Levi's Vintage Clothing

I certainly hope my 76s don't lose any more inseam. They're short enough. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure my 78s started with a 34" inseam, and I had to have them hemmed to get them to the 31.5" the 76s are already at.

as for thread color, according to Dr Heech's excellent thrifters thread at denimbro, the cooper orange was the more common color in the 70s, and the only color by the end of the decade. I wonder if lvc using any lemon yellow in the 78s was correct.

5 hours ago, setterman said:

I certainly hope my 76s don't lose any more inseam. They're short enough. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure my 78s started with a 34" inseam, and I had to have them hemmed to get them to the 31.5" the 76s are already at.

as for thread color, according to Dr Heech's excellent thrifters thread at denimbro, the cooper orange was the more common color in the 70s, and the only color by the end of the decade. I wonder if lvc using any lemon yellow in the 78s was correct.

The tobacco colour is historically correct - that's one of the hallmarks of little e jeans.

Lemon yellow had completely gone by 1970, the orange went a couple of years later. Colours of the 'fixtures and fittings" ie belt loops etc varied across the factories. But essentially orange is early 70s, tobacco is late 70s. I have posted photos of my old 76 pair on here before, can't seem to find them but if i do will post them.

It's so unusualy to see the full tobacco stitching, given how much orange and yellow we see, that for me it's one of the real pluses of the jeans. Perhaps because I associate that colour scheme with originals rather than repros.

Edited by Paul T

@TheJPdude Ahh, I see. I'm only 5'7" and I've got long legs, so I usually like my inseams to be about 30.5". Most of the time I cuff my jeans to 28" or so, but having it at 30.5" gives me the option to have my jeans sit on top of my shoes with a break in the fabric.

@Paul T Great info as always! I've also found that the '76s don't have a selvedge coin pocket. When and why did they get rid of that?

Something I've noticed with the standard '76, the denim reminds me of what SDA uses in their 101.  The Cone denim is lighter weight and far less dark, but they both have a similar feel.  And they start with a tighter weave, that just gets tighter and more dense when shrunk.  Doesn't feel like they'll breath as well as other jeans, and will naturally be more stiff without adding more starch to the mix.  And like SDA, they don't seem like they're going to have as much give at the waist as some of us might be used to with other brands.    

I'm pretty pleased with these.  My favorite pair out of all the LVC models I've owned, and while not big E, IMO should be the flagship of the LVC 501 line up.   

@Maynard Friedman Oh thanks. Had no idea it was gone by the '60s.

@Paul T Do you know the reason why they got rid of it? I've never really looked at pattern making for selvedge denim jeans, but why did it even exist in the first place? I'm assuming they wanted to make use of and/or not waste material... Did they use looms of different width that didn't allow for a selvedge coin pocket to be utilised or something? Sorry for all the questions, but never thought about this till now!

5 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

@Maynard Friedman Oh thanks. Had no idea it was gone by the '60s.

@Paul T Do you know the reason why they got rid of it? I've never really looked at pattern making for selvedge denim jeans, but why did it even exist in the first place? I'm assuming they wanted to make use of and/or not waste material... Did they use looms of different width that didn't allow for a selvedge coin pocket to be utilised or something? Sorry for all the questions, but never thought about this till now!

There were lots of changes, nearly all of them simply to speed up production and some to lower costs. "Leather-like" 2-horse label was cheaper, so was removing back pocket rivets. Keeping selvage on the outseam is already quite wasteful. I would be pretty certain that not using selvage in the watch pocket allowed them to use a very slightly shorter bolt of fabric.

@Paul T As always, thanks for the pictures and insight. You're a living treasure. :D

I also noticed that while the 78s didn't have the 'tear off tag' on the patch, the 76 do. It's yet another nice nod towards the original.

