Levi's Vintage Clothing

By the way, I checked, and those who thought the 1915 denim had changed are right.

Apparently the first version (which I liked a lot, and which was closely related to the Roy contest jeans) was deemed to be slightly too heavy. LVC have gone through and made the actual weights more consistent, and this move was part of that. I don't know what similarities or difference there are in the look, apart from the lighter weight, but it is definitely a new recipe.

And for those who care about such things, here's a story on the fella designs the yarn for Cone. Cone are still about the only denim mills who design their own yarns from scratch, other folks will simply buy in yarns from spinning plants.

Received my type 1 LVC from the Levis.com sale today. Threw it in the wash to get rid of the shrinkage up front and was surprised at how much crocking and indigo loss there was! Don't typically experience this much/any from other denim items that I can recall (last was maybe the LVC 47's I had maybe), but I'll definitely be wary washing these moving forward. They don't have as much of the "feel" and heaviness that we (often inaccurately) associate with quality in the fabric, buttons, rivets, etc. but it was a good deal so I won't complain.

Cheers unders, these are definitely going to be worn. I bought them secondhand a couple of years ago. They'd had an initial wash/soak and had been worn once or twice I think, basically new. I believe theyd  been stored away and needed freshening up so I gave them another wash, which took care of the remaining shrinkage. They're more like a 32 than a 33 and fit really well, not too loose. I'll need to hem them by an inch or so and they'll be perfect.

On 24/01/2017 at 5:08 AM, aho said:

Received my type 1 LVC from the Levis.com sale today. Threw it in the wash to get rid of the shrinkage up front and was surprised at how much crocking and indigo loss there was!

Yeah I've had that from flinging a pair of raw 54's straight in the machine a couple of years ago, they came out with seriously blue pockets!

i´ve just received the newest incarnation of the 1890 which i got at good price on ebay.

beautiful and very light loomstate denim of a bright shade of blue, the brightest blue of all LVC denim so far.

but be aware: now they fit really true to stated size. i barely fit into em. so if you wear w30 at todays standart Lee or Levi`s,

you need to get a W32 for the 1890s... i remember earlier versions that were totally oversized.

On 1/24/2017 at 0:08 AM, aho said:

Received my type 1 LVC from the Levis.com sale today. Threw it in the wash to get rid of the shrinkage up front and was surprised at how much crocking and indigo loss there was! Don't typically experience this much/any from other denim items that I can recall (last was maybe the LVC 47's I had maybe), but I'll definitely be wary washing these moving forward. They don't have as much of the "feel" and heaviness that we (often inaccurately) associate with quality in the fabric, buttons, rivets, etc. but it was a good deal so I won't complain.

I just washed a new pair of rigid1966s that I had stored for a while with cold water and gentle cycle 26min to get the initial shrinkage out and they also seem to have lost a lot of indigo compared to when new. It might just be cause they are wet still or I haven't dealt with LVC in years don't know what to expect. Maybe I should of hot soaked them but I feel that whole process to be so extra and unnecessary. 

These had a button code of 42 and a tag code of 4420. Definitely made oversized, Tagged 34X32 but the waist measured around 35.5" raw laid flat.

Edited by HAZARDkid
incorrect information about cycle - fixed

To update the info above - I let them line dry in my garage for about 2 hours until they stopped dripping then I brought them inside to dry overnight. They are pretty crispy now and can stand on their own. They actually don't seem to have lost that much indigo with the gentle machine wash and I am happy with the amount of shrinkage I got from my washing machines gentle cycle. '

Tagged 34x32 - raw measurement was 35.5" in the wasit laid flat. After the wash they now measure 33" waist, 29.5" inseam and 8" leg opening (I think they were about 8.3-8.4ish before the wash).

Edited by HAZARDkid
Added info

I found a pair of 1964 LVC Vintage 505's at Century 21 Store for $50!

