with a hot rise and a 40C wash, line dry

very little shrinkage width-wise

but some good twist

the fabric has taken a while to show

but the fluff is emerging...

hung over from too much tequila

staring into the indigo ocean and surrounding natural patina

looking for salvation

[+ for some period specificity, I also post an excerpt from Minor White's excellent 'Amputations' series made 1942-1947, himself a lover of natural detail and wearers of work wear, it was a piece censored for its short shrift to the logics of war]

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

004a.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

006a.jpg

007.jpg

007a.jpg

008.jpg

009 amputations 1942-47.jpg

010 amputations.jpg

4 hours ago, tigerstrom said:

Do somebody know when levis started using chainstitched hems? 

The LVC 1922 and 1927 501s have lockstitched hems whilst the 1933s have chainstitched hems. Meanwhile...

back at the ranch...the LVC 1920s 201s have chainstitched hems.

In conclusion, therefore, I suspect it's somewhere between the 20s and the 30s.

11 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

great purchase and post. the 44s to me long stood for the best denim LVC would offer back in the days and still is one of my favorite

vintage jeans, superior to the 47s and 37s...

thanks!

your recommendation of the 44 fabric earlier was contributing factor (as is the csf frenzy here and on db - want to see how these fade in comparison)

also, aho's great IG posts on 40s workwear and various other contradictions in photos of japanese american internment helped

[to keep the cuffs, but lose the clipboard and welcome the neighbour...]

1940_contradiction_aho.png

16 hours ago, Smallrod said:

Hi, can someone give me post wash measurements from a recent pair of LVC 1947 size 33 X34?

Thanks.

Hey mate, I might be of help depending how "recent" you're referring to... I had a pair that I bought in 2015 that was size 33/34, which were massive on me. I machine washed and tumble dried the jeans and the measurements ended up as follows:

Waist 15.6"

Front rise 11.75"

Back rise 15.25"

Thigh 11.9"

Knee 9"

Hem 8.25"

Inseam 31.5"

Mind you, I'm not sure if Levi's has changed the sizing of their jeans in the last couple of years. If they haven't then these measurements should be pretty accurate (best to get measurements from more sources to compare). Just remember that I pretty much nuked these because they were so big for me to begin with, so your mileage may vary. I ended up selling them on grailed, and if you wanna see pics of the jeans to determine if they look shrunken then click this word.

7 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

Hey mate, I might be of help depending how "recent" you're referring to... I had a pair that I bought in 2015 that was size 33/34, which were massive on me. I machine washed and tumble dried the jeans and the measurements ended up as follows:

Waist 15.6"

Front rise 11.75"

Back rise 15.25"

Thigh 11.9"

Knee 9"

Hem 8.25"

Inseam 31.5"

Mind you, I'm not sure if Levi's has changed the sizing of their jeans in the last couple of years. If they haven't then these measurements should be pretty accurate (best to get measurements from more sources to compare). Just remember that I pretty much nuked these because they were so big for me to begin with, so your mileage may vary. I ended up selling them on grailed, and if you wanna see pics of the jeans to determine if they look shrunken then click this word.

Very helpful, many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just crossposting from the WAYWT 2017 topic. I'm wearing a couple of items from LVC's most recent offerings: 1960s stripe T-shirt, and the usual 1976 501.

I'm no good at reviewing pieces of clothing, but I got the T-shirt because I liked the colour of the stripes. The fit is quite pleasant as well because it's not too long for my short stature, and the shorter sleeves are something different - as you can tell, I have a mad T-shirt tan as most of my T-shirts are a bit longer. The fabric itself really isn't anything to write home about having handled T-shirts from the likes of Merz b. Schwanen, TFH, Lady White Co., and some others. I've been asked why I buy LVC gear when there's better quality clothing out there, and most of the time it's because I like the designs and can't find the same ones from other brands. For example, the graphic T-shirts from the Homerun collection were pretty cool.

It's not noticeable in this picture, but my '76 501s are fading nicely. Whiskers, combs, and roping are developing, but I do have a dreaded phone fade on my back pocket (unavoidable at times). They feel dirty, so a wash in the near future is inevitable. Also, I'm pretty impatient when taking detail pictures, so please forgive me when I say I'll post pics and don't post any. They'll eventually happen when I'm in the mood! =)

IMG_1964-01.thumb.jpeg.d931cd07d5205eebff07e146acf9cb91.jpeg

propellerbeanie, can you please confirm if that t-shirt is sort of thin? I have one just like it and unlike all the other lvc tees I own, it feels really flimsy. I hope I didn't get one from a secondary factory or something..

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, mgvtp said:

propellerbeanie, can you please confirm if that t-shirt is sort of thin? I have one just like it and unlike all the other lvc tees I own, it feels really flimsy. I hope I didn't get one from a secondary factory or something..

Thanks.