Edited by TheJPdude

5 hours ago, Broark said:

So Unionmade has the mirror jeans up on their website...for 495 dollars!
Sorry but that is just insane to me. And I've spent a lot of money on jeans before.
Maybe they'll go on sale. :D

I've heard the price is backwards too; real price is $594.

:ph34r:

8 hours ago, Broark said:

So Unionmade has the mirror jeans up on their website...for 495 dollars!
Sorry but that is just insane to me. And I've spent a lot of money on jeans before.
Maybe they'll go on sale. :D

That price is pretty ridiculous... I'd consider it if they were one of the twelve using the true deadstock fabric though lol

So... I had one of those days when I had 'time' to catch up on my various tasks which turned out to be no time at all. But I did manage to drop in at Cinch for about eight minutes and do a comparison of the dead-stock vs repro left-hand cone denim.

They are very similar in terms of texture, fluff etc. The repro fabric was a touch more grey - which gave it more of a 70s look, I guess there's a good amount of sulphur in there. In general, the repro fabric is on top - but you can easily tell the difference by looking at the loom errors.

As others have said, the straight 1976 looks great too and seems to be selling consistently.

mirrorcomparison1_zpsqwomvx5a.jpg

mirrorcomp2_zpsi5a8ivhn.jpg

mirrorcomp3_zps2ybcia5x.jpg

Great comparison!  Man I want a pair of the regular 1976s so bad but I don't think I can swing the full price at the moment.:(  I've been wanting to add a pair of Levi's to the rotation and the 1976 seems like the perfect fit to me.  Maybe one day

5 hours ago, serotonin flood said:

Great comparison!  Man I want a pair of the regular 1976s so bad but I don't think I can swing the full price at the moment.:(  I've been wanting to add a pair of Levi's to the rotation and the 1976 seems like the perfect fit to me.  Maybe one day

What size are you typically?

Pretty hyped, Grabbed a pair of the Mirror 501's. As a collector of random and numbered shit, I was pleasantly surprised to receive #321/501.

for now we have them up on the wall at The Shop, eventually Ill run em I'm sure. Neat little piece. Photo%202017-03-16%2012%2029%2025%20PM.j

2 hours ago, cool_hand said:

where can I find a pair of 1922s?

I have an untouched tagged made in USA pair on my rail, but size 32x36, and I keep debating whether to eBay them or soak them for a nice loose summer pair, but with several pairs of very early but mint condition MiJ Evisu 2001also sitting on the rail they have the priority...

1976 fit after a little bit of wear. Waistband was just not giving, so I squirted it with some water and then it stretched it by hand. This stretched it out to a more comfortable measurement that's  a little closer to raw.

IMG_6598.JPG

On 3/20/2017 at 0:02 PM, setterman said:

1976 fit after a little bit of wear. Waistband was just not giving, so I squirted it with some water and then it stretched it by hand. This stretched it out to a more comfortable measurement that's  a little closer to raw.

I noticed that the denim was not softening up as well. I've had them on my body literally every day since I got them, and they're just now starting to relax. The upshot is that they are now starting to get a little hint of whiskering only 3 weeks or so in. I've done my best to be active in these (played some outdoor hockey in them, walked around the city a lot) so maybe that helps.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:59 AM, TheJPdude said:

I noticed that the denim was not softening up as well. I've had them on my body literally every day since I got them, and they're just now starting to relax. The upshot is that they are now starting to get a little hint of whiskering only 3 weeks or so in. I've done my best to be active in these (played some outdoor hockey in them, walked around the city a lot) so maybe that helps.

I'm finding that my fabric is still feeling a bit stiff, especially behind my knees. It has that "sharp", crunchy feeling when I bend my knees tightly (if that makes sense). I've only worn mine for around a week and the combs are setting in a nice way... same with the whiskers. Since I'm a student, I sit down a lot, so the ass fades are showing up first lol

I'll post some fit pictures of my '76s later today. They're probably my favourite fit out of the current LVC 501 range, although I have a feeling I'll need to wear a belt later on.