Levi's Vintage Clothing

Thanks Flash,

I guess these are worth up to 5000 bucks, so wearing and knowing that i have other neat pairs, such as big john rare, jelado or mister freedom lot.64, it just wouldn make sense to wear a museums piece. you know, you can drive an old car and keep it in good condition, but denim... also I have another pair from the late 60s i wear from time to time.

also the leather like is so crisp, it already lost on edge in the box. btw. if anyone has an idea how soften it up again, i'd be happy to here from you.

I found a pair of (seemingly) vintage Levi's at a local thrift store and was hoping some of you could help me out. Through some research, I think they're from about the late 70's/early 80's.  I don't expect them to be worth too much, but certainly more than the few bucks I paid for them.  The care tag puts them between 1970 and 1985 I believe, but they don't have a big E or one sided tag so later than 1971.  They don't have hidden rivets but do have black bar tacks on the back pockets.  The back patch is pretty faded so that doesn't give me much information as far as size/model go.  Here are some pictures, any ideas what they could be worth? I've got an interested party and would like to give a fair price.

tumblr_o384dehqs31qbajzgo1_400.jpgtumblr_o384dehqs31qbajzgo2_400.jpgtumblr_o384dehqs31qbajzgo3_540.jpg

Edited by VivaMarlon

^$30-45 max? They can get listed on eBay for up to $90 in the past few years but doubt anyone buys them for that price

EDIT: I should mention, my estimates are based on condition/wash/fading

Awesome, I was thinking $30-$40 as well.  I tried looking on eBay for pairs in similar conditions from around the same time period to see some comparisons but it's so saturated with so many auctions, it's a bit hard to find exactly what you're looking for. Thanks for all of your help!

@VivaMarlon,

watch out for the back pocktes, do the have single stitched horizontal lines rather than chainstitched ones at the inside!?

If so they are made between 1971-1976, the othere case would be 1977-1983.

I forgot to mention that, also checked for that when doing my research.  Unfortunately, the back pockets are chainstitched on the inside.  Thank you, that would put them about in the time period I initially guessed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - I'm making my way over from /r/rawdenim. Looks like it's a very knowledgable group over here. 

I picked up a pair of '78s during the last LVC sale and absolutely love them. As Sympathy-For-The-Denim noted, whatever Cone denim they're using now is hairy and has a nice texture. I'm liking my '78s, except for maybe the rise. As someone noted a few pages back, compared to a pair of true 78-83's, the rise is probably 1" shorter. 

So, I've begun to study up and look around for some 1890s, 1944s, and 1947s. Looking for a really high rise is all. 

Also, I've seen some people note that they don't think these LVC are worth it? I guess I am a little confused. I've tried on dozens of pairs of premium Japanese denim and while the texture could be seen as unique, I felt like I couldn't find a fit I really liked. My proportions are all weird for Sugarcane 1947s, and they looked terrible on me. Any other button-fly that had a relaxed fit had a F/R rise that I didn't like as well. 

So, yes - $260 is a lot of money for a pair of jeans. But, if the material is nice and the fit is spot on, is it not worth it for something manufactured and made in the USA?

@TheJPdude,

well if you like to pay that price go fine with your LVC jeans, I understand you, since I collect their collections on from the beginng and love all the variations in detail. I only have very few japanese jeans and yes the fits aren´t the best, to me a '44 or '47 501 still got the best fit to me. The good thing with LVC is, that now or then you will find these at 50% bargain, I actually never paid the full price for a pair.

But if you like high rise jeans you maybe could try a Lot 64 by Mister Freedom, japanese denim but made in the US.

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like those models are using Cone denim? Maybe I'm looking at a different variation.

I actually acquired my '78 LVC through the sale and got them for $50, which to me is a steal. Does Levi's ever put them on sale on the site? Or is it only through the retail stores?

I guess that it does feel weird to pay $260 if you know there's a possibility that they could be much less during a sale. But then, what if you wait all year and they don't have or run out of your size? I would be mad!

Quick question, how much shrinkage is in the Sunset Shirt? I put mine through a 30° wash but the size s is still way too large for me, just want to know if trying a hotter wash would improve things or if I should just get rid of it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,I have some questions about the size choosing, I got a pair of 55501 with w31,that fit me very well. So witch size suit me about the 47 or 66 or 44 type? Is the same size w31 good for me?

Thanks so much for that!

Well, that´s difficult, because there are recent variations in sizing and this always had been a problem within the LVC line.

I would suggest, to let give you the actual measurements of the pair you wanna buy. In general it was that 55, 66, and 44 run

bigger than the 47. So you should go with a W32 since they are slimfit, but again be aware of the sizing issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get thoughts on these guys:  http://imgur.com/a/xXDHt#E2oCVep

I'm interested in buying them; seller thought that they were deadstock 1966 501s based on the flasher, but I think these are from 1973.  Things I see:

-No V stitch

-6 embossed on top button

-Single stitched pocket

-Care instructions stamped on pocket bag, no sewn-in care tag

-Little "e" red tag

Anyone have any concerns about these being fake or something other than authentic '73 501s?

Edited by Big_Hoss_Butt_Floss

• 1 month later...

I picked up a pair of LVC 67 505's at a garage sale for $20. They were never worn, but only had the waist label attached. New to LVC selvage, but not new to selvage. Are all the 67 505's sanforized? The waist is correct, but I need them hemmed and would like to know which way I will go.

So how accurate are the 67 505's? Just curious as all I wore from the early 1970's until the early 90's were 505's. Sometimes I wore STF 501's, but liked the 505's better. The 67 505's I just got feel different than I remember...still comfortable, just different.

• 3 months later...

I posted earlier about a denimshirt my girlfriend picked up at a thrift shop some 20 years ago. It's, among other things, a white tab Big E shirt, made in GB and I have a hard time figuring out if its even genuine or fake. Paul T said he needed pic's and now I hope I have read the "post pic-manual for idiots" correctly(though I doubt it) and can post pic´s. Does anyone know anything about this shirt?

287glqv.jpg

24gq935.jpg

wgudlt.jpg

21ex6qe.jpg

Best regard

Probably made in Cardigan Bay, in Wales -  there was a town that did all the UK denim (for M&S and any number of seventies upstarts) that is now being exploited by Hiut Denim.

Look up Hiut, they have a good fades and fixes insta and some backstory if you're interested. I gave away a pair of black "made in UK" 501s when I lived in Aberystwyth..

• 2 weeks later...