Hey man, I would say the T-shirt is quite a thin material. I don't own many T-shirts from LVC, but my 1940s one also seems rather thin as well. I feel like the material wouldn't be very resilient if I were to get it caught on something, which means I'd probably only where it on occasion when I'm not doing anything too physical.

I'm so sad that I've put on about 10 extra pounds; haven't been able to wear any of my LVC (most recently purchased the '76, as posted here.) Too much good food and drink out there this summer.

In the mean time, I've had to get some 'fat pants', they're the Gap 1969 Kaihara selvedge. At least I'm wearing raws...

On 7/17/2017 at 0:54 PM, propellerbeanie said:

Just crossposting from the WAYWT 2017 topic. I'm wearing a couple of items from LVC's most recent offerings: 1960s stripe T-shirt, and the usual 1976 501.

I'm no good at reviewing pieces of clothing, but I got the T-shirt because I liked the colour of the stripes. The fit is quite pleasant as well because it's not too long for my short stature, and the shorter sleeves are something different - as you can tell, I have a mad T-shirt tan as most of my T-shirts are a bit longer. The fabric itself really isn't anything to write home about having handled T-shirts from the likes of Merz b. Schwanen, TFH, Lady White Co., and some others. I've been asked why I buy LVC gear when there's better quality clothing out there, and most of the time it's because I like the designs and can't find the same ones from other brands. For example, the graphic T-shirts from the Homerun collection were pretty cool.

It's not noticeable in this picture, but my '76 501s are fading nicely. Whiskers, combs, and roping are developing, but I do have a dreaded phone fade on my back pocket (unavoidable at times). They feel dirty, so a wash in the near future is inevitable. Also, I'm pretty impatient when taking detail pictures, so please forgive me when I say I'll post pics and don't post any. They'll eventually happen when I'm in the mood! =)

IMG_1964-01.thumb.jpeg.d931cd07d5205eebff07e146acf9cb91.jpeg

Unionmade has/had a lot of LVC tshirts in their sale.

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

Unionmade has/had a lot of LVC tshirts in their sale.

I live in Australia, so shipping is USD 60 (no joke). Even if they have a sale going on, there's kinda no point in me buying anything from them when other stores allow me to shop tax-free on top of free worldwide shipping. The only time I've ever bought from them was when they had a sale on the PF Flyers X Gitman Vintage sneakers, and the total I paid for the item + shipping ended up being as if I had purchased them for retail price.

14 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

I live in Australia, so shipping is USD 60 (no joke). Even if they have a sale going on, there's kinda no point in me buying anything from them when other stores allow me to shop tax-free on top of free worldwide shipping. The only time I've ever bought from them was when they had a sale on the PF Flyers X Gitman Vintage sneakers, and the total I paid for the item + shipping ended up being as if I had purchased them for retail price.

Hell, Unionmade charges $10 just for shipping WITHIN the states!  I don't need their fancy packaging that's huge just for one order or two.  They only do online sells since their store closed down.  

Been debating about buying a tshirt myself but the shipping/final sale on brands I've never worn yet to get a feel of their sizing is not appealing at the moment.  I'm frugal so a Final Sale has to be a final for me i.e. I know what I'm getting beforehand in terms of quality and sizing.  Don't like taking gambles no matter the deal.  Already been burned by them for a item I couldn't return.

• 2 weeks later...

So summer sales made me lose my mind, and I ended up getting a few things for around 50% off. It's basically an LVC '50s kit: 1953 Type II, 1955 Sawtooth, and 1955 501.

I've managed to hot machine wash the jacket and jeans, and I cold machine washed the shirt. I measured the pieces to the best of my ability using the BiG method, but since the jacket was quite stiff after the wash, it was a lil difficult. Here are the measurements in centimetres. 

598ab0443fb90_ScreenShot2017-08-09at4_46_42pm.png.6c0aa7c4ddf267c1e77ae0e1d937b02d.png

598ab056b0ef9_ScreenShot2017-08-09at4_47_04pm.png.561034f4b8309ddb996636731ca9982c.png

598ab06bdf0c2_ScreenShot2017-08-09at4_46_11pm.png.62b80dae9fb2a4a0c489e4811eb4c3c9.png

I've worn the shirt a few times, and the jacket and jeans have been worn for two days. I'm still considering doing the 2017-2019 DWC, so I'll continue wearing my '76s to keep these '55s under the 30-day limit.

So far, I'm really liking the fit of the jeans. They feel only a bit looser than the '76s, and it's most noticeable in the crotch/thigh area. The denim feels rougher, but it also seems slightly less hairy to me. The front and back pockets are shallower than the '76s, so it is probably going to take a bit to get used to (my phone sticks out more when it's in my back left pocket, and when I put my hands in the front ones, I pretty much have to make a fist so my palms don't peak out the top). I wouldn't call this a negative, though, because it doesn't bother me. The buttons feel kinda cheap and lightweight, but I honestly didn't expect much since I'm relatively familiar with what LVC produces. Seam puckering is looking promising, and the left leg has twisted a fair bit while the right leg has only shifted a tad. I'm sure that subsequent washes will make it better, but right now the hems are lacking in the roping department.

