Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 14.2.2017 at 10:05 AM, Paul T said:

So... the mirror image jeans. There are just 12 pairs made with the original fabric. It is absolutely crazy stuff as this was a training loom and there are some mega loom faults- they are also the spookiest evocation of jeans that I can remember seeing as deadstock when I was a kid, like going back in time. The cut is exactly as the originals - they based it on a deadstock pair (which obviously isn't always possible).

I will post photos soon LOL. As I was one of the first peeps they happened to talk to about the jeans, they rashly promised me a pair back in late 2015. And kept their promise. I just told them that I'd soak them soon - as if I put them in my hallowed denim box I will never wear the things. So.... hold on.

That’s really awesome! I’m looking forward to the pics and your opinion on those jeans.

I’d be very surprised if any of these 12 deadstock pairs are up for sale actually. I assume they stay inside Levi’s, Cone and affiliate persons like Paul.

A comparison between the deadstock and the repro would also be cool.

I actually picked these 1954 505's for $50. I don't think the employee had more than a second after taking my money before I ran out of the store with the stupidest grin on my face.

*And no I did not switch the tags. The store obviously did not know what they had.*

DSC00296.JPG

DSC00295.JPG

Has anyone bought the 66s recently? If so, how is the waist sizing on them, I usually wear a 32 in most jeans, including LVC so would like them to start at approx 33.5"-34" raw. I think the 66s may come up a little smaller than that so I may need a 33 instead. Thanks.

So I was able to get a pair of the 1976's. I intentionally went for a 34 inseam, despite being that I'm 6'2 (I usually go for a 36 when possible). Anyone else here rock the high water look? When I see a lot of vintage Levi's ads from the 60s and 70s a lot of dudes rocked a pretty cropped pair of jeans - and I mean before cuffing! Any opinions on this around here among the repro fans? I'm on the fence about whether or not I can pull it off. Basically I am talking no break at the hem - just straight. 

They are a cool fit for sure for those who are wondering. To me they look like the best example of a true 60s/70s 501 fit I've seen LVC produce. 

So about the fit: is this too short? Or can I pull it off late 60s style (think of those photos of the Beatles in jeans, those were some high hems!)

DSC_0670.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0672.JPG

Edited by Aviv

5 minutes ago, bod said:

From what I can see they look fine and I'm a fan of clean fit, no stacks or turn ups. Just hope they're fully shrunk?

Yea that's what i was going for for once - usually I'm always cuffing. I've been moving more towards a retro/classic/choose your term look. They are definitely fully shrunk since I gave them an agitated wash in the machine. 

On 16/02/2017 at 5:36 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Has anyone bought the 66s recently? If so, how is the waist sizing on them, I usually wear a 32 in most jeans, including LVC so would like them to start at approx 33.5"-34" raw. I think the 66s may come up a little smaller than that so I may need a 33 instead. Thanks.

Size 33 raw bought within the last year (BiG method):

Waist - 34" (17" across)

Front Rise - 12"

Back Rise - 16"

Upper Thigh - 12.5" - 12.75"

Leg Opening/hem - 8.5"

Inseam - 36"

On 2/17/2017 at 9:37 AM, Aviv said:

So I was able to get a pair of the 1976's. I intentionally went for a 34 inseam, despite being that I'm 6'2 (I usually go for a 36 when possible). Anyone else here rock the high water look? When I see a lot of vintage Levi's ads from the 60s and 70s a lot of dudes rocked a pretty cropped pair of jeans - and I mean before cuffing! Any opinions on this around here among the repro fans? I'm on the fence about whether or not I can pull it off. Basically I am talking no break at the hem - just straight. 

They are a cool fit for sure for those who are wondering. To me they look like the best example of a true 60s/70s 501 fit I've seen LVC produce. 

So about the fit: is this too short? Or can I pull it off late 60s style (think of those photos of the Beatles in jeans, those were some high hems!)

DSC_0670.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0672.JPG

I think the fit and denim of these look great.  How come they aren't on the Levi's website?

Hey there, 

It's my first time posting here. I recently picked up a pair of the 1976 501s in a size 31/34 and thought you might like to know the measurements/shrinkage. For all my unsanforized denim, I usually do a hot machine wash (around 50°C) with just a regular spin which also includes a cold rinse. In my experience, that usually gets rid of all the initial shrinkage along with some indigo. So yeah, here are the measurements BiG style in both the Metric and Imperial system!

Presoak/wash LVC 1976 501 31/34 

Waist: 41cm (16.1")

Front rise: 29.5cm (11.6")

Back rise: 38.5cm (15.2")

Thigh: 31cm (12.2")

Knee: 23.5cm (9.3")

Hem: 21cm (8.3")

Inseam: 83.5cm (32.9")

I'm still waiting for them to dry, so I'll come back and edit this post when they do. Hopefully they'll be dry by tonight since it's pretty warm here in Australia. 

fxAxOQl.jpg

Alrighty, so the results are in and man, did they do some shrinking!

Post soak/wash LVC 1976 501 31/34

Waist: 38cm (15")

Front rise: 28cm (11")

Back rise: 37.5cm (14.8")

Thigh: 29.5cm (11.6")

Knee: 22.5cm (8.9")

Hem: 20cm (7.9")

Inseam: 77cm (30.3")

Overall, I'm quite a fan of the fit. I'm currently wearing some 1947s in the same size that were made circa 2015. If people would like measurements of that pair, I'll gladly provide them. Just on this first wear, the 1976s feel a bit roomier in the thighs and knees than the 1947s. The front rise is very similar to one another and the back rise is a tad lower. I dare say that they are more comfortable on first wear than my 1947s because those are starting to feel rather tight (so much so that I feel like I'm cutting my circulation in my left thigh/knee). I haven't done the measurements yet, but my assumption is that the hip area is wider.

Fit pics will be posted some time in the near future if you guys want them. Hope this was helpful to those that plan on purchasing these online!

Edited by propellerbeanie

Someone posted a link on Denimbro to the caliroots site for the 1976 mirror jeans. There are photos, measurements and the date they will begin selling them (5 days from now) for $385. They say there are 501 pairs available for sale; looks like they will not all be from the deadstock denim.

Edited by lance

the

1 hour ago, Cucoo said:

The UK sterling price on Caliroots is £350. I'm expecting them to be closer to £300 in the UK. Anyone know what the US price will be?

5 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yeah Paul already said that the deadstock fabric only lasted for 12 pairs. And I higly doubt any of the deadstock jeans are for sale at all

Makes me wonder why retailers are asking 385 bucks for them (other than a quick profit)?

2 hours ago, lance said:

Makes me wonder why retailers are asking 385 bucks for them (other than a quick profit)?

They are a lot of money but I guess developing the denim for only 500 pairs bumps up the cost, and they'll be asking a premium for the limited edition aspect. I love my pair, but the regular 1976 pair look good to me, especially given it's a pretty authentic and distinctive cut.