It's genuine. Keep going there periodically especially between seasons for the fashion industry. You get some really good stuff. I couldn't believe I got these 505's at this price!

*And no......I am not a C21 employee, nor do I have any association with them. Just wanted to share some info with my fellow denim enthusiasts.

4 hours ago, bod said:

I'd say LVC stain my bath the most of all the jeans I've had, they're like a leaky biro!

Those will stretch back an inch easy I had the same size 34 a couple of years ago.

Do you remember the original length of the jeans or how much shrinkage you got out of them? I forgot to measure them before the wash. I have a pair of 1947xx rigid from the same 4420 code and the waist is ~35" and the length is 32". I'm assuming they were a bit over 32". One day LVC will get it right and make it easier for all of us....

Edited by HAZARDkid

On 04/01/2017 at 8:51 AM, Paul T said:

Cone had a very old loom in reception on display called the Model X. They are always looking for more vintage looms, as the bulk of the original ones were scrapped, so they decided to look at this one and see if they could get it working. They happened to mention to Levi's that there was still denim actually on the loom; they were instantly, "deadstock Cone denim? Let's use it in some new jeans?"

THen when Cone had a better look they realised it was left hand twill - which is synonymous with Lee. Levi's have never made a 501 with left hand twill. Levi's decided that the only way to make it feel right is to do a 1978 jean that is a mirror image of the 501.

By the way, deep pocket fans; best jeans for this are definitely Roy. He has lovely deep pockets, often with cotton duck linings, which I've always really liked. mpukas, roy does make great jeans.

Thanks for the info. I enquired again about the jeans and the store and they said the same story - deadstock found on an old loom. What isn't clear is if any of the jeans will be made from the dead-stock or are they all being made from new reproduction LHT dead-stock, or a mixture of both? The edition is apparently 500 pairs, price TBC - but they thought they would be around £300! BTW: I thought the jean is a 1976 model not 1978?

there will be a regular repro of the 1976, aleady to find here:

http://www.hanon-shop.com/i/q/264080000/levis-vintage-1976-501-jeans

and the limited "mirror" jeans(also based on the 1976) will be made from deadstock lefthand twill.

all details of the jeans will be mirrored, from the patch to the rivets, since 501s always came in right hand twill.

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

So I noticed something weird on Levis.com: Check it

These are in fact the new 1976 501, you can see from the style number (I checked it against Paul and Williams photo album for the SS17 collection which lists the style numbers for each piece). I called Levis.com and told them. They had no idea what I was talking about obviously. But why are these $285, the usual price point for the historic 501s? Not to mention you can tell from the photo they are obviously not the 606s. I wonder if it will actually get fixed? 

I had a 30% coupon that worked so I ordered a pair to check them out since the photos - as usual - tell me nothing about the jeans - especially on that 90 pound man-boy model. Hopefully the warehouse sends me the correct item based on style number and not the name and I'll post some real life fit shots of the new 76! 

Edited by Aviv

I bought a pair of once-soaked, never worn 1955 501s for really cheap on eBay a little while back and they arrived last week. I was actually looking for a 701 to get that fitted top-block, loose leg cut, but figured that these are close enough, especially for 1/4 of the price. Anyway, must say I'm positively suprised by the denim and how much they bleed, and also that wear is so visible after just four days. Dig the fit too, so: Success! 

So... the mirror image jeans. There are just 12 pairs made with the original fabric. It is absolutely crazy stuff as this was a training loom and there are some mega loom faults- they are also the spookiest evocation of jeans that I can remember seeing as deadstock when I was a kid, like going back in time. The cut is exactly as the originals - they based it on a deadstock pair (which obviously isn't always possible).

I will post photos soon LOL. As I was one of the first peeps they happened to talk to about the jeans, they rashly promised me a pair back in late 2015. And kept their promise. I just told them that I'd soak them soon - as if I put them in my hallowed denim box I will never wear the things. So.... hold on.