The jacket is pretty rad. After the first wash, the front placket has twisted to the right slightly. There's some good wrinkle action and seam puckering throughout, which I find visually appealing. This is probably a weird part to like, but I really like feeling of ridges in the fabric where the cuffs are sewn onto the sleeves, especially the inside lol The extent of hairiness is not dissimilar (oh yeeaahhh, double negatives) to the jeans.

Some of you might be wondering why I bothered to wash the shirt when it's sanforised... I found the denim to be rather flat, and I like it when the front placket is more uneven. After the wash, the denim is still a bit uninteresting, but I like the fit.

My phone + gloomy weather = shite pics, so I'll post some when I think I can take a nice shot. For now, I hope this info helps those that may be unsure about sizing! =)

Curiosity got the best of me about a month ago, and I copped a pair of LVC 1976 501's. I've been busy, and recovering from a surgery, so I've only tried them on once, let alone take any fit pics and post about them. IMO, the denim is not very stiff as raw, it's not very dark, and is quite hairy. Stitching quality and details all seem solid. Overall they are very nice, especially for Levi's, but no way would I have paid full price for them. 

Here are my raw measurements (I measure in inches, and put the into an Excel spread sheet with a conversion to cm); 

Size: 34x34

waist: 17.25" / 43.82cm 

front rise: 12.625" / 87.63cm 

back rise: 15.625" / 39.69cm 

Thigh at crotch: 13.25" / 33.66cm 

Thigh 2" down: 12.5" / 31.75cm 

Knee 14" down: 9.825" / 24.96cm 

hem: 8.325" / 21.15cm 

inseam: 34.0" / 86.36cm 

I'm on the fence if I'll ever wear them or not. I've really no interest what so ever in period-correct, historically-accurate retro anything, this model appealed to me because of the measurements and proportions. The main reason I hesitate is I'm fearful of how much they'll shrink in length if I wash them. Yeah, I now always wash my jeans, at least twice, before I wear them to get all the shrink out. I've read previous posts from fellas who are saying inseam shrinkage is around 2.5". That would put these at 31.5", and I usually like inseam length around 33". 

Edited by mpukas
added pants size

If you're wearing a 33" inseam without a lot of stack, then they'll be too short. My 76s with a tagged inseam of 34 shrank to 31.5 to 31.75". These have become my go to jeans since the end of the DWC. Starting to get some whiskers and thigh fading, though nothing dramatic enough for the camera to really capture. Really liking the fit and denim.

I think I somehow measured my '76 501's inseam incorrectly. Mine is a bit shorter than setterman's at 79cm (31.1"). If you're usually a 33" inseam then they'll be too short in my opinion unless you plan on rocking the high water look.

Here are some impressions after wearing these jeans for a few months since I wore mine while I was in the European summer for around 3.5 weeks. Under sunlight, you can see streakiness and subtle slub, but under incandescent lights, it kinda looks plain. I'm still a firm believer that denim from Cone looks rather boring to start out with, but gets significantly better with wear. I know that my gauge for "significantly" is different from others, but I'm into the vintage fades and denim that doesn't have excessive character, which may be considered blasphemous amongst denimheads.

I'm still disappointed with the stitching quality. I'm not aggressive with my jeans, and pretty much just do normal things in them (walking, retail work, sitting, but not cycling or extreme activities). I usually cuff my jeans, and the inseams rubbing against each other have caused the stitching at the fold to deteriorate at a rate that I haven't experienced before with any of my other jeans. Even the overlock is dying, but if you don't cuff your jeans then you probably won't notice this flaw. To me, the threads are plasticky in both look and feel... 

Fit-wise, I'll be using the '76s as a guide for the future when I'm looking for jeans that aren't too slim or sloppy. Now, if I could somehow get this denim in multiple fits and in a jacket...

Even Heddels reposted this news. I wonder how someone managed to just take them from their archives though... Considering that they're so valuable, you'd think their security would/should be top notch. I did, however, find it funny that people worth saying that it's in the hands of the Japanese now lol

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

@mpukas

What size did you buy in those 76s?

@Maynard - 34x34 (added to original post) 

My actual crotch length from nads to floor is about 32". I'm about 5' 11.5". I like an inseam length of around 33" so there's is some stack, but not too much, and I then have the option to cuff on occasion. I normally don't cuff. I also don't like my pants to ride up above my ankles when I sit. I'm not into the high water look,  maybe with boots, but I can't pull it off like @Hendsch does. I wish these were about an 1" longer... 

A note on measuring - I've tried measuring the waist three ways (with many different jeans, not just these 1976 501's): 1) just lying them flat, with the front lower than the rear, and tightened sideways; 2) matching the front waist to the rear, and tightening sideways; 3) the IH way, with the jeans folded sideways and the front button to one side, tightened sideways; I've found that all three methods give similar measurements, no significant differences.