighs are looking like they could be slim-ish.

5 hours ago, kicks79 said:

It has been years since I bought a Levis STF 501.

I'm looking at the 1976 model. How much shrink is in the waist? Can I still expect 1.5-2" ?

Hey man, for my size 31 pair, it started off with a 82cm waist (measured BiG style). After a hot machine wash, it ended up being about 76cm. I've now done a proper cold machine wash to clean my jeans, worn them for a few days, and the waist is currently 81cm.

So I guess you can expect shrinkage of around 2", but it'll stretch back out if you don't wear a belt. If you do wear one, then you can limit the stretch a little bit, but I've gained weight, so I no longer need one lol

21 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

@bartlebyyphonics

Thanks for the advice. Interesting that the waist didn't shrink much... Did you use a machine to wash them?

Do you find that there's enough room in the thighs? I'm not the most proportionate person, and the measurements for the thighs are looking like they could be slim-ish.

hey. 

two washes were front loading machine, one 40 degree c with air dry, one 30 degree c with air dry til damp then machine dry to encourage any latent crinkles and leg length reduction before any potential hemming job

the size 34 felt a little restrictive in the junction between top box of garment going into thigh rather than the 'meat' of the thigh (this is experience in fitting room, no idea how that might stretch in lived experience)... but i hesitate on sizing advice as is so subjective... key thing i was looking for in the model is the high rise... it has that in spades

happy with thighs of the 36

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

@kicks79

No worries, mate. Hopefully you can find a size that works for you =)

@bartlebyyphonics

Thanks! True, fit varies for everyone. I think the main thing for me is the shrinkage in the width because I've never really had any real issues with LVC's lengths as I'm not tall. From your account, it seems like they don't shrink too much in the width, so I might end up going with the size 31... I'm in no rush to purchase, so will probably sit on it for a little while.

By the way, am I right in saying that they no longer use the olive pocket bags for the '44s and now just use the regular white-ish ones?

On 31/08/2017 at 5:20 AM, propellerbeanie said:

By the way, am I right in saying that they no longer use the olive pocket bags for the '44s and now just use the regular white-ish ones?

yup yup

see p637 for ed selling on 44s that look like they didnt shrink much also

re: length, the extra inch of rise adds another inch to garment overall, so unless worn over belly button this adds to length also

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

I decided to wash my '76's and see how much they would shrink. My usual wash routine: (1) cold water wash, hand cycle, unscented detergent, no spin, hang dry; followed by same routine except with hot water wash. Ironed when dry. Pre- and post- measurements; 

Waist: 17.25", 16.25" 

Front rise: 12.625", 12.0" 

Rear rise: 15.625", 14.75" 

Thigh @ crotch: 13.25", 12.75" 

Thigh 2" down: 12.5", 12.0" 

Knee @ 14" down: 9.825", 9.375" 

Hem: 8.325", 8.125" 

Inseam: 34.0", 31.75" 

They shrunk 2.25" in length, While they're shorter than I normally wear, they still look just fine to me. Actually, I think these might be one of the best fitting pairs I've ever owned. 

Raw fit ('scuze the fun house mirror effect); 

20170829_164958.jpg

20170829_165305.jpg

20170829_165238.jpg

I just copped a pair of 76 501s 30x32".

Gave them a 30 min soak in the tub with me included :D

Really loving the fit. The rise is super comfortable and the tapered leg is great. At 12 ounce they are also the lightest pair of jeans I've had for a while.

Will post some pics soon.

Really nice pair Paul T, and great to see a decent leg twist. The only drawback to me is the low waist, since I am tall I´ll like it sit higher.

I just wonder why they did change it, since I remember '66s from the early 2000s that came with a regular rise.

How long did you wait for the 1st wash btw?

The 76 (along with 55) also is currently my favorite jeans of the the hole red tab era, since it is the most adequate repro.

Hope to see some beautiful faded pairs here, soon.

Hi everyone,

New here, from Portugal and not a collector by any means...

My adventure with LVC started in 2014 with my first pair of 1947's bought online without any sort of advice or research, You can guess what happened, ended up with trousers a good two sizes up my number, which btw I'm proudly wearing today, a pair of 1947's W31 Rigid. Even if the baggy fit wasn't, and isn't, my first love I never could part with them. Recently and due to discovering this thread have been leafing through some Japanese magazines and noticed how the short and skinny legged men (me..) wear them in a fun and nice way so I'll keep them some more.

And what a bumpy road has been because since then I'm on my 5th stf pair (not all lvc) and only recently could I point in the right direction which may be around a W28/29 (in Portugal, to my knowledge, there's no LVC for sale and when in UK never bothered to try them because I thought a w30 would be a w30 and had no knowledge of unsanforization or whatsoever). Should have started to read this thread earlier, but better late than never, and in the last couple of weeks I've been spending my nights with these 640 pages of knowledge (thanks paul t, sympathy, house, heech, setterman, maynard, airfrog, and many others who provided invaluable info on the subject).

Backwards, Levi's must have been some sort of rite of passage from child to boy, because when I was around 13 my mother asked what I wanted for my birthday and I told her I wanted a pair of 501's. It was my first pair of denim jeans even if my best friend at the time wore Lee's, but somehow I never ended with a pair of Lee's and I really don't know how I came to Levi's because my father wore Lois. From there I never stopped buying 501's until maybe 10 years ago when I got a bit disappointed with the green casts and the lack of a nice fade and leg twist that I've experienced in the late 80's. From then until 2014 I only wore a pair of 511's...

When entering the LVC world I wanted to find a replica of what (in my mind) was the perfect jeans for me, that 80's feel but I just found another world, other fits and here I am savoring a lot of different stuff and yet to taste other pairs.

In the meanwhile bought some 501 stf's W30, waaay too big, sold them; a pair of 1947's rigid W31 kept for baggy use but would love to try a pair of w28/w29; a pair of 1954's rigid W30, I like the fit and the hairy denim (reminded me of that 80's denim) but could be a size smaller, nevertheless a keeper; a pair of 1947's new rinse W30 waaay too big (16.375 waist) because I thought I could buy a presoaked w30 and they would be nicely fitted, they weren´t... at all, will be sold for sure; a pair of 501 stf's w28, the slimmest pair but not yet crushing (one more inch and I'll be in trouble)... a rocker's feel but not skinny, would love to know in which 501 model they are based because really like them, and if it's not too much heresy here, their color too.

Finally and from what I've been reading recently I'm eeying the 66's and the 76's, let's see which ones will come first although the troublesome part is I don't know how on earth will I rotate such a number of jeans, because also have black, white, etc.

At some point will contribute with photos too.

Edited by free2hear

Welcome to the club free2hear,

and thanks for your kind introduction. Finding a good fitting pair of LVC´s online will always be a hassle.

Look at the two pairs of your link, both were known to run bigger in waist than the label would tell, but

the current issues(the 1915 from your link) fit true to size, the current 1890 (the one in your link shows the older version)

also fits true to size. If you are still looking for an 80s fit I would recommend the 1978 which feature  the same details and denim

like the 1976(which I love) but run a bit slimmer and come up with shorter rise though.

But in general you can say that all RIGID LVCs of current production run true to size. You can easily identify them on the horizontal retangular

cardboard label(not speaking of the leather like) at the waist of the pairs:

http://www.hanon-shop.com/i/q/264080000/levis-vintage-1976-501-jeans

best

On 08/09/2017 at 9:13 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Welcome to the club free2hear,

Thanks for your welcome Sympathy and also for your recommendations. Being of smaller and thin legs I don't know if the older stuff from Levis suits me well, but from what I've been seeing the cut I enjoy the most visually is from the 1933's, although having read before that their denim might not be the best of the best, it is something I wouldn't mind much. But I think I'll wait for a trip to London before committing to such specific cuts.

I mentioned the 80's because a specific pair that I wore at that time fitted me really well, had a lovely tone, were hairy, had twisted legs (or leg) and faded beautifully, even if they weren't selvedge, because the first time I saw selvedge was in LVC's back in 2012 (son of a stag in London, if I remember correctly).

Let's see what I can get online for now, even if it is a bit of a gamble and, I agree with you, an hassle. I've only had the chance to break two pairs from new (47's rigid and 501'stf) having also bought used (but almost new) 47's, 54's and 66's (this pair in transit). My best fit might be W28/W29 but they seem quite rare at the used market or even new, at least in Europe, and I can´t be bothered to snag them from US or Japan due to taxes, shipping etc. That's why I'm risking with some W30's and testing "violent" shrinking methods though with mixed results.

So far I'm into all these different fits and possibilities of use and very very happy to go back to some sort of youth dream: the 501's, in so many different interactions. Now I should have two or three more asses to wear them all  :)

if we could afford it. since it comes in natural indigo i could imagine they will ask as much as for the mirror jeans.

but really nice details, such as the darts at the yoke that never had been featured on any non duck repro of levi´s,

as far as I know. also i am happy they could finally manage to attach the braces buttons to the right place,

a little detail that is unfortunatel messed up at the 1890s end even worst at the 1915. sometime i wonder, what it makes

so difficult to such things the right way.<_<

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

The new 1880s fabric is made by Cone, using indigo grown in Tennessee. Can't wait to see it.

The previous natural indigo, from 2001 or so, was made by Kurabo. Fascinated to see if the new one is very different. I am guessing the yarn will be rather like that used on the three-pleat jacket.

This must cost them more to produce than the Kurabo one, which was more bought-in than individually developed. A crazy thing to do for two items which don't carry over to next season, but I admire that craziness.